Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
course textbook recommendation scarletfire Academics 6 06-28-2010 12:15 PM

Headphones Recommendation

Old 02-05-2011 at 04:35 PM   #1
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Headphones Recommendation
I've been looking at getting some over-ear headphones, mostly iFrogz and Skullcandy. From what I've seen on Amazon.com, narrowed it down to these two: 1 2. I'm leaning towards the latter, and would greatly appreciate suggestions from someone knowledgeable in the area before I buy. Recommendations for completely different products would also be appreciated. Complete sound isolation is not necessary. Thanks! (:

Edit: Posting to bash brands and then not actually recommending anything does not help kthx.

Last edited by Amaryll : 02-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2011 at 04:38 PM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

From my knowledge (told by audiophiles) skullcandy quality is shit compared to the price you pay for it.
I wouldn't suggest that brand, it's mainly for hipsters, and kids trying to be cool.

If you're looking for "looks" and not quality, I'd go for the latter.

Afzal says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.
Old 02-05-2011 at 04:42 PM   #3
Stock

Liked: 56 Times

Please, for the love of god... don't get "beats" headphones.

major douche status

Cliu91 likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 04:45 PM   #4
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I'd go for this

Chad, Chevalier, comte like this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 04:53 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Skull candy actually isn't bad, but for sound quality you'll wanna go with one of the audiophile brands (Shure, AkG, Sennheiser, etc). I have a friend whose a huge audiophile and if you give me a price-range, where you plan to use it, and what music you plan to listen to he could probably give you a couple of solid reccommendations.

P.S.
Stay away from Bose and Monster (Beats), their sound quality is horrible for the price you pay.

Amaryll says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 04:57 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Skull candy actually isn't bad, but for sound quality you'll wanna go with one of the audiophile brands (Shure, AkG, Sennheiser, etc). I have a friend whose a huge audiophile and if you give me a price-range, where you plan to use it, and what music you plan to listen to he could probably give you a couple of solid reccommendations.

P.S.
Stay away from Bose and Monster (Beats), their sound quality is horrible for the price you pay.
50-100ish

at home/gym/bus rides/ etc.
classic rock, movie sound tracks, metallica, van halen, sum 41, rhcp, judas priest, bon jovi, blink 182, etc...

over the ear recommendations please, I HATE buds.

oh and must be able to plug into my iphone

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-05-2011 at 04:58 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Skullcandy works on the idea the louder=better. This is not true. I'd stay away from Skullcandy, it's just a loud crappy pair of headphones for twice the price of a comparable sony set.

If you have the money, go for Bose. They make the best audio equipment period. Sure it costs more, but there really is no comparison and its well enough made that they won't break easily, unlike cheaper headphones.

Amaryll says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:02 PM   #8
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Are you using these on the go or at home? Are you willing to spend more than the $40-50 for the ones you've linked to?

If its at home and have you have some budget then the Sennheiser 555's are a nice introductory headset for a wide range of listening options and can often be found on sale for around $130. You'll want either a headphone amp or a proper amplifier to get the best sound out of them. Their impedance is generally on the high side for driving directly from an ipod/computer output.

If they're for on the go, I'd actually recommend the in-ear style buds as good quality ones can sound quite good. My personal preference are the JBL reference series ($60-$150) and Shure is also another good bet.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:16 PM   #9
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

These. $50. Lifetime warranty. Light, comfortable, awesome sound.
* Koss PortaPro

Rubicon likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:27 PM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Depends on what you listen to, really. If you listen to rock, you can't go wrong with the Grado sr60is (or the Alessandro Music series ones, which are a better deal, really). They're pretty inexpensive for the quality.
If you want a cheaper set, try either the Koss Porta-Pros (the bass is really boomy, though) or the Sennheiser PX100s.

Also, if you're looking to spend more, then I'd definitely recommend a set of Beyerdynamic DT880s. I managed to find one for 1/4 the usual price on eBay, and they're brilliant - it's hard to come by a good set for classical and jazz, but this one does the trick. Beyerdynamic makes great rock and pop headsets too - you can't go wrong with higher-end Senns either.

As has been mentioned, if you're looking for a set for the GO, then you'd probably want to go with in-ear. There's nothing worse than seeing people wearing Grados on the bus - the person sitting next to them probably hears more of their music then they do themselves.
Also, don't bother with the 'well-known' (Bose, Beats, Skullcandy, etc.) brands. They're rubbish, generally speaking.

Last edited by Mahratta : 02-05-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Amaryll says thanks to Mahratta for this post.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:28 PM   #11
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Both are garbage.
For that kind of money, you're not getting your money's worth for quality.
And it also depends on what you want.
Headphones for gaming are completely than headphones for audio quality.
http://www.head-fi.org/
Personally, I'd go for some moderate quality Sennheiser. I have my Sennheiser HD280PRO and they're awesome.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Amaryll, Juicebox all say thanks to Rayine for this post.

changturkey, Rubicon like this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:28 PM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
50-100ish

classic rock, movie sound tracks, metallica, van halen, sum 41, rhcp, judas priest, bon jovi, blink 182, etc...

oh and must be able to plug into my iphone
Sennheiser HD280, Sennheiser HD438 (and Sennheiser HD555, which has better sound quality than the last 2 but lacks bass), Audio-Technica ATH-M40FS PRO, or Koss Pro DJ100

FYI
Those are all rather big headphones (i.e. not the greatest for moving around)

For something more portable, check out the Sennheiser PX200-II or the AKG K81DJ

Amaryll, lawleypop all say thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:33 PM   #13
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
50-100ish

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a set that works on the bus (rules out open headphones) and the gym (rules out big, heavy headphones)...earbuds would probably be your best choice by far

Old 02-05-2011 at 05:37 PM   #14
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post

P.S.

I'm willing to pay up to $80, but I'd really rather stay under $60. I plan to use it while at home, travelling be vehicle, and walking. Not while running or working out. I listen to mostly classical, swing/jazz, rock, folk metal, and country, but not much techno or rap. I want over-ear because I like the feel of it, and won't need something particularly light.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:39 PM   #15
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
I'm willing to pay up to $80, but I'd really rather stay under $60. I plan to use it while at home, travelling be vehicle, and walking. Not while running or working out. I listen to mostly classical, swing/jazz, rock, folk metal, and country, but not much techno or rap. I want over-ear because I like the feel of it, and won't need something particularly light.
For classical, jazz, and folk, Beyerdynamics are ideal. They're out of your price range, but check eBay and headfi...you may get lucky

Amaryll says thanks to Mahratta for this post.