MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Biology and Mathematics kaitotst Academics 6 12-09-2011 10:59 PM
Honours mathematics and computer science Mowk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-17-2011 07:56 AM
Actuarial Sciences jennisr Academics 0 09-09-2010 08:21 PM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
MATH 2K03 - Financial Mathematics troth Academics 7 08-19-2009 07:42 PM

Honours Actuarial and Financial Mathematics?

Old 07-14-2012 at 08:43 PM   #1
labeeb

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Actuarial and Financial Mathematics?
Is it possible for us to switch into this program? It says

"(The availability of this program is subject to Ministry Approval.)"

Im not exactly sure what that implies. But I do meet the requirements, so would it be possible to switch into it?
Old 07-14-2012 at 08:59 PM   #2
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

it means that the program is just being started (this is the first year it's offered)

labeeb says thanks to drpatel for this post.
Old 07-14-2012 at 09:09 PM   #3
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

yes you can easily switch if you have all prepreqs

labeeb says thanks to Differential for this post.
Old 07-15-2012 at 01:12 PM   #4
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Sounds pretty cool. A lot of people see McMaster as a good choice for Financial Mathematics at the graduate level, just behind Waterloo and Toronto. Looking at the course list, this looks like an awesome degree. You'll glide through those upper year Economics courses with more math taken early on. This is a better preparation for graduate work in Finance/Economics than the associated undergrad.

I wish this was offered earlier.

labeeb says thanks to WalkerBlue for this post.
Old 07-16-2012 at 07:22 AM   #5
labeeb

Liked: 0 Times

am i too late? i know acceptances have already gone out to programs, but would i still have a chance to switch into it?
Old 07-16-2012 at 07:30 AM   #6
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeeb View Post
am i too late? i know acceptances have already gone out to programs, but would i still have a chance to switch into it?
Best bet is to contact the Math department. I recently switched into another program well beyond the acceptance date for my final year. As long as you have the prerequisites you should be find.
Old 07-16-2012 at 07:48 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Sounds like an amazing program. Good luck to everyone who is entering it. I really like how they are incorporating work terms as a degree requirement.
Old 07-16-2012 at 07:52 AM   #8
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Yea and Im going into 4th year, I think its too late for me I wont have time to complete all the Comm classes required.
Dang.
Old 07-16-2012 at 08:37 AM   #9
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times

It is a nice degree name. However, I hope you guys understand what is necessitated to become an Actuary. Several, rigorous tests. This degree, in of it self, will not merit you an actuary, nor will employees hire you on the basis of the degree.

Just making things clear, here. If you do not get into the program, it is not the end of the world. Keep your GPAs as high as possible, be involved, etc.

Cheers.
Old 07-16-2012 at 08:42 AM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Yea I need to get started on those exams if i want an actuarial co-op position. But I just dont think its going to work for me right now, I could write on in November or January, and they suggest 100 hours of studying for each hour of the exam, which is 300 hours! If I wrote it in Novemeber I'd have to study like 3-4 hours per day plus regular term work and exams.

Congrats to people who can manage this - I don't think I am going to do it right now.
Old 07-17-2012 at 10:15 AM   #11
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Blankfein View Post
It is a nice degree name. However, I hope you guys understand what is necessitated to become an Actuary. Several, rigorous tests. This degree, in of it self, will not merit you an actuary, nor will employees hire you on the basis of the degree.

Just making things clear, here. If you do not get into the program, it is not the end of the world. Keep your GPAs as high as possible, be involved, etc.

Cheers.
I wasn't really talking about the name, nor do I think the only place you can head with this degree is towards an Actuary. I think this may be the most useful "finance" degree offered at McMaster.

Eternal Fire, Melanieee like this.
Old 07-17-2012 at 02:24 PM   #12
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

The other thing is that the only time you get to dip your feet into the actuarial water is through stats 3G and 3H whch I am taking next year (in my fourth year), so i have no idea if i even like actuarial studies! I know i sortof liked math 2K (now math 2fm i think) which is financial math, and then theres math 3fm which I dont think will fit in my schedule this year.
anyways, im just not sure enough if want to try to switch to this. and even if i had taken it from the begining, i would have very little actuarial experience by then end.
Old 07-17-2012 at 02:46 PM   #13
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Yea I need to get started on those exams if i want an actuarial co-op position. But I just dont think its going to work for me right now, I could write on in November or January, and they suggest 100 hours of studying for each hour of the exam, which is 300 hours! If I wrote it in Novemeber I'd have to study like 3-4 hours per day plus regular term work and exams.
My brother just graduated from Waterloo actuarial program and wrote the last exam last month (don't know what it's called) and when he initially wrote it they told him he failed but couple weeks ago he got an email saying that they screwed up with his test and he actually passed.
I don't know how often this happens but when u fail the exam make sure you actually failed it and not just a screw up
Old 07-17-2012 at 02:49 PM   #14
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
My brother just graduated from Waterloo actuarial program and wrote the last exam last month (don't know what it's called) and when he initially wrote it they told him he failed but couple weeks ago he got an email saying that they screwed up with his test and he actually passed.
I don't know how often this happens but when u fail the exam make sure you actually failed it and not just a screw up
Good point. I've actually heard of this happening before to someone else.
Old 07-17-2012 at 02:56 PM   #15
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Good point. I've actually heard of this happening before to someone else.
I was just reading on the website about the exam writing process. And you write it online and when you submit your final question it will give you a preliminary pass/faill and then 8 weeks later you hear your real results. But they say your initial pass/fail is very reliable, only 1 out of 40,000 students received an incorrect pass/fail statement. But this statement was "as of July 2006" or something.