MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
contents insurance habinsle General Discussion 0 09-07-2010 11:38 AM
Cheap Insurance? TheBrickWall Automotive & Transportation 11 08-24-2010 07:28 PM
getting car insurance cjdzl Automotive & Transportation 11 08-05-2010 01:47 PM
Auto Insurance Pay919 Automotive & Transportation 9 07-21-2010 02:23 PM
G2 insurance cjdzl Automotive & Transportation 16 07-18-2010 09:44 PM

Insurance Opt-Out 2010

What is it?
There are 2 insurances that all Full-Time Undergraduate Students (18+ Credits) are automatically registered for. Health Insurance and Dental Insurance.

What is covered?
Health (45$):
  • Prescription Drugs - Covers 80% of the actual cost of prescription drugs or medicines up to 1400$ (Oral Contraceptives Excluded)
  • AIDS Coverage - Up to 5000$ in drug treaments for HIV-Positive or AIDS infected students
  • Diabetes - Part of Prescription Drugs but additionally covers insulin (bottle and/or cartridge), syringes and pen needles, reservoirs and infusion sets for the pump. (Not included: glucometers, insulin pens, alcohol and swabs)
  • Vision Care - Covers 50% of 1 eye exam up to 50$. Reimburse 80% of the cost for 1 glasses or broken NON-diposable contacts repair up to 100$
  • Life Insurance - 5000$ life insurance benefit from sickness or accident.
  • Accidental Dismemberment - See Link At Bottom
  • Ambulance Expense Benefit - Covers 250$ for air and/or ground ambulance.
  • Repatriation Expense Benefit - Covers expense of homeward carriage of body up to 1000$
  • Dread Disease Benefit Care - Covers hospital or licensed/graduate nurse charges for diseases (see link for list of diseases). Disease must first manifest during time of coverage.
Dental (95$):
  • Basic & Preventive Services - Covers 100% of 1 cleaning and 1 unit of polishing and 1 examination and consultation for
    • Exams - Complete Oral, Recall Oral, Emergency or Specific Oral, Consultation
    • X-Rays - Full Mouth Series, Panorex, Periacipal, Bitewing, Occlusal
  • Minor Restorative Services - Covers 75% of cost of amalgam, silicate, composite, or tooth-coloured fillings and space maintainers.
  • Extractions & Oral Surgery - Covers 75% of extractions and residual root removal (2 Wisdom Teeth limit)
  • Services covered at 10% - See Link At Bottom.
  • Exclusions - See Link At Bottom.
Who can opt-out?
Full-Time Undergraduate Students who already has the above or better coverage (through work or through parents) can opt-out with the exception of Varsity Students.
Note: You can opt-out of health AND/OR dental.

When can you opt-out?

September 1st (Midnight) to October 1st (Midnight).
Note: October 1st Midnight means September 30th 11:59pm + 1 minutes
The opt-out form can be found here: http://wespeakstudent.com/microsite/?id=53

Information you need:
For each insurance you wish to opt-out of: Insurer, Policy Number and Primary Subscriber.
If you wish to have a direct deposit (as opposed to a cheque): Name of Account Holder, Transit Number, Institution ID and Account Number (Can be found on your cheques or you can ask your bank for the information).

Health Coverage: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...e/coverage.htm
Dental Coverage: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...geIncludes.htm
Health Exceptions and Limitations: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...itati ons.htm
Health Points of Interest: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...nce/points.htm

0t10, jamescw1234, JosieGutierr, Kathy2, Marlowe, nerual, sycoman, xo.monica all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Marlowe, sycoman like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-02-2010 at 08:21 PM   #2
JosieGutierr

Liked: 0 Times
This insurance only reimburses glasses repair? It won't pay a portion of new glasses? Just clarrifying, thanks!

Old 09-02-2010 at 08:25 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieGutierr View Post
This insurance only reimburses glasses repair? It won't pay a portion of new glasses? Just clarrifying, thanks!
Unfortunately no. On their website it only states what I have stated in the announcement and in the exceptions and limitations it says it doesn't cover:

Quote:
- Expenses of supplying eyeglasses or contact lenses other than as provided

Old 09-02-2010 at 09:21 PM   #4
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times
wut if ur insurance doesnt have a policy # bc they are extremely ghetto and everything is sent to them manually

Old 09-02-2010 at 09:31 PM   #5
Achangetoday

Liked: 1 Time
does 8o percent cover cost for frames and glasses for both eyes. Can we make the glasses anywhere or do we have to make at a special place.

Old 09-02-2010 at 09:52 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
wut if ur insurance doesnt have a policy # bc they are extremely ghetto and everything is sent to them manually
It should still have a policy number...for my parents' insurance, we have to send everything in manually (sucks :( ) but there is still a policy number. If you're unsure, call the insurance company to check.

Old 09-02-2010 at 10:01 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphzdesai View Post
does 8o percent cover cost for frames and glasses for both eyes. Can we make the glasses anywhere or do we have to make at a special place.
It's for repair, not for buying new frames or contacts. I believe you can get the repair down anywhere.

Old 09-02-2010 at 10:40 PM   #8
amna

if you want a check as a refund, do you have to write the name of account holder, transit number, institution id & account number?

Old 09-02-2010 at 10:43 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amna View Post
if you want a check as a refund, do you have to write the name of account holder, transit number, institution id & account number?
I mixed up topics. See Below vvvv XD

Last edited by jhan523 : 09-02-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Old 09-02-2010 at 10:44 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
No, those boxes are greyed out if you have selected 'cheque'...you can only write in them if you selected 'direct deposit'. You should get a notification when the cheques come in...I don't remember when it is, but it usually takes a while

Old 09-02-2010 at 10:56 PM   #11
amna

thanks! and also one more thing. I know that my dads plan covers health and dental insurance, but I can only find a card for the companys medical plan. So do I write the same policy number for health and dental? or does a medical plan specifically mean health plan? because maybe there is another card for dental insurance.. i just cant find it...

Old 09-02-2010 at 10:58 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
thanks! and also one more thing. I know that my dads plan covers health and dental insurance, but I can only find a card for the companys medical plan. So do I write the same policy number for health and dental? or does a medical plan specifically mean health plan? because maybe there is another card for dental insurance.. i just cant find it...
They aren't necessarily different policy numbers...Mine are the same for both health & dental

Old 09-03-2010 at 04:44 AM   #13
amna

For the insurance agency when it asks who the primary subscriber is, if the company subscribing to it has a group plan with the insurance agency, do you write the name of employee or the company subcribing to it (aka the employer providing the insurance)

Old 09-03-2010 at 09:20 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
For the insurance agency when it asks who the primary subscriber is, if the company subscribing to it has a group plan with the insurance agency, do you write the name of employee or the company subcribing to it (aka the employer providing the insurance)
From my understanding, it would be the employee. The company isn't actually subscribing for it (at least I don't think they are), they just negotiate a group plan for their employees and it's them who subscribe to the plan.

Old 09-03-2010 at 03:43 PM   #15
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
While filling out the form i accidently pressed enter before the form was completely filled and it was submitted. I tried calling the office but no one was there. Is there anyone at Mac i can talk to to resolve this or do i have to wait for them to open up again

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search