MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inception - Time (listen and you can study better) Juve General Discussion 51 11-16-2010 10:31 PM
Inception any good? habinsle General Discussion 2 09-07-2010 11:38 AM
Inception. Entropy Movies & Television 98 08-19-2010 03:20 PM
movie theatres in hamilton... movie club? macculkin General Discussion 7 06-27-2009 09:23 PM
Psst... facebook secret Chad General Discussion 12 05-26-2008 12:38 AM

Inception (movie) Secret

Old 11-03-2010 at 11:48 PM   #1
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

Inception (movie) Secret
If you've watched the movie Inception, you'll know that the totem is what distinguish btw the reality and the dream.

As we've seen, Leonardo spins the top, so we think that his totem is the top.
But if you look closely, whenever he is in reality, he is NOT wearing his wedding ring, but whenever he is in a dream, he wears the ring.

The spinning top was his wife's totem.. so I think this is interesting to consider
Old 11-04-2010 at 12:19 AM   #2
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

A) The spinning top can work as his totem because his wife is dead. She cannot make up a dream where the top exhibits real-world behaviour because she doesn't exist. His wife's totem is fine.

B) The protagonist (Cobbs) goes through a significant change in the story like most protagonists do. He ACCEPTS that his wife is dead and not real in the limbo world. This would make his subconcious accept this fact and allow him to not wear a ring in his dreams anymore.

The last part of the movie is intentionally ambiguous...which is amazing. But in my own personal opinion I think everything worked out as planned. Did you see how the heir of the company noticed Cobbs and almost seemed to recognize him? Don't forget he introduced himself as "Mr. Charles" in the 2nd and 3rd layer of the dream!
Old 11-04-2010 at 04:08 PM   #3
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

or you could not be a tard

slx4 likes this.
Old 11-04-2010 at 04:42 PM   #4
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Actor Michael Caine says in an interview that the totem drops. I'm willing to trust one of the actors on the ending, rather than speculation.
Old 11-04-2010 at 05:12 PM   #5
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Mindblowing.
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:00 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Actor Michael Caine says in an interview that the totem drops. I'm willing to trust one of the actors on the ending, rather than speculation.
Well if it drops, thats not the way it ended in the movie. Maybe it dropped during the filming... due to this thing in called gravity.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:04 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Well if it drops, thats not the way it ended in the movie. Maybe it dropped during the filming... due to this thing in called gravity.
Sure the film cuts out but you can hear it drop after the screen goes black.
Old 11-04-2010 at 09:23 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

and it was toppling...
Old 11-04-2010 at 10:26 PM   #9
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post

of course the totem drops, if not it would defy the laws of physics