MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drop course ishg Academics 0 03-27-2011 09:48 PM
How to drop a course... dgibson123 Academics 0 03-10-2011 01:21 PM
Can I drop it like it's hot? Jayson193 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 03-08-2011 09:57 PM
If I drop out right now... Comrade B Academics 19 01-05-2011 06:53 PM
can I still drop a course right now? incarnation Academics 1 11-18-2010 03:17 PM

Help! Should I drop this course?

Old 02-22-2012 at 10:21 PM   #1
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Help! Should I drop this course?
So just found out mark for first microecon test-60. Ive been getting all A's in my other courses. I want to go to law school and want to know how bad a 60 in one course would look compared to 4 courses a term, 1 dropped. The test was all applied and i heard it just gets harder.Im terrible with calculations. Any advice appreciated.
Old 02-22-2012
SydVicious
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-22-2012 at 11:43 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

test wasnt really applied.....class average was 82.5. you can easily bring that mark up to a 7. it probably does get harder but all you need to do is read the slides a few days in advance. 1 day was even enough for the first midterm. just study ahead for the 2nd midterm and trust me your mark will go up. but from what i hear, a few dropped courses doesnt look bad. if youre gonna fail a course you should drop it, but with a 60 on the first midterm i think you could easily bring your mark up still.
Old 02-22-2012 at 11:58 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

econ is really easy to deal with. just spend more time reading slides+practice problems u can def bring it up
Old 02-23-2012 at 07:54 AM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I agree; just keep doing practice problems and going to get extra help. You'd have to contact each law school specifically to find out their policies on dropped courses. Some may have weighting formulae that only apply if you have a full course load each year.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-23-2012 at 11:15 AM   #5
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

law school with a 60 in econ?

Commie8507 says thanks to 3am Coffee for this post.

Old 02-23-2012 at 11:32 AM   #6
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

I got a 60 on my first microecon test and finished with a 12. Just take this as a learning experience, and seek help early.

It's not 'embarrassing' or a sign of weakness to seek paid help as well. Tutors can make a huge difference.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 02-23-2012 at 11:53 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Definitely not, especially if you're only in first year. Some law schools (and most other graduate schools other than Medical) will only look at your final 2 years of school.
Old 02-23-2012 at 11:58 AM   #8
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitus View Post
I got a 60 on my first microecon test and finished with a 12. Just take this as a learning experience, and seek help early.

It's not 'embarrassing' or a sign of weakness to seek paid help as well. Tutors can make a huge difference.
the econ midterms are 30% with holmes. a 60 means u acquired 18/30 percent....the highest mark u could get with that is 88 so he wont get 12 nnow.
Old 02-23-2012 at 06:36 PM   #9
Lawstudent

I'm going to early write the second econ test. If I think I did poorly, I will definitely drop the course before drop deadline. That way it won't show up on my transcript and having all A's with a few B's always looks better than having a C or D to bring down my gpa.

RyanC likes this.
Old 02-23-2012 at 06:42 PM   #10
hatorade

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post
law school with a 60 in econ?
Way to kick someone while they're down. BTW: good luck getting into med school with that attitude
Old 02-23-2012 at 07:08 PM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Oh first years, making generalizations about how Grad school's evaluate your University marks.
Or even better:
Oh first years, thinking that Grad schools will care about your first year marks. Or thinking that a single bad mark will kill your entire GPA over 4 years.

News flash: You've got 4 years, 5 courses*2semesters*4 years=40. you really think 1 course out of 40 is going to mess up your chances of getting into law school?

Not that chemistry is essential for lawyers (I'm referring to the fact that a single mark will get diluted, like a teaspoon of salt in the ocean), but this sort of "stepping back and looking at the big picture" is essential for any professional career... Take a few deep breaths, step back, and re-examine all of this again.

BlueWave, Maudjee22 like this.
Old 02-23-2012 at 10:13 PM   #12
Lawstudent

Law school is primarily a numbers game.

Last edited by Lawstudent : 02-24-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2012 at 10:42 PM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

It just sounds like the new-age of high school students that was in its infancy when I finished high school, and went full force in the following years: That is, Ontario made it policy not to fail students, so more students could ask for marks and EXPECT solid marks in everything because standards went down. Then students had this sense of entitlement to good grades... IF they weren't getting them, then they could hide behind something. In high school, it was hiding behind your parents as they shouted at the teacher to get you a better grade. Then in University, the common thing I'm hearing from a lot of first year students is to either find a way out of doing the test (MSAF) if you are going to get an unpleasant mark, or finding every trick in the book to drop the course in the most dire case.

Should you drop the course? No. Learn to accept it. Failure (not saying you're going to fail this course either.... You could still get an 11!!!) is where you learn the most in life. Take that 60%, suck it up, study REALLY hard on the second midterm, then re-evaluate. If you did "poorly" again, then look at what you did wrong, learn from those mistakes, and go kick ass on the cumulative exam! Put it this way: the other part of your entrance into law school will be some interview, or some biography of yourself and what you've learned in life... What are you going to write about? "How I got through University with excellent marks: Missed Work Forms and Dropped Courses". Sounds like a poopy title to me. Maybe you can put some paint on it and make it look like something else, but it's not a story about how you learned about the value of making mistakes, and how you learned the best way to re-evaluate from those mistakes.

First years: They're filled with entitlement because Ontario fed it to them in their school lunch box starting in 2008/2009... You know what we got before that? A boot in the rear, and if you were lucky, your lunch had a note that said "Love Mom"...

Last edited by mike_302 : 02-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Old 02-23-2012 at 10:58 PM   #14
Ardougne

Liked: 20 Times

DROP IT MAN.. YOU WILL REGRET THIS... all the high marks you get will be useless if you screw up in one class.