MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Biology and Mathematics kaitotst Academics 6 12-09-2011 10:59 PM
Honours mathematics and computer science Mowk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-17-2011 07:56 AM
Actuarial Sciences jennisr Academics 0 09-09-2010 08:21 PM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
MATH 2K03 - Financial Mathematics troth Academics 7 08-19-2009 07:42 PM

Honours Actuarial and Financial Mathematics?

Old 07-17-2012 at 04:02 PM   #16
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

They may as well have titled it "Honours Mathematics & Statistics: Get A Job specialization".

Last edited by Mahratta : 07-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Melanieee likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 11:50 AM   #17
overthehills

Liked: 0 Times

Hmm this seems like a really interesting program, did you contact the math department? I'm curious as to what they said
Old 07-18-2012 at 11:59 AM   #18
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
They may as well have titled it "Honours Mathematics & Statistics: Get A Job specialization".
Although Mahratta, when you meet someone and they ask you what you study and you say Math and Stats, do you always get the asnwer "Oh I hate math! So what are you gonna do? Teach?"

Yes the only thing I can do with Math and Stats is teach high school level trig. What are you going to do with your Humanities degree? Read?

Old 07-19-2012 at 11:33 AM   #19
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Although Mahratta, when you meet someone and they ask you what you study and you say Math and Stats, do you always get the asnwer "Oh I hate math! So what are you gonna do? Teach?"
If I know them well enough, then I say something along the lines of:

If I'm lucky, then I'll get a cushy academic/industrial research job, and probably get far more out of it than a conventional job.
Else, I'm glad we have a good social security program in Canada.

As an aside, whatever happened to being interested in what you do? It seems like it's normal to think "I'll get a job I hate that pays well, and buy lots of useless possessions/booze/etc. with the earnings to drown out how bad my life will be."

If anything, I think engineers (using this as it is thought of as the most "practical" degree, but I don't mean to single out engineers) ought to worry more about that than I ought to worry about immediate job prospects.

It's not even like our job prospects are bad; it's just hard to get a job in math, and for good reason. Math jobs are some of the best out there; good pay, little work, great benefits and you're generally doing something that you like a lot. So it makes sense that there are few of these, just like there are few jobs in the "pure research" areas of engineering, or physics, or whatever.

There's a whole lot of jobs in IT, engineering, etc. that math majors can get into as "fallbacks", I don't think the same can be said of most disciplines.

Last edited by Mahratta : 07-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2012 at 12:43 PM   #20
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Thats why Im heading down the path of Statistics, its more applied and there are more jobs. And I generally like it, as of right now Im not very good at it - I am starting to realize that I must have a talent for remembering content for tests and getting good grades, but the stuff never sticks I feel like I know nothing.

Anyways, if I can actually claim that I am an expert in undergrad stats by the time im done, I think Ill be able to get a good job. No research required please and thank you!
Old 07-19-2012 at 12:58 PM   #21
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Thats why Im heading down the path of Statistics, its more applied and there are more jobs. And I generally like it, as of right now Im not very good at it - I am starting to realize that I must have a talent for remembering content for tests and getting good grades, but the stuff never sticks I feel like I know nothing.

Anyways, if I can actually claim that I am an expert in undergrad stats by the time im done, I think Ill be able to get a good job. No research required please and thank you!
you should supplement your stats knowledge by taking Econometrics 1 and 2.
Old 07-19-2012 at 01:02 PM   #22
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
you should supplement your stats knowledge by taking Econometrics 1 and 2.
are those econ classes?

EDIT: Too many pre reqs, no even gonna finish reading the course descrip.
Old 07-19-2012 at 01:14 PM   #23
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
are those econ classes?

EDIT: Too many pre reqs, no even gonna finish reading the course descrip.
they are econ courses but at their core is application of stats.
Old 07-19-2012
Chris23
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-19-2012 at 03:37 PM   #24
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Sounds like a lot intra-educational bashing going on here. What you're identifying is a broader issue with the value of education in an economic environment that has neglected youth employment issues almost entirely. In terms of employability, there are a number of reasonable career options for someone with a solid math preparation- as you identified.

I guess everyone likes to feel like they're smarter than someone.

My advice? Cherish your education for what it is. The best quote I've heard on the subject is that "work is the tunnel at the end of the light". We'll all mostly be disappointed in the future, don't rush to get there.

Last edited by WalkerBlue : 07-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2012 at 03:41 PM   #25
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

I didnt mean to bash lol