MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
back to back classes? mandee08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 08-20-2009 11:59 PM
Going back to (Med) School samikas Academics 22 07-21-2009 12:26 AM
And We're Back! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 21 06-29-2009 02:47 AM
When do we come back? J-Met General Discussion 2 12-30-2008 11:59 PM
We'll be back soon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-12-2006 09:54 PM

He's Back...

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:35 PM   #16
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
....I remember when I was in first year...
...go on...? o.o;
Old 03-30-2011 at 07:47 PM   #17
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

The point is you can't solicit like that on McMaster's private property - just like those stupid CollegePro people.

Can we stop trolling and stick to the point?

justinsftw likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:20 PM   #18
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
The point is you can't solicit like that on McMaster's private property - just like those stupid CollegePro people.

Can we stop trolling and stick to the point?
You can't do a lot of things but that doesn't mean you can't.

Recently, it was observed that McMaster own security force broke the rule in regards to pedestrian safety when crossing a controlled intersection.

It was fortunate that no one was harm but it could have resulted in a devastating lost of life.

This topic is about one innocent man who had unfortunately lost two of the most important abilities in life (If he is deaf, I'm assuming he can't speak either). He might have broken the no solicitation rule, but even under the most extreme circumstances no physical harm would come to anyone.

I still see no verifiable evidences from the mass statement that is he is deceiving others.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:23 PM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I still see no verifiable evidences from the mass statement that is he is deceiving others.
I don't think you should need it. With a post-secondary education one would assume most people here would have a reasonable sense of judgment.

Also, these guys are all over Toronto and other big city centers. If you've been there, you know. Our taxes pay for services for people who need them, so if he needs help that's where he can get it - NOT on my campus. (We're pretty broke anyways, let's face it)
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:32 PM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
I don't think you should need it. With a post-secondary education one would assume most people here would have a reasonable sense of judgment.

Also, these guys are all over Toronto and other big city centers. If you've been there, you know. Our taxes pay for services for people who need them, so if he needs help that's where he can get it - NOT on my campus. (We're pretty broke anyways, let's face it)
On the contrary, with a post-secondary education one would assume most people here would have better sense of judgement when facts are being presented without sources.

Try writing a research paper without proper references and citations and see how far you will get.

Deferring responsibility to "taxes" is a false approach and show how our society have dehumanize us.

From your replies and others, I see no suggestion of directing said individual to these "services" merely the fact that you want him to be deported from our campus due to non-confirm sources of his deception.

We all have the choice of either giving with our heart and money or not. From my observation, no threat and continuing harassment was presented by the said individual. He is the victim here, not McMaster's students.

smarties13 likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:36 PM   #21
micadjems
Awesome Member

If I wanted to be bothered by beggars, I'd go downtown.

This is the university - it's supposed to be a safe place for students.

If I choose to give to the poor, I will do that in my own time. I don't need people coming up to me when I'm trying to study.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:38 PM   #22
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
He approached me in ABB the other day (in the hallway where the TAs are too, very suspicious) and handed me that card thing. The card says "buy this card and the money goes to deaf people as charity" something like that.

I said, "how much is it?" and he responded "2 dollars".

He took the card from me and walked away... I was left confused and oblivious at the time....

I wanted to keep the card too, it was printed paper glued on coloured construction paper! Its a good try, I wonder how many people fell for it.

micadjems says thanks to Serene for this post.

giftedchick, smarties13 like this.
Old 03-30-2011
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:51 PM   #23
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
This is the university - it's supposed to be a safe place for students.
Your statement again, is consider as libel. I already stated that there is no cases being reported of a student being harm in this incident. As a result, I don't see how it interfere with the student's safety.

It seems to be a very prejudice view by suggesting that all beggars are out to hurt others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
He approached me in ABB the other day (in the hallway where the TAs are too, very suspicious) and handed me that card thing. The card says "buy this card and the money goes to deaf people as charity" something like that.

I said, "how much is it?" and he responded "2 dollars".

He took the card from me and walked away... I was left confused and oblivious at the time....

I wanted to keep the card too, it was printed paper glued on coloured construction paper! Its a good try, I wonder how many people fell for it.
Was there another witness to the event?

In either cases, I agree with lawleypop. He might have just been very good at lip reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
When the **** did deaf = mute?
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:53 PM   #24
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Your statement again, is consider as libel. I already stated that there is no cases being reported of a student being harm in this incident. As a result, I don't see how it interfere with the student's safety.

It seems to be a very prejudice view by suggesting that all beggars are out to hurt others.

Students belong on the campus, in the libraries. Mystery people asking for money = sketchy. Come on now.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:00 PM   #25
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
When the **** did deaf = mute?

And we're talking about being in university...
Don't mean to defend the dude, but if you were born deaf or lost your hearing early enough, you probably don't know what letters sound like, so you can't really be taught to talk.

Actually, I'd imagine it'd be difficult to learn how to read and write too. I kind of wonder how that works now...
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:07 PM   #26
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
The card says "buy this card and the money goes to deaf people as charity" something like that.
Seems like a charitable approach here. This does not differ from asking students to donate for Japan's disaster.

Quote:
Mystery people asking for money = sketchy.
Plus, he is only a mystery person because you chose not to get to know him.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:09 PM   #27
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Don't mean to defend the dude, but if you were born deaf or lost your hearing early enough, you probably don't know what letters sound like, so you can't really be taught to talk.

Actually, I'd imagine it'd be difficult to learn how to read and write too. I kind of wonder how that works now...
Often they can speak just fine, and know the usual grammar, etc, but pronunciation tends to be off (since they usually don't know what words sound like, can't hear or really correct errors, etc, assuming they were old enough to learn speech before they loss their hearing.

But any way regardless of whether this guy is legit or not (I have serious doubts, but there's quite a debate on here already), I would not give him anything on the basis he makes me feel uncomfortable and unsafe in a place that is supposed to be the opposite.

Edit: This is also different from asking for Japan, etc relief. The legitimacy of groups that do that (ie campus clubs or charities) can be verified to a much greater extent. The practices of this man also draw him into question.

Last edited by britb : 03-30-2011 at 09:16 PM.

micadjems says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:09 PM   #28
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

This topic is about one innocent man who had unfortunately lost two of the most important abilities in life (If he is deaf, I'm assuming he can't speak either). He might have broken the no solicitation rule, but even under the most extreme circumstances no physical harm would come to anyone.
That is an incredibly inaccurate assumption to make. Even some people born deaf can learn to speak. And you have no idea when this guy lost his hearing (if at all). Knowing whether or not someone is able to hear tells you absolutely nothing about their ability to speak.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:13 PM   #29
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

That's why there's sign language, in which they incorporate visual stimuli with objects, much like we incorporate the stimuli with words. It is also possible, afterwards, to learn a contingency between the written word and the sign it corresponds to.

Incidentally, if you lost hearing late in life, you still could read lips.