MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaming Laptop? AdelaisAer Computers & Tech 14 10-21-2011 03:56 AM
My $500 Gaming PC Build Tailsnake Computers & Tech 14 05-29-2011 08:14 PM
GAMING MAYHEM!!! FREE PLAY 'Til May [email protected] GAMING CENTRE Pownz Gaming 4 05-08-2010 05:22 PM
Computer Gaming - Mac Lan Club kevinf General Discussion 11 03-01-2008 03:43 PM

I have until Monday to choose a gaming laptop

Old 12-17-2011 at 12:49 PM   #46
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
I don't want you persuade or anything but why spend a lot of money for useless staff? Ram with 1866 MHz, 1.5 TB Hard Drive RAID 0, Blu-ray Burner(really?), Cooling compound, Windows 7 = 120+145+175+80+40=560 extra. Do yourself favor and download Win 8 Dev for free.SSD x5-10 faster than RAID 0. RAM more than 6gb is pretty much useless for gaming, 1866 is even more irrelevant.Now it is up to you what to do. Aside, I've no idea what would anyone spend that much for gaming, let alone laptop.As mentioned before, if I were you, I wouldn't spend more than 1k for laptop. let alone for gaming.
WEll, the blu-ray drive I need. But for the RAM, yeah; I guess I could lower the amount. As for harddrive space, I'd like at least 750GB of space. SSD is expensive.
Old 12-17-2011 at 02:21 PM   #47
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Does it need to be a Blu-ray burner though?
Old 12-17-2011 at 02:23 PM   #48
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Does it need to be a Blu-ray burner though?
Well, I guess not. o-o; Though it would be nice to have some time, but I can always just buy a new one and replace it.
Old 12-17-2011 at 06:29 PM   #49
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

google laptop processor and laptop graphic card.
View through all ur selections and find the average of overall better GPU+GFX. base ur choice on that
Old 12-17-2011 at 10:39 PM   #50
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

$2500...facepalm. what a waste
Old 12-18-2011 at 10:10 AM   #51
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

ya just because your budget is that high doesn't mean you have to hit it
Old 12-18-2011 at 10:11 AM   #52
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

why not get one decent gaming desk and a laptop for school? u can get both with that budget
Old 12-18-2011 at 10:57 AM   #53
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

I am not trying to hit my budget just because I can. o_O; I am looking for something that can last me two years at least without me having to replace it with a new laptop. I am looking through all the choices in this thread again and again to try to and determine what'd be best.

And as I said, I don't want a desktop, because I'd rather be able to take my gaming with me. I know, I'm foolish and stubborn, but eh. o-o;

EDIT: ALSO...If I order from Malibal, it means it ships from the US, and then I have to pay taxes on the laptop due to customs. So I guess that option's out.

Last edited by AdelaisAer : 12-18-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:07 AM   #54
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
I am not trying to hit my budget just because I can. o_O; I am looking for something that can last me two years at least without me having to replace it with a new laptop. I am looking through all the choices in this thread again and again to try to and determine what'd be best.

And as I said, I don't want a desktop, because I'd rather be able to take my gaming with me. I know, I'm foolish and stubborn, but eh. o-o;

tldr: get the 3k$, use half of it max, and save half for upgrades/replacement. Maybe in about a year you find yourself not even doing 'mobile computing' or 'intensive mobile computing' (i.e. you can play sc2 on low and still have fun) that much and desire a desktop sooner?
What games do you play that require insane computing?

What games are you playing? Do you forsee its stats actually remaining up to date for a full three years? Consider this: you pay 3k$ on a sweet machine, but in 1.5 years, video technlogy, memory, etc all goes insane, and your cool graphics card (now) becomes unfortunately outdated.

