MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion on the MSU lorend General Discussion 14 11-18-2009 12:53 AM
Opinion Please frantic General Discussion 5 05-06-2009 01:36 AM
Does anyone know how many GO stops there are at Mcmaster? Thanks everyone! Arnold General Discussion 3 09-03-2008 10:17 PM
Need opinion on a design Chad General Discussion 14 05-30-2008 09:19 AM

HSR bus stops - your opinion now

Old 11-09-2009 at 10:34 PM   #1
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

HSR bus stops - your opinion now
Now that we all have seen how the bus stops will likely be in 2010 or whenever they plan on making McMaster a "pedestrian-only" campus, I ask you:

How do you like it?

I personally don't mind the way it was set up, but would greatly prefer the buses on campus. I am firmly against the move, as it means students need to brave the chill for absolutely no reason.

You may think its safer with no buses on campus, but I disagree.
From personal experience, I *almost* got hit by 12 bikes(was within a foot) on campus this year. No buses even took me by surprise so far these 4 years I've been here.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:38 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

no buses > buses

and bikes are here regardless of buses
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:41 PM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
no buses > buses

and bikes are here regardless of buses
Kinda missed my point about the bikes there champ.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:43 PM   #4
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Kinda missed my point about the bikes there champ.
no i got your point. but it was illogical.

having buses and bikes means you're more likely going to be hit than just bikes or buses alone.

also there have been people hit by buses (and killed) before.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:46 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
no buses > buses
buses > no buses

Old 11-09-2009 at 10:51 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I take the beeline, which has been stopping off campus since last year. I've been walking 10 minutes to and from the bus stops in winter since last year so I don't care. At first, I hated it. But now, I LOVE it!!

When the beeline was on campus, everyone and their brother would take it to close places like Westdale, when they easily could have taken any other bus. A lot of times I wouldn't even be able to get on the bus because it's so full of people who get off at Westdale, and for people (like me) who NEED the beeline because any other bus ride would take over 2 hours to get home, it's very frustrating.

So I'm very happy it's off campus.
If all other buses are going to be off campus, that will suck, because everyone will start taking the beeline again to places they could use any other bus to get to.
But I don't care because I'm graduating this year

The only part that is risky is all those students cramming on the tiny bus stop on Main Street. During the strike there were quite a few, and it was dangerous. I can only imagine what it would be like if all students had to wait there. Someone is going to get pushed or fall onto the road..

Last edited by Kathy2 : 11-09-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:11 PM   #7
adrian
Elite Member

That reminds me, I've seen at least 2 incidents where a car had to screech their breaks in order to avoid hitting a student while the strike was on.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:17 PM   #8
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
That reminds me, I've seen at least 2 incidents where a car had to screech their breaks in order to avoid hitting a student while the strike was on.
students need to learn to look both ways when crossing the damn street like they were taught when they were 4.

busses >>>>> no busses,

campus just feels empty without them

micadjems, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:20 PM   #9
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post
students need to learn to look both ways when crossing the damn street like they were taught when they were 4.

busses >>>>> no busses,

Agreed. We're not children. The buses should be staying on campus. I'm lucky that I'm graduating, but if I wasn't, I'd have to significantly change my schedule to make up for the difference in time lost.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:29 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post

busses >>>>> no busses,

I agree. There are a lot of cars that don't realize/don't care that they CAN'T TURN RIGHT ON RED coming out of the university onto Main Street. I hate getting honked at when they have a red light and I have the white "you can walk now" guy!

adrian likes this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:29 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Honestly, no buses on campus is a waste of my time. I live by Main and Whitney, which is basically just outside of Dundas. While the bus takes ten minutes or less to get to campus, it takes me a full extra 10-15 minutes (depending on student traffic) to get from Main Street to buildings like CNH and DBAC. I was often late for class this week because even if I got the bus at a reasonable time, I have to waste time walking through campus.

Don't try to tell me to just 'wake up earlier'. I moved to where I am now because it's close, and I don't have to wake up and lose sleep. I feel MUCH more unsafe crossing the street at Main, and in front of the hospital. Drivers can be complete a-holes, and more people get hit on Main than anywhere else.

Everyone knows how to look both ways before crossing the street, but you guys have to remember that it's not always the pedestrian's fault why they get hit by a car -- I mean, think about it.

Taunton, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to feonateresa for this post.

scott000, xo.monica like this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:31 PM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Honestly, no buses on campus is a waste of my time. I live by Main and Whitney, which is basically just outside of Dundas. While the bus takes ten minutes or less to get to campus, it takes me a full extra 10-15 minutes (depending on student traffic) to get from Main Street to buildings like CNH and DBAC. I was often late for class this week because even if I got the bus at a reasonable time, I have to waste time walking through campus.
I live very close to you and can fully relate to this.

feonateresa, xo.monica like this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:32 PM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I agree that the B-Line should be taken to Main Street; It makes the overall ride shorter. But the point about lazy rides to westdale is the biggest issue. I work at eastgate these days and taking/not taking a B-Line makes a HUGE difference. I don't think alot of students will have the courtesy to NOT take the B-Line if that's the first bus they see and wait for the 5A/51/1A if they are going as far as downtown or Westdale!

However I still feel as if the other 3 busses should stay on campus; If people follow common road sense I see no reason why they should be getting hit by buses :S

The MSU has been trying to gain a stronger lobbying position on the issue because of the fact that we as students are large stakeholders. So far from what I heard it is the admin who wants the HSR off campus and not the HSR people per se. That leaves anything the MSU does in a disadvantage. They are even posing troubles for the plan of having transit Rail on campus. They want to put it up behind ITB; which defeats the purpose.

Another plan is to build a bus terminal where wentworth house is and for busses to avoid going through the center of campus and instead have them line up at the terminal. Which while slightly inconvinient for people at JHE/HSB is counteracted by the fact that busses will now have time to stop. They will be re-routed via Forsyth. The only issue with this idea is that McMaster is pretty broke! And they are flirting with the idea of having an Arts building there.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 11-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:35 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I agree that the B-Line should be taken to Main Street; It makes the overall ride shorter. But the point about lazy rides to westdale is the biggest issue. I work at eastgate these days and taking/not taking a B-Line makes a HUGE difference. I don't think alot of students will have the sense to NOT take the B-Line if that's the first bus they see and wait for the 5A/51/1A if they are going as far as downtown or Westdale!
This.

Buses bypassing campus has made it a lot faster to get to places and getting dropped off at King & Forsyth isn't too far from school. Then again, I walk to school daily.

I love it when people wait 10 minutes at King and Sterling for the bus and get annoyed when it drives by. It's faster to walk ;__;

JeffB likes this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:40 PM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This.

Buses bypassing campus has made it a lot faster to get to places and getting dropped off at King & Forsyth isn't too far from school. Then again, I walk to school daily.

I love it when people wait 10 minutes at King and Sterling for the bus and get annoyed when it drives by. It's faster to walk ;__;
LOL. I used to live downtown, so I had first dibs on the bus. I always wanted to laugh when we passed people at King & Sterling; it's like just WALK. You have two legs, use 'em.

It's so damn annoying when half the people getting on at Mac, are just going to Westdale... and they wait for the bus for 20 minutes, which is double the time it takes to walk there.