MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
"Shadowing" a program question Rakim Academics 7 06-04-2010 07:47 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Help with "shadowing" into a program??

Old 06-19-2014 at 06:39 PM   #1
sabonator
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Help with "shadowing" into a program??
I just finished first year social sciences and I did.. not the best. My gpa is a 5... and Because of this I only got accepted to the B.A. Health and Aging program... Although I did pretty well in health and aging, I do not want to major in it at all. I just disliked it. I applied to social psychology but didn't get in because you need at least a 6 gpa. I also wanted to initially root for PNB, but, being that it is a highly competitive program, and looking at my grades... I decided not to apply.

With that being said, I should also mention that my ultimate goal is to apply to med school. I want a profession in medicine. I only want to get into social psych or PNB because I want to use one of the two programs as a plan B if med school becomes out of the question for me, as it is an extremely competitive field.

I have been told that you can take certain courses that can make you eligible to get into the program of your choice (with good marks, of course). If possible, what courses do you guys suggest I take to help me get into soc psy or PNB?

I've talked to numerous guidance counselors and academic advisors, and honestly, they all have said the exact same things to me. I'm going nowhere with them!!

I need to hear from an experienced 3rd, or 4th year student about what I can do... Because I'm TOTALLY lost. I should be selecting my courses for September 2014, but I haven't decided which ones, nor do I even know which ones to take!

In summary:

To apply to med school is my ultimate goal (#1)
If not medicine, then I will go with my plan B (soc psy, or PNB)

How do I get here guys?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated
Old 06-19-2014 at 08:22 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

What is it that all of the academic advisors have told you that you aren't finding helpful?

There aren't "specific" courses you can take that "make you eligible" for a program. First and foremost, you need to meet the academic requirements for entry. If you choose to shadow a program, you take the same courses that you would if you were actually enrolled in the program (though you might not be able to take all of the courses, if some are restricted to certain programs). Doing this enables you to complete your degree in four years, rather than doing second year twice. It isn't necessary to make you eligible for the program, but it can help if you show that you can do well in the required courses.

You said you want one of the psych fields as a back-up for med school, but what exactly would you do with those degrees? Where would they get you? If you only have a BA or BSc in psych, you're going to have a tough time finding a job. So, what is your full "plan B"? There might be more than one way to get there.
Old 06-19-2014 at 09:03 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

You know you can get into med school with any degree. Just high marks, nice mcat and pass interview