MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion on the MSU lorend General Discussion 14 11-18-2009 12:53 AM
Opinion Please frantic General Discussion 5 05-06-2009 01:36 AM
Does anyone know how many GO stops there are at Mcmaster? Thanks everyone! Arnold General Discussion 3 09-03-2008 10:17 PM
Need opinion on a design Chad General Discussion 14 05-30-2008 09:19 AM

HSR bus stops - your opinion now

Old 11-10-2009 at 12:30 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

A few weeks ago I was crossing at Sterling and Dalewood at a stop sign, and the 51 bus that was approaching had accelerated too much to be able to stop in time. I had to move into the intersection to avoid getting hit.

Not fun.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-10-2009 at 12:31 PM   #32
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
There are so many people riding on the sidewalks for no good reason. Whether on campus or off, I've had many a time when I was walking and a bike zoomed past me from behind.

I find it ridiculous that people don't understand this: bikes belong on the road. Stop being a douche and ride on the road like the rest of us.
Umm excuse me ? Did I ever even remotely mention that I ride my bike on sidewalk? I was talking about the Roads/Designated Bike Lanes within campus!

Guilty by association much? :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-10-2009 at 12:34 PM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Umm excuse me ? Did I ever even remotely mention that I ride my bike on sidewalk? I was talking about the Roads/Designated Bike Lanes within campus!

He wasn't accusing you of anything... his post was a general observation.
Old 11-10-2009 at 12:35 PM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

I'm pretty sure Danny isn't referring to you...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-10-2009 at 12:42 PM   #35
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I'm pretty sure Danny isn't referring to you...
Oh okay...He had my post Quoted and I was referring to biking on campus and not managing to remotely hit anyone...soo I assumed he was assuming that I ride on sidewalks :s

Oh well; Sorry Dan!

Old 11-10-2009 at 01:01 PM   #36
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Buses aren't the problem, it's everyone walking around listening to their Ipod and not looking before they cross. That's exactly what happened when that girl was killed crossing Cootes, and there was a large knee-jerk reaction following that.

I've been nearly run over by bikes on campus, but have never been close to anything remotely dangerous with a bus. A bike quickly zipping through crowds is not quite as docile as a slow moving, quick to stop bus on campus.
Old 11-10-2009 at 01:01 PM   #37
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
about the argument about not getting hit by a bus. this is one of the reasons for no buses. and it is valid. there is an increased chance of getting hit by a bus. And a few years ago a girl did die by getting hit by one.

yes, we all know how to cross intersections. but you fail to realize that females make up about 60% of this campus.

see above: "I got off on a stop that wasn't mine, I didn't know where to go, so confuz'd. bawwww"
Bravo, you managed to be sexist.
Old 11-10-2009 at 01:06 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I don't understand how people can cross the street without looking, that is something you learn when you are a kid. Also, why do people have to be wearing BOTH earbuds when walking on the sidewalks?
Old 11-10-2009 at 01:10 PM   #39
Taunton
Elite Member

It's really easy to listen to music and be aware of your surroundings... I do it all the time (and I don't use earbuds - I prefer out-of-the-ear headphones for numerous reasons).

Basically walk in a straight line and LOOK when you're going to cross the street. Not hard.

Bikes shouldn't be on sidewalks, but if you're walking in a straight line, then it shouldn't be a problem, since the cyclist will not need to worry about you randomly moving in front of them.

Last edited by Taunton : 11-10-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2009 at 01:20 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Bikes shouldn't be on sidewalks, but if you're walking in a straight line, then it shouldn't be a problem, since the cyclist will not need to worry about you randomly moving in front of them.
Bikes shouldn't be on the sidewalks, even if everyone were to walk in a straight line. I personally walk faster than the majority of the people and I have to pass people in front of me, thus making me not walk in a straight line. I'm sure other people can relate to this as well.
Old 11-10-2009 at 01:37 PM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Bikes shouldn't be on the sidewalks, even if everyone were to walk in a straight line. I personally walk faster than the majority of the people and I have to pass people in front of me, thus making me not walk in a straight line. I'm sure other people can relate to this as well.
I agree... I also walk very quickly... but for the most part, we should try to walk in a straight line.

Of course bikes shouldn't be on sidewalks, but it goes without saying that they in fact are on sidewalks regardless.
Old 11-10-2009 at 02:08 PM   #42
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
It's really easy to listen to music and be aware of your surroundings... I do it all the time (and I don't use earbuds - I prefer out-of-the-ear headphones for numerous reasons).
And for those of us...like myself...that do have the problem of not being as aware of our surroundings when we have ear phones on: Just pull them out for a second while you cross the street or walk through a busy group of people in the student center.

Not going to lie...If I don't take them out, I'm that obnoxious person that runs into everyone. It's like I have no peripheral vision with those things on...so weird.

Be a responsible individual! Be aware of your surroundings!
Old 11-10-2009 at 02:10 PM   #43
huzaifa47

Wierd; I ALWAYS have my headphones on and still haven't bumped into all that many people. But I've been doing that for years now, maybe my peripheral vision is used to it by now?

Old 11-10-2009 at 03:00 PM   #44
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

McMaster should gut under the entire open part of campus. They should make a tunnel system linking all buildings on campus to under the main open grass area. They should also make it so the buses drive down there to pick up students.

No one has to stand out in the rain/snow to wait for the bus.

You will be able to walk across campus without working about motor vehicles.

If it is snowing or raining, you can walk from ABB to CNH without getting wet.

It would also give the university an opportunity to show off newer "green" architecture.

All the walls could be "living walls" in the main areas/hallways More study space, more class space, more lab space.

aya017 likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 03:16 PM   #45
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
LOL. I used to live downtown, so I had first dibs on the bus. I always wanted to laugh when we passed people at King & Sterling; it's like just WALK. You have two legs, use 'em.

It's so damn annoying when half the people getting on at Mac, are just going to Westdale... and they wait for the bus for 20 minutes, which is double the time it takes to walk there.
I agree, unless it's raining or cold or something. I don't care about the King or anything, because it stops like every 15 feet. But when people used to get on the beeline, just to get off in Westdale, I wanted to scream. I don't know why they had the beeline stopping in Westdale anyway. It should have just gone straight through.