MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Waiting List Position - what's yours? sanketdas_ Residence & Housing 24 09-07-2013 12:51 AM
Residence Waiting List gallywag Residence & Housing 2 06-13-2013 06:27 PM
Residence Waiting List Positions Released admin MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-13-2013 11:47 AM
Waiting List ? Demonoid12 General Discussion 0 05-11-2009 05:05 PM
Mcmaster Residence Waiting List dobbz123 General Discussion 10 08-08-2008 03:36 PM

Help! Residence Waiting List

Old 06-20-2013 at 10:26 PM   #1
moosecm

Liked: 1 Time

Help! Residence Waiting List
Hey!! I'm very nervous about being on the waiting list for residence and I was wondering if I should be looking for off-campus housing considering I'm number 205 on the list... I keep hearing from others that its usually only the first 100 people get in, is that true?

Also, should I inform the school that I'm willing to take triple and loft rooms even though neither of those options were listed in my residence application?
Old 06-21-2013 at 12:05 AM   #2
redstarr37

Liked: 9 Times

Since you're on the wait list, you'll automatically be put in whatever space is available regardless of your requests. I'm not sure about that first 100 people thing, but I know a lot of people applied for residence this year so I wouldn't hold my breath. It all depends how many people decide to accept which will vary every year.

Best to at least start looking into off-campus housing just to be safe. Everyone should be getting their residence assignments soon so hopefully you'll be getting some good news as well.

Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2013 at 01:30 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Being #205 is about middle of the list, I've seen students as low as 380-400ish. There is no guarantee about the first 100 people getting in... there is no way of knowing how many students will change their mind to open up more spots, etc.

Keep checking the number on the Res portal site to see if it goes up, if it's moving really slow and not a lot of ppl are getting in quick then I suggest searching for off-campus housing now rather than later.. you'll want to get house hunting and find friends if possible to have as housemates. The best selection of houses will get scooped up quick. You can start your search in the macinsiders marketplace, there is an off-campus housing section. All the best!
Old 06-23-2013 at 08:30 AM   #4
SofiaLisboa

Liked: 0 Times

I'm number 129, does anyone know what my chances are?
Old 06-25-2013 at 09:51 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaLisboa View Post
I'm number 129, does anyone know what my chances are?
Read the post right before yours.
Old 07-30-2013 at 07:14 PM   #6
moosecm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Being #205 is about middle of the list, I've seen students as low as 380-400ish. There is no guarantee about the first 100 people getting in... there is no way of knowing how many students will change their mind to open up more spots, etc.

Keep checking the number on the Res portal site to see if it goes up, if it's moving really slow and not a lot of ppl are getting in quick then I suggest searching for off-campus housing now rather than later.. you'll want to get house hunting and find friends if possible to have as housemates. The best selection of houses will get scooped up quick. You can start your search in the macinsiders marketplace, there is an off-campus housing section. All the best!
Sorry for not thanking you earlier on the advice you gave me!

I'm currently number 116 (and have been for a while) on the waiting list, I'm curious about whether or not you could consider that slow?
Old 07-30-2013 at 08:24 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecm View Post
Sorry for not thanking you earlier on the advice you gave me!

I'm currently number 116 (and have been for a while) on the waiting list, I'm curious about whether or not you could consider that slow?
You should've started looking for alternative housing options by now.
Old 07-30-2013 at 10:50 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I definitely wouldn't count on it. It's highly unlikely, even impossible that the waitlist would move 116 spots in the next month :(. Start looking into off-campus housing asap! Use the MacInsiders marketplace as well as the McMaster Offcampus housing site. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2013 at 02:19 PM   #9
moosecm

I've been looking at alternative housing options but I haven't found any that I like.. Would it be a good idea to commute for a couple weeks until a spot in residence opens up?
Old 08-09-2013 at 03:05 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I've been looking at alternative housing options but I haven't found any that I like.. Would it be a good idea to commute for a couple weeks until a spot in residence opens up?
Depends on your class schedule and how bad the commute is! Lots of people commute though, so it's certainly doable.

moosecm says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-09-2013 at 04:56 PM   #11
moosecm

i think it could work.. plus im number 66 on the waiting list so i dont think it would be too long before i got a room on rez

thank you!
Old 08-09-2013 at 06:06 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

https://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/

I've found all of my student houses through that site; make sure you're happy with the landlord, not just the house. Both are equally important for a smooth off campus experience.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

moosecm says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-09-2013 at 06:48 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
i think it could work.. plus im number 66 on the waiting list so i dont think it would be too long before i got a room on rez

thank you!
There's no way of knowing really, as it changes every year. It all depends on how many people get off the waiting list and how many spots free up. Keep in mind the possibility that a spot may not open up though, because that is certainly a possibility.
Old 08-15-2013 at 06:49 AM   #14
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:

thank you!
You will really need to consider living off-campus if you don't want to commute. It's highly likely that a spot will ever open up for you simply because move-in is so soon and students will have made up their minds by now. Also, not many drop residence in the first few weeks of school. I don't think I've heard of it happening over the years I've been at Mac :(
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 08-15-2013 at 11:35 AM   #15
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Go to Hamilton. Get a room.

Sorry for the six word short, but seriously time is running out. I was 545 on the waiting list and I dropped down to 490ish last I checked. If you want to live by your self you will have trouble finding a place that is both afordable and close to McMaster. It took me two weeks of searching on Internet, calling people and booking appointments to get a room.

Anyway, I'd whole heartedly recommend that you start looking for off-campus housing. And soon.

Afsha-noon likes this.