MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guys. Guys. Kitten Live Stream. Amaryll General Discussion 7 11-18-2012 10:27 AM
Thode o_O RememberTwce Academics 1 03-22-2011 10:52 AM
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
New Thode Layout? britb General Discussion 7 05-20-2010 08:24 PM
Annoying site error... Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 15 05-05-2010 11:48 AM

Have you guys met this annoying guy at Thode?

Old 03-16-2013 at 09:01 PM   #31
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Those students that visited attended a arranged event by the University. I see tours taken place and they all have a student body representative with them.

Even if they don't, unlike this guy, they aren't harassing students here.

University's regulations might legally allow this right now but we can demand they change it. I might make it my platform for MSU next year if you feel strongly enough about it.
Old 03-16-2013 at 11:00 PM   #32
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
Those students that visited attended a arranged event by the University. I see tours taken place and they all have a student body representative with them.

University's regulations might legally allow this right now but we can demand they change it. I might make it my platform for MSU next year if you feel strongly enough about it.
There is absolutely no practical way to change it, nor is that necessary. You can't require people to swipe a student ID card every time they enter a building (even if you tried to implement it, think of all the tailgating that would happen), and as a public institution, McMaster shouldn't be closed off to the public.

Old 03-17-2013 at 03:48 AM   #33
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Rather than calling campus security on him, someone should really call campus security on the three filipino people (two women and 1 man) going around campus asking for change for their fraudulent "orphaned children" (or whatever it is now) charity. Tired of security services sitting around and doing nothing while all this stuff goes on.

But anyway, can't you just tell him that you're busy?

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 03-17-2013 at 07:44 AM   #34
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Rather than calling campus security on him, someone should really call campus security on the three filipino people (two women and 1 man) going around campus asking for change for their fraudulent "orphaned children" (or whatever it is now) charity. Tired of security services sitting around and doing nothing while all this stuff goes on.

I don't think there's a need (yet) to call security on Thode guy. It's just stupid how he finds students to do his work for him. And students don't know better man, they try to be helpful but they are just wasting their time. He is wasting THEIR time. Sure you can say no or you're busy. I have done that. But a lot of students out there are nice and don't see through his bullsh*t.

On another note however, I have also seen those 3 filipinos. The man came up to me and made small talks and I followed along just because we shared some common things in terms of where we grew up in Asia. But I could smell bullish*t as soon as he approached me. I was just trying to be nice actually, I had friends to meet. Anyways but the other two girls or ladies or w.e, now those guys are dumb. They can't even introduce their organization properly. All I remember them saying was "Donate Asia?" One time I was just randomly walking behind Thode following the side walk path and the one lady was walking opposite towards me. As soon as we crossed path she just suddenly turns around like wtf and asks me for a donation. I later saw both girls outside BSB and I just told them "I already dealt with you people already" and walked along. But I couldn't help but look back to see the sucker that got stuck with them. I wanted to help the fellow out. Are these guys legit? Either way, they'll ask you for a donation in the most random places without proper introduction to who they are and what their organization is. Screw these ppl

Old 03-17-2013 at 02:38 PM   #35
Ponyo

Liked: 278 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post

i was walking from class late one day and they stopped me and kept talking for 10 minutes even though i said i had no change right when he started talking
but i don't think security should be called, they weren't really harming anyone

and that guy in thode if its the same one i met, i'm pretty sure he has a kid, he was with him sometime last week (shouldn't he be in school :/)
Edit: it was march break last week nvm
Old 03-17-2013 at 02:40 PM   #36
MHResident

Liked: 5 Times

Say no, no passive aggressive

You wasted your time? sucks for you
Old 03-17-2013 at 02:56 PM   #37
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
but i don't think security should be called, they weren't really harming anyone
That's not really the problem. You're not supposed to be on campus soliciting donations without the permission of the school. There are strict restrictions in place even on msu CLUBs for how they're allowed to fundraiser and advertise, so these scammers shouldn't be allowed to just wander around ripping innocent people off with no consequences. They frequent the downtown area a lot, including around the convention centre, asking people for money as well. They were even at limeridge mall's food court once.

