MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science 3B03 Question lisar Academics 0 01-11-2013 08:33 PM
Life Science Schedule Question jon.yoon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2011 05:10 PM
Question about health science program admission valtorec Academics 22 05-08-2011 06:21 PM
McMaster Life Science Question JonZ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 51 02-04-2011 12:04 PM
honours life science level II program... sparks- First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-08-2010 09:28 AM

Hello! Life Science Program question?

Old 05-12-2013 at 11:13 PM   #1
etehranz

Liked: 0 Times

Hello! Life Science Program question?
Hi,
I am really looking into the life science program at mac! Problem is that I have a choice between Mac and University of Ottawa, for two completely different programs. Ottawa is a health science degree and Mac is a life science degree. (I applied to Mac health sci but didn't get it) I am leaning towards Mac because it is local and I will have more benefits if I do stay local. As well, Mac is a great school and is very reputable for its undergrad compared to Ottawa. This being said, I am very intimidated by the "life science" idea, because you take a variety of courses from all the sciences. I am afraid I wont do well just because its such a large variety. I found grade 12 chem to be challenging and I am scared I wont do well in this program and it will be a huge waste of time and money. Career wise, I always wanted to do something in the medical field such as a physiotheripost, but I am not sure yet!
I know people say you don't know until you try, but I don't want to make the wrong decision

I am just looking for any type of guidance and advice anyone can offer me
Thanks in advance

Last edited by etehranz : 05-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2013 at 12:54 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Welcome to MacInsiders!! Thanks for joining the community and congrats on choosing Mac Life Sci!!
Old 05-13-2013 at 08:12 AM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Hi,

I am not in any natural sciences program (obviously) but from what I understand is that you can specialize in something starting in second year, so you're not always taking a variety of courses from all the sciences. That perhaps may be true for first year though.
Old 05-13-2013 at 02:37 PM   #4
etehranz

Ok, Is a life science degree better than a health science one?
Old 05-16-2013 at 09:51 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etehranz View Post
Ok, Is a life science degree better than a health science one?
Better in what sense? That question is rather ambiguous.
Old 05-17-2013 at 04:04 PM   #6
etehranz

Sorry, a better way to reword that question is: I ultimately have a goal to get into medical school (yes one of those students) but I want to have a back up plan in case that one would not work out. I was thinking physiotherapy(somethi ng that would require me to pursue further education) I want to know which degree would better prepare me. I know course wise, it would be easier to do health science at Ottawa U, but the easiest way is not always the best way and I want to come out of the 4 years having it well spent and being prepared for any type of future career along the science- related lines. I do not know what I would specialize in life sci though, and I heard general degrees are normally not the best?

Thanks in advance