MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions about my Timetable theboywho2 Academics 10 06-25-2012 11:14 AM
Opinions on my new timetable EngineBoy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-25-2011 09:08 PM
Be honest... BillyShears Gaming 27 02-24-2011 12:34 AM
Opinions on the strike oakster15 General Discussion 88 11-05-2009 11:51 AM

Honest opinions...

Old 08-22-2012 at 05:07 PM   #31
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
im really sorry you think every man is like you.
I was speaking quite generally about the typical opinion of the average man, based on all of the ones I've known thus far... I wasn't imposing my own beliefs in that statement.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 08-22-2012
drstevieb
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-23-2012 at 01:13 AM   #32
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Ummmmm......lets see I'm pretty dense when it gets to relationship and stuff like that but I've always been interested about how both sex's behavior and brains work! Guys are quite the hunters and you kinda can't blame them, biologically they're visual that's how they're created and that's how there's that part of their brain that goes "TINK" look here's a hot chick with such beautiful long legs passing by, look at that long silky hair lol Girls on the other hand are quite verbal, auditory and emotional and that's also biological. That's why you find girls go crazy over a guy with a British accent or very gentle man offering her his seat, simple stuff like that matters lol

I won't really go on my way and say yes guys would be attracted, or no they won't I'm not a guy and they think differently and I still think it's subjective! But according to psychological studies and survey's almost 78% of people would judge by looks first before they get to know the personality. And men tend to do that more when it comes to women, as I said it's proven they are visual and they have this thing in their hormones and brain that makes them do so!
You could check this fun article explains quite a bit of what I'm saying: http://articles.cnn.com/2010-03-23/o...s=PM:OPINI ON

But that's because they...will I think...won't really take such a relationship or choice to further steps. I mean female and male brains do have their differences but they are still alike. If a man were to take a relationship seriously as in you know it's time to be responsible and get married, or for some people common law, then looks won't be the only thing he'd be concerned about. For those who took the high school course of family studies there are steps to get that "one" that both men and women would think a like for and definitely looks won't be the only thing. At least that's what 'd like to think too. There's care, friendship, love, communication, conflict resolution, family, reputation for some people, culture, interests and dislikes, and the list goes on!

That's why girls who wear long dresses and cover up or don't show a lot of their body could be considered under the category of plain. But to be honest I'm one of these girls, I cover up and I'm not that hot I think I'm your typical average girl and I like it ^-^ If we go back to history women have always wore long dresses, a famous example would be the women tennis uniforms in the 1800s or the early 1900s. Until now we still have girls who don't like to show off their bodies for some men's pleasure or just to follow fashion trends. There are some Asians who stick to that, people from religious backgrounds like Orthodox, Coptic, or more in Christianity that I can't remember. There are religious Jews that I've seen cover up. Also, Muslim girls who wear long and the head scarf. I mean such girls do eventually force a guy to think of that girls personality rather than her looks or body first. That doesn't mean they're not beautiful. For me I see myself very self worthy and in the end it's all about confidence! You can't expect people to see a girl beautiful and attractive if she can't see that in herself first, or at least if one is good enough they'd try to help her figure that out.

And since I'm a girl I always believe in the beauty of the inner soul lol Sounds cliche but I try to follow the so famous English idiom "Never judge a book by its cover", which is hard but I try. But unfortunately in our generation, media isn't much of a help when it comes to this. I mean look at the cover of all these celebrity magazines,or how women dress in music videos or related stuff. It keeps sending messages, look at me, look at me, look at how hot I am! Not see through me -_- Which gives the guys what they want to see and tells the girls how they should look and dress like *Sigh*

We girls tend to be less confident of ourselves. Am I too fat? Oh yes I've gained weight! Honestly I tend to do that every now and then lol Or am I too tall? Oh God no I will absolutely fail that test and that pisses me off the most when some girls say that because they end up getting really good marks >.>

I don't think anybody is perfect or excellent, you can't say she has an excellent personality, humans aren't perfect we make mistakes that's how we learn. I could see maybe you're saying having a good, attractive personality instead. But I don't think I've seen an ugly girl that would be so rejected. From my point of view, I believe if such a girl actually exists and she has beauty taken from her then there must be something that will replace that taken beauty. I believe this impacts anybody; if there is something taken away from them then there is something else given to them that makes them special. Like some guys here say they'd go for a girl that is dump but has the looks. She has the looks that makes her acceptable. If a girl doesn't look good but has a personality then she has the behavior that shines. But she of course can try to make herself look good, not fancy but good, what kinda of girl wouldn't want to!
In the end , I think balance is always the key :')