Regardless, best advice is to aim low, try to make sure your machine can swap out components (hard to get around soldered pins of gfx cards of some builds though). Do you think it makes sense to invest heavily in one particular thing, or would it be better to spend 1.5k$ now, and save that other 1.5k$ for upgrades or complete replacement? Its entirely possible to buy a computer now for half of what you intend to spend, make a warrenty claim, get a little bit of money back, and use that refunded money and your saved money to buy something still 'competitive' later.

AdelaisAer says thanks to RyanC for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:25 AM   #55
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

dont overspend on a gaming laptop. chances are it's gona die out within a few years and it is hard to replace individual parts
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:29 AM   #56
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

I do agree with everything you're saying.

Uh, for videogames, I'd like to be able to fully support games like Skyrim (still iffy about getting it, but I might actually do it), Starcraft 2 (yes I have it), the up-coming Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, and the ever-so-intensive Grand Theft Auto 4. The choices are not for gaming only, though; they will also aid me with my multimedia courses where I have to deal with intensive amounts of videos and graphics and rendering and all that crap. But yeah, mostly gaming. *cough*

ADD: Well, if I were to aim low, should I just go with the original Asus from eBGames (although I'll buy it from Newegg or whatever)? Also, if I do decide to go with a desktop instead of laptop *GASP*, then where should I buy it from? Alienware? XPS? Sony (their All-In-Ones)?

Last edited by AdelaisAer : 12-18-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:22 PM   #57
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
I do agree with everything you're saying.

Uh, for videogames, I'd like to be able to fully support games like Skyrim (still iffy about getting it, but I might actually do it), Starcraft 2 (yes I have it), the up-coming Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, and the ever-so-intensive Grand Theft Auto 4. The choices are not for gaming only, though; they will also aid me with my multimedia courses where I have to deal with intensive amounts of videos and graphics and rendering and all that crap. But yeah, mostly gaming. *cough*

ADD: Well, if I were to aim low, should I just go with the original Asus from eBGames (although I'll buy it from Newegg or whatever)? Also, if I do decide to go with a desktop instead of laptop *GASP*, then where should I buy it from? Alienware? XPS? Sony (their All-In-Ones)?
I spent 1100 on a dell studio a year and a half ago and I can play skyrim just fine on high... If it only needs to last two years you could do far better then paying premium on top of the line parts that will depreciate faster then iphones
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:25 PM   #58
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
I spent 1100 on a dell studio a year and a half ago and I can play skyrim just fine on high... If it only needs to last two years you could do far better then paying premium on top of the line parts that will depreciate faster then iphones
o_O Really? Ha. Alright. I'll head over to Dell's website and take a look then. Thanks. o-o;
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:36 PM   #59
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
o_O Really? Ha. Alright. I'll head over to Dell's website and take a look then. Thanks. o-o;
no problem. Mind you I still wouldn't suggest you go buy a dell for gaming, sure it can handle it but I feel like someday my motherboard is just going to fry it gets so hot. I bought the dell because it was the cheapest laptop for the parts I was getting. i7 1.60 GHZ, 4GB RAM, ATI 4650 1GB GPU, 500GB HD, 1600x900 screen 17.3". Not what you are looking for exactly but at the time it was a great price and it can handle any game on the market.

That being said I'd still suggest an Asus. I look at my friends Asus and it feels like a microwave out the side of the thing it deals with heat so well and just looks so solid and built for gaming. You can also get great parts for fair prices on Asus's like the one I posted earlier. My next laptop (I plan on my dell lasting atleast until 4th year but hopefully until i graduate) will be an asus with an SSD. Unless i get a desktop... but anyways I'd highly suggest Asus and getting an SSD along with a regular hard drive. Installing your OS and programs to the SSD makes them much faster. You can then just store your files on the regular hard drive
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:39 PM   #60
julianface
Elite Member

On Sale at amazon (canadian one too!). Free shipping as well.

That Asus I posted before

Also comes with an SSD alongside the 750GB drive

AdelaisAer says thanks to julianface for this post.

AdelaisAer, RyanC like this.