MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A music major, imagine that. (: jessicalynn Introduce Yourself 24 08-28-2010 05:51 PM
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Is Christianity Good for the World? Theophilus General Discussion 48 03-30-2010 05:39 PM
Imagine More ... Music! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 02-01-2010 02:02 PM
Unions: Your thoughts Taunton General Discussion 122 07-27-2009 11:02 PM

Imagine a World without Unions :)

Old 01-10-2011 at 01:01 PM   #16
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
With your same concept you should have never got a summer job because the company probably decreased the hours of full time people so that they can hire a you and me, students for less and who do the same work.

Why is there so much ignorance in this world ?? Honestly.
With your same concept you should never get a permanent job because the company probably wants to save money by hiring part time workers and university co-op students.

(see what I did there?)
Quote:
So is it justifiable that they fight for their rights, yet the people on campus have to find their own means of getting food just because these greedy people do not care about the people they serve through their job ? They only care about their own career.
Just to clarify, there are still plenty of food options on campus. I haven't experienced a single inconvenience when it comes to getting myself meals now that the strike has started. In fact I can now get my food faster, as the cafeterias that are still open only are accepting payment using the meal plan, so only students on-campus students are being served.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 01-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.

lizziepizzie, taylojl like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 01:02 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

nope ****thisthreadisborin g

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-10-2011 at 01:32 PM   #18
person33

Liked: 53 Times

its time for willy dog to start its campus takeover

Old 01-10-2011 at 01:37 PM   #19
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
its time for willy dog to start its campus takeover
Win.

I just hope they don't get a pay raise. Benefits if they don't have them, whatever, play it by year... but considering they all make $15-$21 an hour for basically working jobs between McDonalds and Swiss Chalet at best, I think their base pay is more than enough.
Old 01-10-2011 at 01:51 PM   #20
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:

'Why is everyone so **** stupid?'

Thats what you sound like.

Last edited by collinbf : 01-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2011 at 02:11 PM   #21
stevenmm

Liked: 17 Times

I do not want to see a world without unions, I think it would be a very scary place. Unions do have their place in society.
Old 01-10-2011 at 02:44 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
So is it justifiable that they fight for their rights, yet the people on campus have to find their own means of getting food just because these greedy people do not care about the people they serve through their job ? They only care about their own career.
Well this starts to get into the specific issue of 'who' should have the right to strike... medical personnel, and other essential services too? The fact that it effects people's access to food does not apply to the argument against unionism in general.
Old 01-10-2011 at 02:44 PM   #23
kinetochore

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmm View Post
I do not want to see a world without unions, I think it would be a very scary place. Unions do have their place in society.
Actually, I'd settle for a world without CUPE. Very few unions are as F#@%ed up as CUPE.
Old 01-10-2011 at 02:49 PM   #24
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
With your same concept you should never get a permanent job because the company probably wants to save money by hiring part time workers and university co-op students.

No that does not scare me because there is need to full time engineers because if they fu/ck up the fault goes to the engineer and not the company whereas if they hire students the fault is going to be on the company because a student doesn't have his P. Eng yet.
I am talking about jobs that even a chimp can do. Not anyone can do engineering.

BEFORE YOU TRY TO MAKE A STUPID POINT GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

So yeah I am not worried about that. There is always need for engineers in society.
Old 01-10-2011 at 02:54 PM   #25
burforbt

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Unions have a duty to protect the interests of their effective members. The problem begins when a union protects the bottom of the barrel (just ask teachers, and educational assistants). To better a profession or work environment you can't let your worst employees hide behind a union, in order to protect their job. No accountability, with security is a inefficient construct.
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:11 PM   #26
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:

And I have worked 2 jobs in the summer and I didn't complain one bit because I chose to do that. In this world if you want to make money you should be willing to do anything and not try to get more for less, especially if you do not deserve it.

In engineering they teach you that your first priority of your job is to serve the public.
There are still many food outlets open on campus! Walk over to Commons, go to the Bistro, get a hotdog, go to the hospital caf (which actually has good food, btw)! There are LOTS of options. Sorry you can't get your pizza anymore, but I think you can live without it for a little bit until this is settled! This isn't about their CAREER, this is about them getting what they deserve and what is fair, what was originally agreed upon when they first got ther jobs! Clearly, the university is the one being selfish here, not the workers. If they give them what they want or at least COMPROMISE, then we'll get more food options back.
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:15 PM   #27
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
If they give them what they want or at least COMPROMISE, then we'll get more food options back.

You just said it yourself "....give them what they want". Unfortunately life is not about what you want, its about what you deserve.

Last edited by jajas : 01-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.

aya017, syan9184 like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 03:26 PM   #28
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
You just said it yourself "....give them what they want". Unfortunately life is not what about you want its about what you deserve.
amen

And on a side note for all you union lovers out there. You believe they should fight for their cause. Should they still fight for their cause and slow the average joe as he is passing the university since their is so much traffic. Should this average joe have to spend the extra in fuel? He does not belong in this fight. SHould an ambulance that has to get down cootes be stalled an extra minute to get by the traffic at cootes. The man having a medical problem in dundurn is not part of the fight.

If you want to strike FINE but do it in front of all the employer's buildings. DO NOT ******* CAUSE TRAFFIC ON THE MAIN ROADS. You are affecting the entire community with your fight, most of these people do not belong nor do they care for your fight.

That is all.

Old 01-10-2011 at 03:42 PM   #29
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I just have a hard time sympathizing.
The TAs made over $22 an hour. Food workers make between $15-$21 an hour.
I understand both strikes are about benefits/contracts and things like that.. but sometimes, I wish people would look at the work they are doing and look at what they're getting paid. There are people in "regular" Tim Horton's and Pizza Pizza making minimum wage and next to no benefits - I bet they would love to be working at Mac.

The only strike (threat) I supported was the custodial strike, and Mac gave in to their requests because what they wanted was reasonable. I don't necessarily agree with what the TAs and food workers are striking for.

On a semi-side note: I hate that the picketers are making so many people idle their cars. It's such a waste of gas and really bad for the environment.
Old 01-10-2011 at 04:02 PM   #30
collinbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I just have a hard time sympathizing.
The TAs made over $22 an hour.
Undergrad TAs make 22. Grade TAs make 39.40.