MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girls Field Hockey kuruczpa Athletics & Recreation 0 09-08-2010 07:44 PM
Ball Hockey Scuderia Athletics & Recreation 5 09-08-2010 03:46 PM
Hockey Gold! britb Athletics & Recreation 13 03-02-2010 09:31 PM
Hockey for Heart Tournament temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-24-2010 02:07 PM
Not that I follow hockey, lawleypop Athletics & Recreation 21 02-22-2010 10:50 PM

Hockey at Mac

Old 08-07-2009 at 07:03 PM   #1
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Hockey at Mac
Is there any kind of recreational hockey at Mac? I'm getting my stuff together, and am wondering if i should be packing my gear.
Old 08-07-2009 at 07:21 PM   #2
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

mac eng does.
Old 08-07-2009 at 08:50 PM   #3
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

There's intramural hockey. Check it out here:

http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/intramurals/sports/hockey.htm

Joseph, reeves all say thanks to KRan for this post.
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:10 PM   #4
Gibson

Liked: 3 Times

Will they ever build a rink on campus?
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:32 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson1528 View Post
Probably not... the last chance was when they built the athletic centre. I think it costs too much to build/maintain.
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:48 PM   #6
pocalyuko

Liked: 9 Times

is there any kind of league outside of mac that some of the students organize that you actually play in a rink?
Old 08-07-2009 at 10:59 PM   #7
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Probably not... the last chance was when they built the athletic centre. I think it costs too much to build/maintain.
Awww, that sucks...

Intramural ice hockey sounds fun though, I’ll definitely sign up. Thanks for the link Karen!

Old 08-08-2009 at 01:01 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
There was a vote about an outdoor rink on campus two years ago, but I'm not entirely sure what happened after the votes were cast. Students weren't updated about anything.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-08-2009 at 01:57 PM   #9
Gibson

Liked: 3 Times

You could build a good sized outdoor rink so easily, that would be sweet for some pickup shinny during the winter season, nice way to de-stress during exam studying

daisy likes this.
Old 08-08-2009 at 02:11 PM   #10
Paul91

Liked: 4 Times

how is the quality of play in the intramural ice hockey?

o and ya, an outdoor rink on campus would be awesome, I'd even be willing to put in some work to make it happen

daisy likes this.
Old 08-08-2009 at 03:28 PM   #11
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
You could build a good sized outdoor rink so easily, that would be sweet for some pickup shinny during the winter season, nice way to de-stress during exam studying

If you like playing on outdoor rinks there are actually some really close to campus. Last year I went to the one at the end of Haddon and it was pretty good. Can't remember the name of it but they put it on the lawn bowling fields, and a zamboni floods every night. There's benches and nets...

Edit: I looked it up, and the park name is Oak Knoll Park. I think the post below me is talking about the same one.

Last edited by Maitland : 08-08-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-08-2009 at 03:32 PM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
I don't know... with the quality of winters Hamilton has had since I've been here, an outdoor rink might not be as feasable as it sounds. Hamilton has quite mild winters, and it often rains during the winter here.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a park near Mac (5 minutes walking) where they build a couple of rinks. It's the park with the lawn bowling pitch, playground, ball diamonds and soccer pitches.
Old 08-08-2009 at 11:27 PM   #13
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

There are some beer leagues at the Wentworth Triple Rinks which is like a 5min drive from mac. The intramurals are supposed to be good. There is also an annual Alumni Hockey tournament run in PG's name. I played in one of the games last year. You are supposed to be an alumni, but I wanna see if I can get enough guys together to enter a team this year. I don't want to start any speculations or anything but there is not much more room for anything on campus, but PG doesn't have a building with his name on it yet, and he loves hockey, so I think a good idea is for a PG Twin Pad! Hopefully he reads this thread!
Old 08-12-2009 at 10:30 PM   #14
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times

If any of you are interested in playing ice hockey this fall/winter my men's league is looking for players. Games are played in the evening and its at the Quad Pad.
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:20 AM   #15
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

the shitty thing about intramurals last year was that they were at 7am monday-wednesday, which is a pretty shitty time.