MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring to Level 2 Commerce From Life Science macnoob Academics 3 06-09-2013 03:39 PM
Transferring into Life Sciences titaniummob General Discussion 15 10-23-2011 06:45 PM
Social Sciences --> Life Science Courses JamesMonroe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-25-2011 11:08 AM
switch from social sciences to science level 2 bubblegum3 Academics 4 06-30-2010 12:23 PM

help in transferring from first year social sciences to level II life science

Old 06-03-2014 at 09:07 PM   #1
Parika Tewari

Liked: 0 Times

help in transferring from first year social sciences to level II life science
hello guys
i am so confused about how to make things work. i have accepted my offer for social sciences at mac and i am heading to university this fall but i plan on going to med school in future and i really want to transfer next year from soc sci to life science II and i really need your help in figuring out what courses should i take and that is it better to take chem 1A03 and chem 1AA3 in summer next year ? or what
i am so stressed.. please help :(
Old 06-04-2014 at 06:00 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Probably not better to leave chem courses until the summer, since you'll have no choice but to leave bio 1A03 until the summer.
If the course calendar is confusing you then you should speak to an academic advisor. They can even see if you can transfer in or before September (may not be possible, but sometimes it is).

Parika Tewari says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-04-2014 at 10:18 AM   #3
Parika Tewari

so i should talk to academic advisor and see if its possible for me to take both the chem courses and just leave bio 1A03 for summer right.!! i hope its possible
Old 06-04-2014 at 11:22 AM   #4
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Sorry to inform you that you are probably not going to make it into med school.

Given your ineptitude, I looked up your course list for you : http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...id=7&poid=4180
Old 06-04-2014 at 03:43 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parika Tewari View Post
so i should talk to academic advisor and see if its possible for me to take both the chem courses and just leave bio 1A03 for summer right.!! i hope its possible
I can't see why it shouldn't be possible...I meant you should see if switching in or before this September is possible. I know someone who was able to switch programs during Welcome Week.

Just so you know, med school is possible from soc sci too.

And don't limit yourself to just med school. In my high school, there were 400 people in my year, and at least 50 planned on going to med school. Six years later, 3 are actually in med school, and nobody is in med school in Canada. Way more people ended up going to grad school or into other professions.
Old 06-04-2014 at 05:30 PM   #6
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I can't see why it shouldn't be possible...I meant you should see if switching in or before this September is possible. I know someone who was able to switch programs during Welcome Week.

Just so you know, med school is possible from soc sci too.

And don't limit yourself to just med school. In my high school, there were 400 people in my year, and at least 50 planned on going to med school. Six years later, 3 are actually in med school, and nobody is in med school in Canada. Way more people ended up going to grad school or into other professions.
The problem is the feasibility, you said it yourself, of the 50 in your highschool who wanted to go to med school only 3 are in it. Unless you are a genius at a start, I don't see it really possible to go from non stellar highschool to super stellar grades and involvement in university. I think it is better for the OP to have SMART goals instead, I know some people who say that they want to go into Med School but was in Arts and took a bunch of Science courses and the GPA got screwed over. Now that person cannot not only go to med school, they limited their ability to find a proper job...
Old 06-04-2014 at 06:02 PM   #7
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I know some people who say that they want to go into Med School but was in Arts and took a bunch of Science courses and the GPA got screwed over. Now that person cannot not only go to med school, they limited their ability to find a proper job...
This is so true. If you don't do very well, then a crap degree like Life Sci is essentially useless unless if you're into research and staying for many more years to come so that you'll do a masters and a PhD.
Old 06-04-2014 at 06:54 PM   #8
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Technically you can get into med school even if every course you take is in social sciences. It's the MCATs you have to worry about.
Old 06-10-2014 at 12:38 AM   #9
Parika Tewari

Thanks guys..!! ☺️
Old 06-10-2014 at 01:35 AM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

stay in soc sci and get a high gpa in it while doing med school preqreqs (ontario schools have almost no prereqs) why waste time to switch programs? only switch to life science if you want to do some science courses and not for med school.