MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first year course selection, I AM LOST:( lifesciman1 Academics 18 03-14-2011 10:07 AM
Need help with course selection 1st year lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 03-07-2011 01:05 PM
Article Rewind: First Year Course Selection lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-26-2010 01:32 PM
2nd Year Eng. Course Selection PhilM Academics 4 06-15-2010 11:13 AM
Second Year Program Admission and Course Selection mgallant Academics 7 06-24-2008 05:40 PM

Help With 2nd Year Course Selection?

Old 05-12-2011 at 01:11 PM   #1
MeganB214

Liked: 1 Time

Help With 2nd Year Course Selection?
I’m going into second year come September, and majoring in Communications studies. I’ve been going over the available courses and the selection of courses from which we have the required courses to choose from. My question is whether or not it matters if we take second year courses in third year, and third year courses in fourth year.
I’m asking because if I was to take all of my required second year courses next year, I would be left with so many electives for the next couple years after (which doesn’t seem to make sense to me). So it would seem to make more sense to use up some electives second year, and then just take some of the required second year courses in third year. Hopefully it’s understandable what I mean, am I right or does someone else have a better solution to the problem?
Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2011 at 01:36 PM   #2
Katie:)

Liked: 0 Times

i just finished my second year of communication studies
you can take second year courses in third year but taking all of your required courses in second year really isn't bad. I have one more required course from second year to take in my third year, and I wish I would have just gotten it over with in second year. In my opinion its best to stay on top of your required courses...but i'm sure some people disagree.
Old 05-12-2011 at 01:47 PM   #3
MeganB214

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie:) View Post
i just finished my second year of communication studies
you can take second year courses in third year but taking all of your required courses in second year really isn't bad. I have one more required course from second year to take in my third year, and I wish I would have just gotten it over with in second year. In my opinion its best to stay on top of your required courses...but i'm sure some people disagree.
Thanks! So will you just be taking the majority of your 39 elective units in 3rd and 4th year now? I just thought it would be weird because with my picks from the possible required courses, I only have 3 required third year courses to take, so I didn't know if I should try to spread my electives out more
Old 05-12-2011 at 02:04 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey random related side question... you know the undergrad calender... the big book we got in first year with all the courses in it and stuff... do we get another one this year? like a physical copy? or is it only the first years that get them...
reason i ask is cus theyre on sale at titles and i wasnt sure if were going to get on in the mail anyways?
Old 05-12-2011 at 02:09 PM   #5
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Why pay when you can get it free?

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...11-2012web.pdf
Old 05-12-2011 at 02:16 PM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

yea i knwo u can get it online i was just wondering if we got a hard copy one like we did in first year for free
Old 05-12-2011 at 02:29 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
yea i knwo u can get it online i was just wondering if we got a hard copy one like we did in first year for free
You won't get another one in the mail once you're out of first year. You might be able to request a free copy from the Registrar, I'm not sure.