MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

iMac vs. Laptop?

Old 08-22-2010 at 11:09 PM   #1
Sonnet

Liked: Liked 2 Times

iMac vs. Laptop?
I currently have an iMac and was planning on taking it to McMaster with me, however at the same time my mom and I are worried that it will be too hard to drag back and forth when I come home for holidays because it's the only computer we have. We are also worried it will confine me to only being able to work in my res room. I also feel that almost everyone else has a laptop to take to class and what not. I am a first year social science student so I don't think we would really ever need a computer in class. Do you recommend I stick with my iMac or get a laptop? And if I should get a laptop, what kind do you recommend?

Thank You!
Old 08-22-2010 at 11:17 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnet View Post
I currently have an iMac and was planning on taking it to McMaster with me, however at the same time my mom and I are worried that it will be too hard to drag back and forth when I come home for holidays because it's the only computer we have. We are also worried it will confine me to only being able to work in my res room. I also feel that almost everyone else has a laptop to take to class and what not. I am a first year social science student so I don't think we would really ever need a computer in class. Do you recommend I stick with my iMac or get a laptop? And if I should get a laptop, what kind do you recommend?

Thank You!
Some students like to take notes on their laptop in class. Social science should all be words so it's easier to takes notes on a laptop than students in math, physics or chemistry. But you should take notes the way you like to. If you prefer handwritten notes because you can draw arrows and circle stuff then go with that. If you like the laptop because you type faster than you write then go with that.

You won't be confined to your room, as long as you have a USB key you can go to the library and rent laptops or use the computers there. But during midterm/exam time the libraries get very busy.

Un the end it's up to you. Consider the information I've provided as well as the information others provide and decide what you think is best for you.

Any laptop is fine, if you are use to the Mac format then go with that. If you want to save money then go with any other PC. As long as you take care of your laptop (both physically and electronically), it will last for multiple years.
Old 08-23-2010 at 12:44 AM   #3
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

iMac is perfectly fine, just look at the panera bread iMac guy, lugs his iMac from home to a coffee/breadshop just for WoW
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:27 PM   #4
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

I couldn't afford a laptop so I brought my big clunky PC to residence. I didn't mind that a bit. There are computers in the library and several smaller and less crowded computer labs in BSB that you can use, as well as renting a laptop if you need to study elsewhere.

Plus, laptops are easy to steal, but a 30 pound tower and monitor...notsomuch. So I'd say stay with the iMac for now and if you need a laptop then think about purchasing a small netbook or something similar in the future.

Also, Rubicon... WTF? Is that for real?
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:06 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Yeah, a netbook or laptop would probably be better, just because its the only computer you guys have - it would be hard for your family, I think, to not have a computer while you are at school.