MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Sciences xXDeathXx Academics 13 06-19-2012 10:29 PM
Admission to McMaster (Life Sciences and Health Sciences) Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 03-20-2012 10:49 PM
Life Sciences vs. Health Sciences IqzFendi General Discussion 7 07-03-2011 10:55 PM
Health Sciences vs. Arts and Sciences - advice anyone? ktc11 Academics 3 05-19-2010 08:47 PM

Health Sciences Specializations?

Old 06-02-2013 at 02:37 PM   #1
LifeSciences

Liked: 1 Time

Health Sciences Specializations?
Hi
I will be going into second year health sci in sept (transfer hth sci), but I a unsure of whether I should go into the regular program, or to specialize in biomedical sciences. I have looked up the courses that I would be taking if I go into each program. I am interested in biomed, but I am just worried that the workload would be much heavier if I specialize, and I will not have much time to get involved, etc. Also, I am worried that I have a premature idea of how the biomed program is, and end up getting stuck with biomed courses...

Pretty much any help, or advice is very much appreciated!!
Old 06-02-2013 at 03:07 PM   #2
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

If you are currently taking organic chem, or do not plan on taking anatomy (i.e. already took KIN 1Y03/1YY3) then the workload probably won't be a major issue, but generally 2nd year of many programs is considered the 'toughest' year. Anatomy+orgo+biomed probably cant even happen anyways as a transfer student since you'd exceed 30 units so you'll have to make some decision as to what you'd rather take in 2nd year. I think most people in biomed do better in the 2nd year biochem courses than some of the health sci courses. If you suddenly decided you hate biochemistry you can switch out as well, you're not forced into a 3 year commitment. Many biomed students are still involved in many many activities, I don't know what else to say about that but you can PM me further questions if you'd like. I think there are course reviews for the 2nd year courses on macinsiders so you should have some idea if you'd be interested in those courses (2B03, 2BB3, 2L06). I personally enjoyed my experiences with biochemistry a lot, and felt I learned about topics that interested me. I could have easily filled my timetable with other interesting courses if I didn't specialize, but having a strong biochemistry background will certainly not hurt me in the future.

LifeSciences says thanks to yoni for this post.

Jaz1616 likes this.
Old 06-02-2013 at 03:33 PM   #3
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Hi!
Welcome to Health Sci!
Do you have a LL account as yet? There's oodles of info there.
I know a Health Sci who was exactly in your position last year...a biomed transfer...he loves the biomed specialty, and he's happy (I think...?) he made the choice.
Also have a friend who absolutely hates the biomed specialty, and is switching out, I believe...
D'you have an email or something? I could see if the biomed transfer could give you some advice...

LifeSciences says thanks to Zebedee for this post.

Jaz1616 likes this.
Old 06-02-2013 at 08:26 PM   #4
LifeSciences

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
If you are currently taking organic chem, or do not plan on taking anatomy (i.e. already took KIN 1Y03/1YY3) then the workload probably won't be a major issue, but generally 2nd year of many programs is considered the 'toughest' year. Anatomy+orgo+biomed probably cant even happen anyways as a transfer student since you'd exceed 30 units so you'll have to make some decision as to what you'd rather take in 2nd year. I think most people in biomed do better in the 2nd year biochem courses than some of the health sci courses. If you suddenly decided you hate biochemistry you can switch out as well, you're not forced into a 3 year commitment. Many biomed students are still involved in many many activities, I don't know what else to say about that but you can PM me further questions if you'd like. I think there are course reviews for the 2nd year courses on macinsiders so you should have some idea if you'd be interested in those courses (2B03, 2BB3, 2L06). I personally enjoyed my experiences with biochemistry a lot, and felt I learned about topics that interested me. I could have easily filled my timetable with other interesting courses if I didn't specialize, but having a strong biochemistry background will certainly not hurt me in the future.
Thanks for the quick, and very helpful response!
I am not taking orgo because I found a summer job that I thought I would benefit more from than taking orgo.

I read the reviews about biomed courses, and although I like the contents, the course structures seem to be difficult to handle (specially 2bb3).

If I end up going to the normal program, do you think it would be such a terrible idea to take the first orgo first term? I heard anatomy is quite challenging, but I think I can put more effort into studying to do well in both courses...?
Old 06-02-2013 at 08:30 PM   #5
LifeSciences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Hi!
Welcome to Health Sci!
Do you have a LL account as yet? There's oodles of info there.
I know a Health Sci who was exactly in your position last year...a biomed transfer...he loves the biomed specialty, and he's happy (I think...?) he made the choice.
Also have a friend who absolutely hates the biomed specialty, and is switching out, I believe...
D'you have an email or something? I could see if the biomed transfer could give you some advice...
Thanks!!
I don't have a LL account yet. Apparently it takes till July or sth for it to be activated (or so I heard from last year transfers).
If you can arrange that with your biomed friends, that would be great!! I'll inbox you my email address. Thank you so much!