MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ball Hockey Scuderia Athletics & Recreation 5 09-08-2010 03:46 PM
Hockey Gold! britb Athletics & Recreation 13 03-02-2010 09:31 PM
Not that I follow hockey, lawleypop Athletics & Recreation 21 02-22-2010 10:50 PM
Hockey at Mac reeves General Discussion 23 09-10-2009 09:54 PM

I heard that hockey fans like hockey...confirm?

Old 06-16-2011 at 11:00 AM   #16
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Hockey generates a lot of revenue so I don't support banning it. Just like cigarettes and alcohol. I don't personally indulge in them but at least there's lots of money
Old 06-16-2011 at 11:27 AM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
But you don't want MMA to be banned?...
The athletes know what they're getting into, it's not the organizations job to protect them.
MMA fighters get injuries in other ways, lots of facial lacerations, but I haven't heard of many getting concussions. They get punched in the chin because it's easiest to knock someone out there, they don't often get punched in the side of the head or in any place to rattle their brain.
Old 06-16-2011 at 11:32 AM   #18
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

agree with Krusenik, theres veryyy little chance of such activities ever being banned- especially since it is not just a national thing, theres also the olympics and whatnot
...and lets be honest if we cant even have world peace i doubt the world could come together to officially ban violent sports
Old 06-16-2011 at 11:32 AM   #19
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
MMA fighters get injuries in other ways, lots of facial lacerations, but I haven't heard of many getting concussions. They get punched in the chin because it's easiest to knock someone out there, they don't often get punched in the side of the head or in any place to rattle their brain.
Yeah I get that, but you even said yourself that they get a lot of other injuries. These can add up over time and be just as dangerous as a concussion. I'm not for the banning of any sport, just for the record, it's just hard to say "oh boxing is terrible, but a sport where they use more tactical fighting rather than just their fists is safer".
Old 06-16-2011 at 12:26 PM   #20
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Yeah I get that, but you even said yourself that they get a lot of other injuries. These can add up over time and be just as dangerous as a concussion. I'm not for the banning of any sport, just for the record, it's just hard to say "oh boxing is terrible, but a sport where they use more tactical fighting rather than just their fists is safer".
thats not what he's saying at all, he saying they take less brain rattling headshots, big difference.
Old 06-16-2011 at 12:29 PM   #21
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
thats not what he's saying at all, he saying they take less brain rattling headshots, big difference.
I know that's not what he said, but that's what another post stated. Injuries are injuries, they're a part of any sport.
Old 06-16-2011 at 01:37 PM   #22
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
I know that's not what he said, but that's what another post stated. Injuries are injuries, they're a part of any sport.
Well exactly - they're a part of ANY sport. In fact they're a part of video games - repetitive strain injury. Soccer - foot injuries, basketball - knee, arm, elbow, etc. Unavoidable.

Football players and boxers are notorious for receiving brain damage, though, unlike MMA fighters. MMA fighters receive other types of damage to their legs, elbows, hands, etc, making MMA more like other sports in that aspect.
Old 06-16-2011 at 01:40 PM   #23
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Well exactly - they're a part of ANY sport. In fact they're a part of video games - repetitive strain injury. Soccer - foot injuries, basketball - knee, arm, elbow, etc. Unavoidable.

Football players and boxers are notorious for receiving brain damage, though, unlike MMA fighters. MMA fighters receive other types of damage to their legs, elbows, hands, etc, making MMA more like other sports in that aspect.
Yes, exactly. All I was saying is that if you're going to rule out certain sports because of injuries, you're going to have to get rid of all of them because everything has the possibility of injuring yourself or others.
Old 06-16-2011 at 02:50 PM   #24
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

i think the main issue over these sports is not necessarily and extent of injury one experiences from playing them but there ability to condone certain amounts of violence. if you look at sports like basketball or soccer they dont really condone the use of force. its about playing the game and having skill enough to play it without useing violence. sure people get hurt in them, some times the injuries are minor and sometimes they are critical, but none the less they still get hurt, its part of the game. even hockey doesnt "fully" condone violence. sure a lot of people get excited and look forwards to the fights , and they add an interesting aspect to the game, but these fights arent what result in the serious injures. most serious injuries in hockey result from checks and such, which one can argue were intentional, but at the same time the player did not wish for the other to become so critically injured it was just a result of bad timeing and bad luck. these sports, even with the amount of violence and injuries which are in them, have the potential to be played non aggressively ( and by that i mean with no violent actions and no severe injuries , like in little leagues ur not allowed to chekc and start firghts and stuff).

now if you look at sports like boxing or the mma's. well the whole reason for these sports is to promote violence, even if its in an arena with controlled setting, the main reason the players are there is to beat the **** out of their opponents. if anything , these are the kinds of sports that will ever be banned because someday some wiseguy will link them to children becoming violent (and trust me i work at a summer camp and a volunteer at an elementary school, at recess and in free time ull see these kids who are into boxing and mma and they'll be talking about the diff moves, how to do them, and some of them even have the gall to actually do these on each other and these moves can be highly dangerous..... heck when i see those bullies on the playground the way the intimidate others is by mimicking some of those moves seriously retarded -_-)

... so yea i doubt sports like hockey or basketball or foot ball or soccer, or w.e else would ever get banned especially before things like boxing and mma's would
Old 06-16-2011 at 03:41 PM   #25
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Is it just me, or do we protest exceptionally violently based on matters that are so irrelevant in the grand scheme of things? Vancouver gets obliterated at a GAME, and Canadians riot in the street, damn near kill people and turn it into a warzone. On the contrary, in Greece, the entire COUNTRY is bankrupt... Like, they have a credit level so bad, Panama and Jamaica will have an easier time getting a loan. That's reason to be pissed there and I would be protesting right there with them.

The G20 protests irked me because I was totally unclear as to what they were protesting? There was no huge issues we had to protest. We have one of the stronger economies in the world, and I think we live pretty darn well overall here.

It was just a bunch of shit-disturbers and people who want the entire world to change on a dime. For example, while watching the protests, I saw a university student-aged girl holding a sign that said ALTERNATIVE ENERGY NOW. Is that really an issue to begin with? Unreliable, inefficient and extremely expensive technology to replace a far more plentiful, cheap-ish and proven (albeit harmful) resource? I got in an argument in a class last year when a girl suggested that we drop our support for the middle eastern oil nations in favour of solar power... *facepalm

REALLY?

I just think that we seem to have either a very high proportion of douches, or a very high proportion of idiots... or both... They go hand in hand, right?

Also, I saw England lose in the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup in London to Brazil. No riot. Just drunken Brits bathing in Trafalgar Square in the fountain...

Old 06-16-2011 at 03:51 PM   #26
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Men, when you're out there in the battlefield, and you're looking into the beady eyes of a Canadian as he charges you with his hockey stick or whatever he has, and people are dying all around you, just remember what the MPAA says: "Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words." That is what this war is all about!

chappy89, Chevalier like this.
Old 06-16-2011 at 04:16 PM   #27
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

hahaha they f*****d vancouver up
Old 06-16-2011 at 09:44 PM   #28
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Check this out :
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm... 1kdo1_500.jpg
Old 06-16-2011 at 09:46 PM   #29
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Do you watch MMA?... lol
Old 06-16-2011 at 10:01 PM   #30
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by albalks View Post
Actually kinda funny, if I was American I'd be rofling.

But the rioters were not more hockey fans than the people at the G20 were protesters.