MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a female who can improve my swimming skills epikness Athletics & Recreation 0 10-28-2014 02:05 PM
Open source collaborative project to improve SOLAR cheemster Academics 3 06-21-2014 10:45 PM
Let us know how we can improve MacInsiders! (Take this 3 question survey) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-31-2013 10:55 PM
Verbal & Writing Skills -Ish- Volunteering Opportunities 12 08-13-2012 07:57 PM

How to improve writing skills?

Old 06-17-2016 at 05:39 PM   #1
stars

Liked: 4 Times

How to improve writing skills?
Hey guys, I feel my writing skill is really inadequate to meet university standard, how do I improve my writing skill?
Old 06-17-2016 at 05:54 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Internet arguing. I'm serious. Post a controversial comment on YouTube, like saying that the new Star Wars is feminist garbage, or something, and you will get like 10 angry posts (every day), each over one paragraph long. That's exactly what you do to practice your English skills, you write 10 replies, one for each angry comment thrown toward you, each at least one paragraph long. You have to do it as fast as possible too, because if you take too long, you lose value to your point as it will seem it took you a while to come up with a response (meaning you are not 100% behind your own ideas). That will teach you think creatively and improvise. You also have to watch your grammar, a single mistake will make you lose any value to your point (trust me, the grammar nazis will tear you to shreds if you confuse your and you're).

You can also try creative writing, and hire someone to proofread your work... but arguing with kids on the internet is cheaper.
Old 06-17-2016 at 06:59 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

There are free courses online you can take (such as through Coursera). You should find someone to give you feedback on your writing, and also read a lot (especially novels). If you struggle with the language itself (if English is not your first language), you should take an ESL course.
Old 06-22-2016 at 10:25 AM   #4
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Internet arguing. I'm serious.
That used to be true. But I find the quality of internet flaming as gone down tremendously in the past 25 years. Used to be you could post something on talk.politics.liberta rian and get flamed by economics professor Gordon Tullock from George Mason U.; nowadays it's most likely some idiot 12-year-old. But yeah, in all seriousness, good writing requires practice, practice, practice.