Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Psst... facebook secret
Psst...

Login to facebook

Then type in: http://www.new.facebook.com in your browser

They are working on a new layout that you can try out.

*this message will self destruct*
Old 05-24-2008 at 05:37 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

i don't see any destruction.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-24-2008 at 05:52 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

*boom*
Old 05-24-2008 at 06:03 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Um, no.

And apparently I'm no longer recieveing emails from Facebook. How am I supposed to know who has written on my wall? My life is overrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Haha. no.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-24-2008 at 06:31 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

go to the privacy settings and turn back on notifications? or check your spam folder and see if its being put there then filter it as non-spam
Old 05-24-2008 at 07:54 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Ya I'm not getting the messages either!!!! I liked getting them!! It made me feel special... =P

My settings are all turned on correctly..

...I really hope it doesn't stay like this. I'd constantly have to check facebook to see if anyone did write anything! lol

"Is there anything now?"
"Is there anything now?"
"Is there anything now?"
Old 05-24-2008 at 07:58 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Haha! I got rid of the emails because they were annoying. I got too many of them. But now I'm alwaysss on Facebook-- like right now. It's better than having a flooded email account!
Old 05-24-2008 at 08:25 PM   #8
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Psst...

Login to facebook

Then type in: http://www.new.facebook.com in your browser

They are working on a new layout that you can try out.

*this message will self destruct*
so what is this all about? I don't see any secret-worthy stuff
Old 05-25-2008 at 11:06 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Its a new layout for the profiles that they are working on, with tabs. Also some people are speculating that Facebook is trying to make an online operating system type of service because the new interface looks a lot like the MacOS layout (search in the right corner, dropdowns like a start menu, etc). Facebook acquired a company a while back called Parakey which had made an online OS. Basically Google and Facebook are now competing to be the ultimate online web application platform.

Personally I like the old layout a bit better, the new one seems a bit plain to me.
Old 05-25-2008 at 10:48 PM   #10
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Haha! I got rid of the emails because they were annoying. I got too many of them. But now I'm alwaysss on Facebook-- like right now. It's better than having a flooded email account!
Speaking of emails, how do you deactivate MacInsiders email notifications. I have lots of them in my email and it's getting out of hand lol.
Old 05-25-2008 at 11:10 PM   #11
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

If you have gmail, you can do what i did and apply a filter. That way, they all end up labeled and archived and won't go to your inbox where they would otherwise mix in with everything else. This way you're organized but still keep the emails! yay!!

To do this with gmail, go to settings > filters > create new filter > make the from box say "MacInsiders" > do a test search (to make sure it's selecting the right emails)> click next step > Choose your action. In this case, click "archive it" and "apply new label"..

now, whenever you get a macinsiders email, it'll just go to another seperate 'inbox' that you can get to by clicking on the label title on the left hand menu.

You can do this on hotmail too by going through a similar route. I'm not so sure about the mac email though...
Old 05-26-2008 at 12:31 AM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

When you signed up you must have turned on automatic thread email subscriptions.

Threads in a forum (such as this one) allow you to 'subscribe' via email for updates. You can see all your thread subscriptions in your account settings here.

You have a 'global' default setting for all threads that you reply to, and you may have set yours to defaultly subscribe you to any thread that you add a reply on. To alter this default setting for all new threads that you reply to go HERE and then you'll see "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and turn that to "Do not subscribe".

If you come across a thread that you really do want email updates every time there is a new reply (for example, you want to know everytime someone posts a reply to the "Psst... facebook secret" thread) then look at the top of the page under the "Similar Threads" box and you'll see a "THREAD TOOLS" dropdown you can click on. Click it, then click on the option that pops up called "Subscribe to this thread".

Old 05-26-2008 at 12:38 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I've added the answer to the HELP page.