MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Eng vs Elec Eng for II year EngStud Academics 10 06-30-2011 09:12 PM
Transfering from Software Eng to Comp Sci TylerA Academics 1 02-28-2011 09:42 AM
2nd Year Comp. Eng (and elec?) .. conflicts.. blackdragon Academics 11 08-02-2009 05:46 PM

Inquiry about comp/elec/software eng

Old 03-22-2012 at 02:48 PM   #1
kamilahkamil

Liked: 0 Times

Inquiry about comp/elec/software eng
I'd like to ask, what's the difference between computer/electrical and software engineering, like, what are their emphases and what courses are unique to each field? I read throught the course structure for each and I'm still kinda lost. And for biomedical engineering how many units of complementary electives do you get after 2nd year onwards? I read through the course structure and I understand there's only 3 units of it in 4th year, but just to make sure. I keep forgetting to ask these questions during the info sessions. -.-"
Old 03-22-2012 at 04:05 PM   #2
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

In second year, computer and electrical are essentially the same. You have circuits courses, programming and math (computer has one and electrical has two).

The math courses are the same throughout engineering so every discipline has to take at least one.

Once you get to third year, they start to diverge somewhat. Computer leads down the road of low-level programming and hardware design. Electrical leads to electromagnetics and power. Both stream still have multiple common courses though, mostly circuit stuff.

4th (or 5th if you do full year co-op / management) is where you really get to customize what you want to take in electrical. You can go fully into one type of course or spread it out, you can even make your year look a lot like a comp eng one if you want.

All in all, I don't think any courses are completely unique to one stream, just they will be required in one and a technical elective in the other.

I don't know a whole lot about software, but you can stay general or specialize in game design or embedded systems. Embedded systems will lead you to courses very similar to computer engineering.

I'm not sure if these are what you mean by course structures but, take a look at these if you haven't already:
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Software Engineering
Software Engineering (Game Design)
Software Engineering (Embedded Systems)

Andrew A likes this.
Old 03-22-2012 at 04:26 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

This page should become your friend for the next few years.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1202.html