Last edited by Galanthus : 08-23-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2012 at 01:18 AM   #33
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

WOW I actually typed too much! Sorry about that but what can you say I'm a social science student, writing is a hobby lol

Vessi likes this.
Old 08-23-2012
Chris23
Old 08-23-2012 at 07:48 AM   #34
taayholds

Liked: Liked 9 Times

I do think that looks are the first thing that attract you to someone, but as you get to know them better they become more attractive to you because of their personality. So if she has "all the time in the world to make him fall in love with her" than I think it could be possible, but he'd have to become a good friend first.
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:38 AM   #35
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by taayholds View Post
I do think that looks are the first thing that attract you to someone, but as you get to know them better they become more attractive to you because of their personality. So if she has "all the time in the world to make him fall in love with her" than I think it could be possible, but he'd have to become a good friend first.
How exactly do you make someone fall in love with you? It doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-23-2012 at 09:02 AM   #36
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
How exactly do you make someone fall in love with you? It doesn't make any sense.
Haha man these girls on here think that given enough time, any girl can force a guy into loving them. News flash! it doesnt work that way! If a guy doesnt like a girl, you cant force him into changing his mind. And yeah, its a shallow world we live in, the first thing a person notices isnt the personality, its what they visually percieve of the person. If there isnt an attraction, you could have the best personality in the world, but it just wont work. So lets just put an end to this thread and say simply, if you are extremely repulsive in physical appearance, but have a great personality, then no you arent likely to get a great looking guy.
Now every guy will agree with this, but all the girls are going to hold out hope that its not true, and a girl can be pretty enough on the inside to win someone over... EVEN THOUGH girls are the same way. Try telling me that girls arent just as shallow as guys. The general population of the world is shallow, GIRLS INCLUDED

Old 08-23-2012 at 10:27 AM   #37
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
And yeah, its a shallow world we live in, the first thing a person notices isnt the personality, its what they visually percieve of the person.
Indeed, it's rooted in survival instincts. Naturally you won't perceive someone who's visually unhealthy or repulsive in some way (which your mind probably interprets to be disease/infection on some low level) as attractive.

Your 'attractiveness' is determined by your success (in the abstract sense - wealth, confidence, sociability. etc) as well as your physical appearance.

It's SCIENCE.
Old 08-23-2012 at 10:39 AM   #38
Chris23
Account Locked

unfortunately OP, the men of SI have made it quite clear, appearance matters, and if an unnattractive girl with a good personality, and a great looking girl with less of a personality both like a guy, 9 times out of 10 the guy will take the hot one. We can just call her personality a work in progress right guys

Last edited by Chris23 : 08-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2012 at 11:54 AM   #39
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
Obviously that was a joke the second time...

and it's not just me, it's pretty much every girl.
Like I said, sometimes when even just 1 guy chooses another girl over you, it's really easy to blame it on your looks and assume it's because the other girl is better looking..
well... there's their sign i guess
Old 08-23-2012 at 12:28 PM   #40
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

stop mentioning that garbage confidence boost thing for the op. no one cares. its insulting to the op anyways.
Old 08-23-2012 at 12:35 PM   #41
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
I love how the positive answers are from girls and the honest answers are from guys..

But I also think that the guys are taking this a little more literal than the girls.
Obviously I'm not talking about a 600 pound woman with a beard and a mustache.
I just couldn't figure out a way to get everyone to think on the same level of "unattractiveness ".

To me, unattractive just means very plain.
Not the kind of girl everyone stares at because she's so ugly,
but not the kind of girl guys would stare at because she's good looking, either.

--again, this has nothing to do with what I think of myself... haha
Can I just say this, plain != unattractive. Remember that key distinction, I think a key component to how attractive someone is their personality, but of course at first glance its the way they look that issues the first impression. But if you are like, a hideous troll all warty in the face with like skin that hasn't been washed in years chewing on tobacco with snots oozing out of your nostrils... yeah, thats pretty unattractive. If I'm physically repulsed, the person is unattractive.
Old 08-23-2012 at 12:36 PM   #42
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Why is everyone getting so defensive over this. Of course the most unattractive girl CAN get the best looking guy...but is it realistic? not really. I think age is also a big factor. I feel like the older you are the more people value your social class and money, rather than how attractive you look. Its pretty sad.
Old 08-23-2012
Chris23