MUSS to GMail? TheLegacy Computers & Tech 6 02-25-2011 03:02 PM
problems with gmail lorend General Discussion 12 09-14-2009 11:27 AM

IMAP Functionality for Mac Gmail

Old 04-13-2012 at 02:33 PM   #1
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

IMAP Functionality for Mac Gmail
I know there's been a few threads about this, and they just sent out an email to everyone.
NOTE- That this will start on April 16th!
Here are the instructions:
You can now read your McMaster email powered by Google on your smartphone or email client!!!

The basic instructions for setup of your email client or telephone is shown below.

Prior to your setting up IMAP or POP, there are two things that must be addressed first in order to ensure a smooth and problem free set- up on your phone or email client.

1-Log into the account, open the settings and click on Forwarding and IMAP/POP. Click on the link to enable IMAP functionality and then save.
2-Disable multiple account log in with your personal gmail. Additional information is available at the Google support web site.

The settings for the email client or phone are shown below.

Account type: IMAP
Incoming server: mcmasterimap.mcmaster .ca
Outgoing server: mcmastersmtp.mcmaster .ca
SSL encryption for both incoming and outgoing servers turned on.
Incoming port 993
Outgoing port 465
Outgoing server to require authentication using the same credentials as the incoming server.

You may set this up on your phone now, however support for this service will commence on Monday, April 16, 2012.
Should you experience any problems, you can still access your mail through the https://studentmail.mcmaster. ca web interface.

ArfuzeToLose, ellerytc all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 04-13-2012 at 02:41 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

The only issue I had during the pilot project was that my password started with a symbol, which then got screwed up on its way to get authenticated. This also goes for numbers. So if you've seem to have everything else right and it doesn't work, you might need to change your password.
Old 04-13-2012 at 03:09 PM   #3
matt662

Liked: 0 Times

The problem i found with imap during the pilot is that I needed to disable, then re-enable imap under the email settings on the actual web page. Also under the email it says to disable multiple account sign ins. I don't know why they would say that, but imap works fine with multiple sign ins for me.
Old 04-13-2012 at 03:11 PM   #4
kelvin

This actually works NOW if you configure your phone.

However SUPPORT for the service starts on the 16th
Old 04-13-2012 at 03:17 PM   #5
kelvin

Okay I lied - I can receive emails but not send any from my iphone

~*Sara*~ says thanks to kelvin for this post.
Old 04-13-2012 at 04:15 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt662 View Post
The problem i found with imap during the pilot is that I needed to disable, then re-enable imap under the email settings on the actual web page. Also under the email it says to disable multiple account sign ins. I don't know why they would say that, but imap works fine with multiple sign ins for me.
I think many issues during the pilot lead to the discovery that multiple-sign ins was the cause for those problems. It's very interesting its working for you.
Old 04-13-2012 at 04:25 PM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Yup it already works

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
Okay I lied - I can receive emails but not send any from my iphone
Did you make sure to include autentication for your outgoing server as well?

kelvin says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 04-13-2012 at 04:45 PM   #8
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

You could have also just set up an alias with an existing gmail account and forward your emails to your gmail account. That way you receive them in regular gmail and have the ability to send as your mcmaster email from regular gmail as well
Old 04-13-2012 at 06:03 PM   #9
kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Yup it already works

Did you make sure to include autentication for your outgoing server as well?

Thanks - it works now!
Old 04-13-2012 at 10:06 PM   #10
Skittles

Liked: 2 Times

I've disabled forwarding messages from my mcmaster account, but messages sent to it are still ending up in my bell.net address, and are passing right through my mcmaster gmail account. any ideas as to why this would be?

Edit: I probably just have to change my settings in MUGSI

Last edited by Skittles : 04-13-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2012 at 11:00 PM   #11
ellerytc

Liked: 25 Times

...can i assume that this means April 16th at 12:00am?
Old 04-15-2012 at 11:23 PM   #12
ellerytc

Liked: 25 Times

alright, IMAP's working guys
Old 04-16-2012 at 04:00 PM   #13
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

Is anyone having problems setting it up IMAP in terms of the signing in part? When I put in my [email protected] then my password it keeps telling me it's incorrect when ... it's not lol. I'm using the google app on my android; are we not able to use that?
Old 04-16-2012 at 04:23 PM   #14
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cheng View Post
Is anyone having problems setting it up IMAP in terms of the signing in part? When I put in my [email protected] then my password it keeps telling me it's incorrect when ... it's not lol. I'm using the google app on my android; are we not able to use that?
I think there is something wrong on their end, wait a couple hours and try again.

It was working this morning and now I keep getting a message saying incorrect password. Wait for now

N.Cheng says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 04-16-2012 at 06:54 PM   #15
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cheng View Post
Don't use the gmail app on your phones, it won't work. You need to use the regular email app, where you have to input all the server settings.