MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A music major, imagine that. (: jessicalynn Introduce Yourself 24 08-28-2010 05:51 PM
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Is Christianity Good for the World? Theophilus General Discussion 48 03-30-2010 05:39 PM
Imagine More ... Music! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 02-01-2010 02:02 PM
Unions: Your thoughts Taunton General Discussion 122 07-27-2009 11:02 PM

Imagine a World without Unions :)

Old 01-10-2011 at 06:53 PM   #46
persaurk

Liked: 0 Times

It's just frustrating that we have to stop at Main and Emerson and walk all across campus in the middle of winter, when it's like -18 outside. Plus, for people with student cards, they're essentially forced to be eating pitas and bistro all day and night. I understand these people have a right to strike, but we're essentially pawns in a game.

They are counting on us to have a fit and complain, which forces the school to do what they want. So...we in the end have to go through this to get a point across....
Old 01-10-2011 at 06:57 PM   #47
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Whats to stop a car from hopping the curb and just driving in to park? Is there a law against this?

Either way, if one of the people at the entrance tries to engage me, I'll tell him off.
Right after the closed gate on cootes or after the stoplight are two curbs low enough for you to get over. I'm guessing you'd get in trouble if someone saw you though nobody seemed to care when I did it. Those shortcuts will save you a good half hour at least, though of course you're doing it at your own risk.

jordko likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 07:01 PM   #48
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman. View Post
Right after the closed gate on cootes or after the stoplight are two curbs low enough for you to get over. I'm guessing you'd get in trouble if someone saw you though nobody seemed to care when I did it. Those shortcuts will save you a good half hour at least, though of course you're doing it at your own risk.
Oh, I see what you mean.. too bad most people are not clever enough and instead sit in the stupid line all day long LOL
Old 01-10-2011 at 07:54 PM   #49
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Park underground at the hospital, take the elevators up to the 2nd floor, walk down the yellow stairs and voila! Out of the building, onward to the university you go.
Old 01-10-2011 at 08:29 PM   #50
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

How much does it cost to park underground at the hospital?
Old 01-10-2011 at 08:37 PM   #51
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

unions help protect people from unfairness. it is a double edged sword
Old 01-10-2011
jajas
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:38 PM   #52
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Do they still get paid when they are on strike?
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:47 PM   #53
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
Once you give these fu/cker's a little bit of leeway they will use it against you. That is why you don't let unions team up. If you want to to know what unfairness on the job site is go work in some other country. I worked in a country where the minimum wage is $6 and the cost of living is WAYYYY higher than that of Canada. So do not complain about working in Canada. As far as my work experience in Canada is considered I cannot complain because in the past 3 years the minimum wage went from $8 to $10.25. So please stop complaining and no they have no reason to strike.
I always find commentary like this to be so ridiculous.

Just because things are worse elsewhere doesn't mean people cannot find their situation unfair also.

For example there are many people starving and dying in Africa which is unfair and horrible, but that doesn't mean someone living in poor conditions here cannot complain about it or think its a bad situation. There are levels of unfairness and crappiness.

$10.25 might be fine for some student minimum wage job and it may be a lot better than in other countries but imagine how difficult it is to support a family on $10.25. If you read any of the information on the reasons behind the strike you'd realize its been noted that a large percentage of the hospitality workers are single mothers. You really expect single mothers to support themselves and their kid on $10.25 an hour? Not to mention the lack of job security McMaster is wanting them to agree to.

This strike sucks for the students since we're not the ones trying to screw over the Hospitality workers but yet we're the ones who have to put up with the consequences of the strike. However its completely ridiculous to say they have no reason to strike.

Please, be my guest, take a job, agree to certain terms regarding pay level, job security and benefits and then let your employer take it all away and don't say a word about it. While you're at it throw in a good 20 years of service to your employer first and maybe have a couple of kids to support. No striking for you, there's no problems with that picture at all. Enjoy your life.

Old 01-10-2011 at 09:56 PM   #54
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I always find commentary like this to be so ridiculous.

Just because things are worse elsewhere doesn't mean people cannot find their situation unfair also.

For example there are many people starving and dying in Africa which is unfair and horrible, but that doesn't mean someone living in poor conditions here cannot complain about it or think its a bad situation. There are levels of unfairness and crappiness.

$10.25 might be fine for some student minimum wage job and it may be a lot better than in other countries but imagine how difficult it is to support a family on $10.25. If you read any of the information on the reasons behind the strike you'd realize its been noted that a large percentage of the hospitality workers are single mothers. You really expect single mothers to support themselves and their kid on $10.25 an hour? Not to mention the lack of job security McMaster is wanting them to agree to.

This strike sucks for the students since we're not the ones trying to screw over the Hospitality workers but yet we're the ones who have to put up with the consequences of the strike. However its completely ridiculous to say they have no reason to strike.

Please, be my guest, take a job, agree to certain terms regarding pay level, job security and benefits and then let your employer take it all away and don't say a word about it. While you're at it throw in a good 20 years of service to your employer first and maybe have a couple of kids to support. No striking for you, there's no problems with that picture at all. Enjoy your life.
Read my signature hun, I have yet to come across an engineer who went on strike. Read my earlier posts, if these people do not like their job terms leave. Which part of LEAVE did you not understand.

Your comparison of a developed country with a third world country does not work. I compared Malta with Canada where the former is a somewhat developed country.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:59 PM   #55
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Read my signature hun, I have yet to come across an engineer who went on strike. Read my earlier posts if these people do not like their job terms leave. Which part of LEAVE did you not understand.

Your comparison of a developed country with a third world country does not work. I compared Malta with Canada where the former is a somewhat developed country.
My God, imagine if we directed all out griping and pissing at something other than ourselves...you know, like a union or something...

Or Epic Bread Man... whatevs
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:02 PM   #56
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I keep reading the thread title as "Imagine a World without Unicorns" now... wth
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:07 PM   #57
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Stop having such a hardon for engineering. It's actually embarrassing.

DannyV says thanks to eullwm for this post.

alh24, J-Met, RTinkess31, RyanC, Toast like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 10:33 PM   #58
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Read my signature hun, I have yet to come across an engineer who went on strike. Read my earlier posts, if these people do not like their job terms leave. Which part of LEAVE did you not understand.

I have two words for your engineering/strike comment: General Motors.

Kthx.