MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Sci 2G03/Health Sci 3I03 deone Academics 5 06-30-2010 04:38 PM
Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health) PBurge Academics 6 06-16-2010 04:01 PM
Health Studies/Health Age Courses **jewel 03** Academics 0 06-05-2010 06:15 PM
Health and aging courses - 3E03 - ETHICAL ISSUES IN HEALTH AND AGING, iki_31 Academics 3 05-31-2010 05:32 PM

Health Card

Old 11-12-2009 at 01:44 PM   #16
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

[quote=Greco;107573]. Of course i'm still able to drive with my expired lisence BUT my problem is with me using it as my I.D.

if you get pulled over driving with an expired license, its an enormous fine, plus i guess whatever you got pulled over for. also i'm fairly certain that if your G2 expires before you get your G you have to do the whole process over again, starting from G1.
Old 11-12-2009 at 03:23 PM   #17
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

The LCBO has to take the Health Card. Every establishment licensed by the AGCO has to. However, as kathy said, they cannot ask you for the health card.
Old 11-12-2009 at 03:24 PM   #18
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
In my experience, banks, and the LCBO will not accept Health Cards as a form of ID.
As far as the LCBO is concerned, they should accept it.

http://www.agco.on.ca/pdf/Non-Forms/3056E.pdf

"Note: By law, no one can be required to produce the Ontario Health Card, nor can the health number be collected. Licensees should not ask for the Ontario Health Card as identification, but if offered voluntarily you may accept it at your discretion."
Old 11-12-2009 at 03:27 PM   #19
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
The LCBO has to take the Health Card. Every establishment licensed by the AGCO has to. However, as kathy said, they cannot ask you for the health card.
I think the problem is in the wording. The "at your discretion" gives every establishment an out.
Old 11-12-2009 at 03:46 PM   #20
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
As for renewing your health card after you get the new one: you have to renew it every 4 years and it doesn't cost anything.
I got a new health card on Oct 25, 2007 and it expired on Oct 26, 2009. I had to renew it after 2 years.....Maybe the rules changed?

I'm pretty sure I also paid when I first got my new card. However, since it was 2 years ago, I could be wrong about the payment.

Anyways, having to renew your health card (whether it is after 2 years or 4 years) is a pain.

EDIT: I just checked the Ontario Ministry of Health website and it isnt 4 years. If you renew your health card now, "the renewal date will always be five years in the future and linked to your date of birth."

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...hipfaq_dt.aspx

Last edited by rrtt : 11-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2009 at 05:10 PM   #21
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
In my experience, banks, and the LCBO will not accept Health Cards as a form of ID.
They have to accept your health card as ID, because for people without their licence (like me), they have no other ID.

If anyone denies letting you use your health card for ID, ask to speak to their manager and ask why they won't take it. Not everyone who is legal age will necessarily have a licene or a passport, and it's not fair to punish you for that. The new health cards are harder to duplicate; maybe they are weary of accepting the old ones.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 11-12-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2009 at 05:13 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I got a new health card on Oct 25, 2007 and it expired on Oct 26, 2009. I had to renew it after 2 years.....Maybe the rules changed?

I'm pretty sure I also paid when I first got my new card. However, since it was 2 years ago, I could be wrong about the payment.

Anyways, having to renew your health card (whether it is after 2 years or 4 years) is a pain.

EDIT: I just checked the Ontario Ministry of Health website and it isnt 4 years. If you renew your health card now, "the renewal date will always be five years in the future and linked to your date of birth."

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...hipfaq_dt.aspx
I renewed mine in March 2009, and I have to renew it on my birthday (Sept 2013). So I guess it would be 5 years; they are trying to match it up to my birthday.

When I got it renewed, I didn't pay anything. But it may have changed, I'm not sure.
Old 11-12-2009 at 05:18 PM   #23
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
Also keep your old health card. It is worth more then gold. You don't have to pay any fees with the old one (the old fashion red and white card). If you get the new one then your old one becomes invalid.
There's no fees with the new ones either. Also, they set it up so it expires with your driver's license. I believe over the summer they changed the rules so everywhere you can renew your license you can renew your health card (and if not, there's definitely Service Ontario places you can). I got both renewed in under an hour over the summer - not too big a hassle at all.
Old 11-12-2009 at 05:20 PM   #24
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
if you get pulled over driving with an expired license, its an enormous fine, plus i guess whatever you got pulled over for. also i'm fairly certain that if your G2 expires before you get your G you have to do the whole process over again, starting from G1.
The government has allowed this in light of the strike. There's an official letter you can carry with you if you're worried about any problems, but I'm pretty sure if you stay in Ontario the police are aware of it.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...tatement.shtml
Old 11-14-2009 at 01:58 AM   #25
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times

There are only maybe one or two places that would not accept my health card as a form of identification so I started carrying my birth certificate with me, (sounds stupid but it's easier to replace a birth certificate than you'd think, having worked for an MPP for quite a while). After I started carrying them both, I have never encountered a place that denies me entry.

