MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clinical Placement + Criminal Record = Possible disaster?? aw07 General Discussion 12 07-04-2011 03:54 PM
HlthAge 1BB3 Placement vs Discussion? Alicia.I First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-03-2011 11:34 PM
Advanced Placement and McMaster ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-05-2010 10:23 PM
Why not Consider a Career Field Placement during Reading Week? Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-19-2010 10:26 AM
Reminder for all Users: MacInsiders Terms of Service lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-01-2009 11:14 AM

Hey Macinsiders users, tell me about your summer job/placement!

Old 07-11-2011 at 08:43 PM   #16
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

I'll agree it's a little late to start up this discussion, but it's a great idea for everyone to share how they landed their summer jobs so others can think ahead for next summer. Only 6-7 months before we have to start applying again ;-)

I'm currently working as a Student Office Administrator at the Ministry of Revenue in Oshawa; it's a 7 week temporary placement and I found the job through the Ontario Public Service Careers Website ( http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Jobs.aspx ). The summer student job ads are posted around January-February and you just mass-apply online to as many of them as possible. I'd 100% recommend exploring this website - there are jobs available across Ontario (not just in Oshawa) and in a variety of fields (Science, Social Service, Finance, just to name a few). I don't even plan on building my future career on finance/economics (I understood nothing in Econ 1B03, lol) but getting to work for the government has been a great experience so far, and looks decent on a resume (or so I'm told).

I am by no means trying to gloat about having a summer job - I was dismally unemployed mere weeks ago and I know how crappy it feels. Sick Kids Hospital, Wal-Mart, McDonald's and countless others ignored my life... but hopefully this will help someone out there hahah

Old 07-11-2011 at 09:14 PM   #17
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Got a 16-month internship as an A/R Analyst at Ford. Got it as part of the Internship program and through the faculty. I got pretty lucky.

I'm still undergoing training. Mostly doing dealer maintenance and reviewing certain accounts.
Apparently most of my position got outsourced before I started the job. So once my training is done, I'm not really completing account reconciliations as I am reviewing other people's.

Right now it's the summer hours program. Which is not bad, I work an extra hour Monday-Thursday and I can take half of Friday off. Unfortunately this doesn't last the whole internship.
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:18 PM   #18
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

i work at RBC's head office in T.O. doing trades and stuff....its long hours and really stressful but it pays well!
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:51 PM   #19
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
i work at RBC's head office in T.O. doing trades and stuff....its long hours and really stressful but it pays well!
how did you manage to get that job?
Old 07-11-2011 at 10:07 PM   #20
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWitches View Post
why are you posting this now? with little over a month of summer now employer is going to waste time training a student now. Which leads me to believe someone just wants to have a good gloat. I have a full time job so I don't care, but to those that don't this is just cruel
I just wanted a list of success stories so unemployed students feel like shit and try harder next summer. You caught me.

And summer's only halfway done anyways. Better to try some of these things if you're sitting at home bored. Who knows? Maybe do some volunteering, network with some people, and those connections might help you out in the future. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-11-2011 at 10:14 PM   #21
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

TA'ing chem 1A03 and 1AA3, a lot of fun! (marking reports... not so much)
Old 07-12-2011 at 12:48 PM   #22
gguarna

Liked: 5 Times

I'm currently working at my old high school were I do athletic camp in the morning, and I'm a TA for French in the afternoon! Honestly, working hard and making connections with your teachers and administration is what got me this job! I'm also making over minimum which is nice.

I also have my part-time job at American Eagle -_-
Old 07-12-2011 at 03:17 PM   #23
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Bank Job @ Scotiabank from 9-4
Sales @ Jack and Jones 5-9

Fun fun fun.

Last edited by Cliu91 : 07-12-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2011 at 03:34 PM   #24
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

Development Intern over @ Fenix Data Systems in Mississauga, ten minutes away from home, along with MATH2ZZ3 on Monday/Wednesday nights.

9-5 placement: testing, little bits of programming, debugging, database work, the usual grind stuff.

Currently an unpaid intern placement, with future payment opportunities, since these guys are a small-ish company working on just their one application.

As many other people have pointed out, got it through connections. Dad works across the hallway in a different office, and I got this placement by visiting the workplace, making a few connections here and there, getting to know people. Found out one of my (current) coworkers is my dad's colleague from his university (...25 years ago?) and things went well from there.
Old 07-12-2011 at 03:35 PM   #25
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Working at UBM TechInsights in Ottawa as Circuit Analyst Intern, doing RE (Reverse Engineering) on any and every electronic product you can think of.

Oh, and got the job through a coop oscar posting back in May