MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ball Hockey Scuderia Athletics & Recreation 5 09-08-2010 03:46 PM
Hockey Gold! britb Athletics & Recreation 13 03-02-2010 09:31 PM
Not that I follow hockey, lawleypop Athletics & Recreation 21 02-22-2010 10:50 PM
Hockey at Mac reeves General Discussion 23 09-10-2009 09:54 PM

I heard that hockey fans like hockey...confirm?

Old 06-16-2011 at 10:09 PM   #31
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post

The G20 protests irked me because I was totally unclear as to what they were protesting? There was no huge issues we had to protest. We have one of the stronger economies in the world, and I think we live pretty darn well overall here.

It was just a bunch of shit-disturbers and people who want the entire world to change on a dime. For example, while watching the protests, I saw a university student-aged girl holding a sign that said ALTERNATIVE ENERGY NOW. Is that really an issue to begin with? Unreliable, inefficient and extremely expensive technology to replace a far more plentiful, cheap-ish and proven (albeit harmful) resource? I got in an argument in a class last year when a girl suggested that we drop our support for the middle eastern oil nations in favour of solar power... *facepalm
Not everything is about the economy.

There were problems with the G8 Maternal health initiative that was proposed wherein agencies that provided abortions (but did not use G8 funding for abortions) but assisted with maternal health initiatives (pap smears, screening for polyps, cysts, STI/AIDS/pregnancy prevention) got funding cuts.

The lavish spending of tax dollars on the G8/G20 summit, while many First Nations communities are living in absolutely terrible conditions and there are continuing cuts to ODSP/OW payments (including decreases in special diet provisions)

Many of the protests after were due to the abuse of power by the police (e.g. arresting peaceful protestors while letting people who were smashing windows continue with their damaging actions and that ridiculous 10 m rule).

Old 06-16-2011 at 10:15 PM   #32
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
Also, I saw England lose in the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup in London to Brazil. No riot. Just drunken Brits bathing in Trafalgar Square in the fountain...
lol, yeah the brits are GREAT when it comes to football. look up heysel/hillsborough, a friend went to the north London derby (Tottenham v Arsenal), and fans were throwing real metal darts at each other, those that gouge your eyes and make you blind.

it's an unfair comparison, the truth is idiotic people (regardless of nationality) who are drunk and depressed do stupid things. ffs, vancouver was outscored 23-8 over the 7 games, i don't watch hockey, but shit, boston is clearly so much better. i would think that vancouver fans would feel lucky to have even been in the final...
Old 06-16-2011 at 10:22 PM   #33
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Actually kinda funny, if I was American I'd be rofling.

But the rioters were not more hockey fans than the people at the G20 were protesters.
I just posted it for some comedic relief
Old 07-08-2011
usaminhockey
This message has been removed by a moderator. .