Honestly when you think about the poor kids who donate money to them thinking it's a real cause, it's just sad, because there are many legit charitable groups on campus needing donations.
Old 03-17-2013 at 10:49 PM   #38
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

If we are ranting about people that piss us off on campus, lets brings up all the club reps that walk around mills with cupcakes and cookies asking for donations to every single person in the library. Im fine with donation based fundraising, but to have a different person at least once a day come by and force a conversation with me?? If i want to donate to your cause, i will find a booth that you are sitting at. I cant stand looking up from my work to see someone standing there waiting to try selling me a cupcake, a man could go broke working in that library. I want to just bring a sign with me stating "no solicitors"

Old 03-18-2013 at 09:53 AM   #39
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
health sci

or humanities
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
How come you get to say this without consequences but I got warned for saying biology wasn't a science?
As of one week ago, light faculty 'bashing' was deemed appropriate conduct for the forums so long as it doesn't target an individual specifically.
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:46 AM   #40
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
ohshit the nigerian princes have landed
If this is the same guy I met in the summer, he told me he was from Ghana and he is here doing his masters and would like to meet more friends. He offers to take people for dinner or coffee if they help.
Maybe next time one of you see him, ask him about his masters and ask him who his supervisor is. Get to know the reason behind all this. Maybe he is indeed lonely and need friends to help him get through this transition.

AC17, Zebedee, ZSimon all say thanks to kimzy for this post.

Old 03-18-2013 at 06:55 PM   #41
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
If we are ranting about people that piss us off on campus, lets brings up all the club reps that walk around mills with cupcakes and cookies asking for donations to every single person in the library. Im fine with donation based fundraising, but to have a different person at least once a day come by and force a conversation with me?? If i want to donate to your cause, i will find a booth that you are sitting at. I cant stand looking up from my work to see someone standing there waiting to try selling me a cupcake, a man could go broke working in that library. I want to just bring a sign with me stating "no solicitors"
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

Afsha-noon, britb, Entropy, Ponyo like this.
Old 03-19-2013 at 02:40 AM   #42
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Now that everyone knows about him, I have a feeling that he's gonna get into a lot of shit next time he asks for help teehee

Afsha-noon, omgwtfitsp like this.
Old 03-19-2013 at 08:10 AM   #43
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
If this is the same guy I met in the summer, he told me he was from Ghana and he is here doing his masters and would like to meet more friends. He offers to take people for dinner or coffee if they help.
Maybe next time one of you see him, ask him about his masters and ask him who his supervisor is. Get to know the reason behind all this. Maybe he is indeed lonely and need friends to help him get through this transition.
Apparently he doesn't go to McMaster and you may feel bad that he's being bashed right now but the truth is you never dealt with him like I, or some of the other people here did. I can tell he's not very considerate about it. All he cares about is his own stupid work. Im not sure if you read my post, but when I went to help him the second time around, he was just telling me he forgot how to do it, "can you do it for me again" he said that little bastard. So I'm trying to be nice and do it for him again and he's just sitting at his chair right beside me just eating snacks and not even LOOKING at the screen. Scr*w him that douche bag, you won't know until you've seen in person what he asks from you. He had no intens of learning what I was trying to show him. And the whole taking out to dinner thing is bullshit. He only asks for girls' numbers and I've confirmed with 3 other girls that this is true.
Old 03-19-2013 at 11:20 AM   #44
Eric_G

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post

Good luck convincing the public university, which is public property that it should bar access to the public.

Old 03-19-2013 at 12:09 PM   #45
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_G View Post
Good luck convincing the public university, which is public property that it should bar access to the public.
You can do anything you set your mind to!

Zebedee likes this.