As for how often you have to replace the new Health Cards, I just checked mine, and mine is valid from 2006 until my birthday in 2012, so 5 and half years.
Old 11-14-2009 at 02:31 AM   #26
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
They have to accept your health card as ID, because for people without their licence (like me), they have no other ID.

If anyone denies letting you use your health card for ID, ask to speak to their manager and ask why they won't take it. Not everyone who is legal age will necessarily have a licene or a passport, and it's not fair to punish you for that. The new health cards are harder to duplicate; maybe they are weary of accepting the old ones.

You're wrong.

In Ontario, Health Cards ARE NOT valid ID.

Drivers Licence, Passport, Military ID, or BYID card ( available from the LCBO)

http://www.agco.on.ca/en/t.tools/t3..... faqs.html#2

An establishment does not have to accept them. They can, but they don't have too. I've seen many places turn people away because that is all they have which is well within their prerogative.
Old 11-14-2009 at 04:20 AM   #27
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
You're wrong.

In Ontario, Health Cards ARE NOT valid ID.

Drivers Licence, Passport, Military ID, or BYID card ( available from the LCBO)

http://www.agco.on.ca/en/t.tools/t3..... faqs.html#2

An establishment does not have to accept them. They can, but they don't have too. I've seen many places turn people away because that is all they have which is well within their prerogative.
Again, bad wording on the governments part. "Acceptable forms of age identification include". Include doesnt mean those are the ONLY acceptable forms. What about valid foreign IDs for visitors and exchange students? Canadian Passports are accepted, but what about US, German, French, etc passports and licenses? Visitors cant drink because they're not citizens?
Old 11-14-2009 at 08:55 AM   #28
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

[quote=brendanp;107624 ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
. Of course i'm still able to drive with my expired lisence BUT my problem is with me using it as my I.D.

Clearly your not aware that the DriveTest employees are on strike, and have been for over 3 months now lol. If you lisence expired during the strike then your able to drive with an expired lisence until they decide to go back to work and you can book your road test. Right now there's thousands of people driving with an expired G2 lol.
Old 11-14-2009 at 08:59 AM   #29
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

[quote=Greco;107853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post

Clearly your not aware that the DriveTest employees are on strike, and have been for over 3 months now lol. If you lisence expired during the strike then your able to drive with an expired lisence until they decide to go back to work and you can book your road test. Right now there's thousands of people driving with an expired G2 lol.
Also, if your G2 expires before you get your G you don't have to start over. All you have to do is book a road test BEFORE the expiry date, or ON the expiry date and your lisence will automatically be extended until your road test date, even if it's 6 months from now. The MTO will give you an extension paper to carry with your lisence until your road test.

The only time you have to start over from your G2 is when you fail or miss two G road tests after your G2 expiry date with extension. Even then all you have to do is write the written test, then you can go for your G2 the next day, you don't have to wait the full year before being able to get your G2. You do have to wait the full year to get your G again though.
Old 11-14-2009 at 11:15 AM   #30
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

[quote=Greco;107854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post

Also, if your G2 expires before you get your G you don't have to start over. All you have to do is book a road test BEFORE the expiry date, or ON the expiry date and your lisence will automatically be extended until your road test date, even if it's 6 months from now. The MTO will give you an extension paper to carry with your lisence until your road test.

The only time you have to start over from your G2 is when you fail or miss two G road tests after your G2 expiry date with extension. Even then all you have to do is write the written test, then you can go for your G2 the next day, you don't have to wait the full year before being able to get your G2. You do have to wait the full year to get your G again though.

I don't plan on getting my G2 anytime soon but just in case what if your G1 expires and you've already taken driving school and passed an all that, do you have to wait another full year to go for your G2 after you write the G1 test again and/or take driving school again to get the insurance discount?