MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Making friends? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 78 09-05-2010 09:05 PM
Difficulty of ECON 1BB3 ragedevil67 Academics 21 06-25-2010 11:20 AM
Electrical/Biomed Difficulty TedMosby Academics 32 06-24-2010 08:56 PM
Stats 1L03 - Difficulty Jake General Discussion 3 09-13-2009 12:21 AM

Having difficulty making friends

Old 09-06-2010 at 04:15 AM   #16
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Just go with the flow and be yourself.
Old 09-06-2010 at 07:45 AM   #17
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid.Hasan View Post
post up in your common room and be a champion
pretttttttyyyyyyy much.

Someone will eventually come in and talk to them
Old 09-06-2010 at 10:00 AM   #18
chengtc

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
Hmm.. Any tips for a commuting student? :S
Definitely clubsfest. I would highly suggest you join as many clubs as you can first year, go to their meetings and then shortlist to a few that you feel more interest in. Just participate in the activities and you'll meet people from different faculities! Most importantly just be open-minded...people are a lot more approachable than you think

If you like sport, you can always go to the gym between/ after classes. I know I met a lot of my friends playing pickup basketball in the sports hall. There are also special interest extracurricular classes, like dancing, karate, etc so definitely check them out!
Old 09-12-2010 at 08:46 AM   #19
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

dont worry there are a lot of people feeling the same way as you right now, just when you see somone introduce yourself and program and just have a nice chat with them, i no its a lot harder to do than it sounds but just give it a shot cause most likely everyone wants to make some new friends.

And honestly ill tell you a last minute trick to attracting a lot of people.....go to your common room and bake some cookies or cinnom rolls and i assure you people are going to flock to you and that smell and you probably gonna make like 20 new friends rite there
Old 09-12-2010 at 08:54 AM   #20
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
just go up to people
today at Les Prince
a couple of us went down all 6 floors and said hey to each and every person
it only takes one person to start it
and by the time you're at the bottom floor, you'll have a whole bunch of people behind you
LOL! We did this last year in Woodstock. STarted with about 3-4 ended up with over 50. I think at the end people were confused as to what was going on.
Old 09-12-2010 at 09:01 AM   #21
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

rofl honestly so much ways to make friends at rez XD
Old 09-12-2010 at 09:51 AM   #22
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Don't obsess too much over making friends - imho, university is for learning, its a job. Friends are nice and everything, but I'll take an extra 10% over an extra 10 friends.

It's not the end of the world if you don't know anyone. I have maybe two or three close ones here (that I knew before coming, the rest of my HS friends scattered) and a couple of people I've had labs or projects with, but I never see them. It gets a little lonely a times, but I don't mind at all, considering I commute and don't stick around much.

So, no pressure?

manap3000 likes this.
Old 09-20-2010 at 10:26 AM   #23
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

so you still having trouble or you doing fyne now?
Old 09-20-2010 at 11:04 AM   #24
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

to me friends are only necessary when your done everything (like friday) and have nothing else to do and you need a smoking buddy, we all know how rare that scenario is (like maybe two days in the whole week).
Old 09-22-2010 at 04:17 PM   #25
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
to me friends are only necessary when your done everything (like friday) and have nothing else to do and you need a smoking buddy, we all know how rare that scenario is (like maybe two days in the whole week).
TWO DAYS?!? What are you, health sci?

(j/k, no hate!)
Old 09-24-2010 at 03:43 PM   #26
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
Hi, I moved in on Saturday and I'm having difficulty meeting new people, and talking to them. My roommate seems to know everyone so she'll hang out with others so I'm all alone. I've got no one to go with and like all my neighbours have gotten to know each other quite well so they'll like all bond in a room and it's difficult approaching a group. I don't want to have to knock and interrupt their party. I don't even know what I should talk about with people to introduce myself or get to know them, what should I do? I really want to make this year a good one and get to meet people, it's just difficult and very intimidating.
If your good friends with your room mate, you could probably ask her if you could join along - at least then you'll have some one to introduce you and such.
Old 09-24-2010 at 06:14 PM   #27
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
Hmm.. Any tips for a commuting student? :S

There isn't much difference between a commuter kid not making friend and a rez kid not making one, cept that the rez kid has the opportunity to interact with people once the sun goes down, which can actually lead to some pretty fun experiences (especially if you're in Brandon, from what I hear. Thrusting and ninja cows, anyone?)

Remember that almost everyone in your classes are first years. They're just as awkward as you when it comes to this. What I do recommend, is although you may be inclined to stick with the people you know from highschool/other pre-university whatnots, try your best not to. UNLESS you both are in a friend making mission together, which can be really cool then.

doug likes this.