MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture Chad 1st Year Course Reviews 27 06-11-2012 10:45 AM
History 2P03/History 2HI3 ardenelva 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 09-13-2011 08:05 PM
Econ 1bb3, Hlth Age 1bb3, Linguist 1a03 waldo92 Academics 4 09-17-2010 10:42 PM
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Looking for the History Book 1BB3 flea2008 General Discussion 0 09-13-2008 07:17 PM

History 1BB3; take or not?

Old 06-09-2010 at 09:52 AM   #1
Buddha

Liked: 1 Time

History 1BB3; take or not?
Should I take History 1BB3 as an elective? I'm interested in the 20th century and I think this could be a cool course. It's taught by Mukharji, but ratemyprof doesn't have an entry for him.
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:01 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

The material for the course is potentially interesting but I hated the course as taught by Dr. Egan. Since Dr. Egan isn't teaching it I'd say go for it, I don't know about the other Prof but the subject matter is solid.

It was Dr. Egan's style of teaching and convoluted way of moving through history that made me really, really, really hate the lectures, not the material he was supposed to be covering.
Old 06-09-2010 at 01:31 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

This course, especially taught by him, is generally considered to be very representative of upper level courses. There's a good number of readings and you have to actually work to keep up with him in lectures, but I found it very easy and did well.

A number of people disliked it, but I think I honesty think its because they were either too lazy to do the readings, not used to not be coddled (compared to other first year courses, its less highschool-ish), just sucked at history, or had horrible writing skills. I don't think background knowledge was an issue, most of the stuff he goes over isn't covered in even IB history.

It was easily one of my lightest courses, but I come for a science background, so it might be different for you. Either way, I would take this course again, it was a good survey of the period I like (20th century) and didn't focus on Europe (he specializes in Asian history, essp the India-Pakistan-Bangladesh area, so there were a lot of examples from there), which tends to happen with 20th century.

Buddha likes this.
Old 06-09-2010 at 01:40 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
This course, especially taught by him, is generally considered to be very representative of upper level courses. There's a good number of readings and you have to actually work to keep up with him in lectures, but I found it very easy and did well.

A number of people disliked it, but I think I honesty think its because they were either too lazy to do the readings, not used to not be coddled (compared to other first year courses, its less highschool-ish), just sucked at history, or had horrible writing skills. I don't think background knowledge was an issue, most of the stuff he goes over isn't covered in even IB history.

It was easily one of my lightest courses, but I come for a science background, so it might be different for you. Either way, I would take this course again, it was a good survey of the period I like (20th century) and didn't focus on Europe (he specializes in Asian history, essp the India-Pakistan-Bangladesh area, so there were a lot of examples from there), which tends to happen with 20th century.
Are you talking Egan or Mukharji?

Presumably the latter, otherwise I would be offended at being called lazy or someone who sucks at History and/or writing b/c I didn't like the way a course was taught by a particular Prof.

Just because people don't like a certain Professor's teaching style doesn't make them any of the above just because it was a light course for you. You might have a different learning style or prefer different things than other people.
Old 06-09-2010 at 01:48 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Mukjarji! Sorry, I should have cleared that up. I have a horrible time trying to spell his name.

I mean lazy because you are given the readings at the beginning of the year, and it was stressed in nearly every lecture and tutorial to read them, every answer was in there. Admittedly, some were long, but I know some people only did poorly because they refused to sit down and go through them, even with the tutorials and lectures constantly dealing with them.

As for writing skills, its a big part of the course and if you aren't strong in essays, you'll suffer for it. Same thing for not being strong in history - there's a certain way to handle the assignments, and if you don't acknowledge/follow that, your mark will suffer.

I was just trying to point out reasons people might have done bad/not like the course. Sorry if it sounded a bit harsh.
Old 06-09-2010 at 01:53 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I suggest reading the description in the undergrad calender, and reading reviews. Also try to find a previous course outline. If you like what you read, go for it!