MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone interested in a Wednesday 2 30 Lab? Chipmunk Academics 3 12-26-2012 07:25 AM
Interested in Research in Science? ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 5 10-30-2011 07:45 PM
Interested in Volunteering in Africa?! mlangille Volunteering Opportunities 5 10-11-2010 10:50 PM
Interested in horses? LBrooks Athletics & Recreation 0 09-23-2010 07:12 PM
Interested in Programming? dmzz Computers & Tech 14 08-10-2010 09:26 PM

Interested in a Hackerspace?

Old 05-21-2013 at 04:10 PM   #1
justlily

Liked: 5 Times

Interested in a Hackerspace?
I'm disappointed by the lack of hackerspaces in Hamilton (there's this one associated with mcmaster) and have been thinking of setting one up myself for a couple of years now. I want it enough, but I require the assistance of a team and enough interest to maintain the hackerspace after setup is completed. The space doesn't have to be big; I just want somewhere to make, hack, and craft, and to connect with and share ideas/projects with a crew holding similar interests. With that being said, the space will welcome computer hackers, hardware hackers, chem hackers, food hackers, multimedia hackers, etc.

This is what I propose:
  • Funding is first and foremost. I do have some personal funds I'm willing to use to invest in this project, but it's not enough. Which is why I need a reliable team who knows what they're getting into. I currently do not have a proper budget plan due to lack of information.
  • I will need help in finding a physical space; I do have an idea of what will work but my research in this area is not comprehensive. I'm more worried about interest and crew members at this point.
  • I can take care of the legal side of things, unless anyone has inside connections to make this process any bit easier (paperwork is such a chore).
  • I have a background in art and can entertain the idea of constructing a floorplan (at least until a professional cares to step in).
  • I have some equipment from my time at the art academy, but I admit the list is mediocre. (Industrial sewing machines, dremels, drills, various hand tools, pipe wrenches, plumbing equipment, key machines, locksmith tools, propane tanks, and other standard, boring tools.) We could probably build some from scratch. Changes in inventory will depend on funds.
  • I know some people; I can easily take care of any type of furniture we need.
Anyone else interested in taking on this project with me?
Of if you would be interested in becoming a member of the hackerspace once it's set up, let me know as well so that I can tally up some numbers.

Last edited by justlily : 05-26-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Mix999 likes this.
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:32 PM   #2
Mix999

Liked: 1 Time

This sounds pretty cool and a bit ambitious. Some questions to think of are who is going to look after the space making sure there is no theft/vandalism? Very interesting idea and would like to see this happen. Write me down as interested in helping out
Old 06-11-2013 at 03:39 PM   #3
ak21

Liked: 14 Times

Sounds like a good idea, won't be able to help too much since I am in the process of organizing my own association also there's another club/lab which will be established soon on campus called the 'McMaster Social Innovation Lab' they have gotten a space in Thode, and they have also received some small grants. Feel free to PM me for more information.

There are 2 main aspects to it:
1) Set up a space where Students can come and meet as well as calibrate together on projects, pretty much everyone helping everyone.
2)Have a space with professional equipment where students & Professionals can use for a small membership fee.

Feel free to PM me for more information.
Old 06-20-2013 at 01:10 AM   #4
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix999 View Post
This sounds pretty cool and a bit ambitious. Some questions to think of are who is going to look after the space making sure there is no theft/vandalism? Very interesting idea and would like to see this happen. Write me down as interested in helping out
I resolve to make this happen. I've never been one to leave a project hanging; it leaves a rather bad aftertaste.
I'm glad at least one person has shown interest alongside me, thanks for breaking the ice.

They say laziness simplicity's best, and I quite agree.
I've scouted potential spaces that would make security less of an issue for us. So far, I'm quite enamoured with an underground studio space in a somewhat discreet neighbourhood near campus. In terms of travel, a short bus ride will suffice. It's got the space, ambiance, lighting, privacy, and other tidbits, but the best part about it is the potential. The framing and interior partitions will allow us to be imaginative with the outside security.

Of course, internal theft must be considered, if we want to be realistic. I anticipate a certain level of trust between members of the group, but with that said, there'll be machinery that'll remain static merely due to their size. As for the rest, there's nothing that locks of the both the digital and physical kind (some may require additional tweeking), CCTV, GPS, and a wide array of apps won't fix (or least discourage). I've also always wanted an excuse to explore biometric systems and voice recognition technology, which I know absolutely nothing of but I could try, because, well, that's what this is all for, isn't it?

In any case, I've many things planned for the hackerspace, and I suppose since it's par for the course that I'll find myself alone with my excitement for it sometimes, it would be right for me to use this thread as make-shift agenda/log of sorts in an attempt to attract out shy members of this community. I'll be succinct though, as most of my preparations for the hackerspace is actually in a separate server where I have more administrative control. Which leads to my next post...
Old 06-20-2013 at 01:43 AM   #5
justlily

UPDATE TO PROPOSAL
06/20/13
  • have i mentioned how inconvenient bbcoding on this site is

• A friend of mine in New Zealand has offered me a generous amount of server space, which I've been tweeking, on and off, with his help. The hackerspace will have a running website once it launches, with a forum accessible only to its members. In actuality, it already exists, because all my ideas and prep work, both formal and informal, had to be documented somewhere. The information posted here will be just that - informative, but any specifics regarding the hackerspace will remain held and innocently messy on said server until a proper team is formed.

• We may want an IRC as well.

• Equipment will be divided based on floorplan, but I've now a better idea of what rooms we'll need and how space and equipment can be distributed to accommodate the various hackers.

• We need to make bi-weekly beer brewing a thing. No objections. (Unless you're a lightweight or have no preference for alcohol, in which case, I promise I won't think any less of you.)

• Also weekend science projects. Sharing of personal side-projects encouraged. (A part of the membership contract will be dedicated to intellectual property for this purpose. It's cool.)

• Funding update: I'll be working over the summer. A portion of the income will go into this project. A "Teaching and Learning" Grant is in the works already, but I'll have to verify if a hackerspace is applicable before spending more time on it. (I got too excited and was 6 pages in before I realized it may have been a monumental waste of my time. Hopefully not though. Please do not try at home.) I may also consider consulting Kickstarter sometime over the summer, if I can get around to it.

Last edited by justlily : 06-20-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2013 at 01:55 AM   #6
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak21 View Post
Sounds like a good idea, won't be able to help too much since I am in the process of organizing my own association also there's another club/lab which will be established soon on campus called the 'McMaster Social Innovation Lab' they have gotten a space in Thode, and they have also received some small grants. Feel free to PM me for more information.

There are 2 main aspects to it:
1) Set up a space where Students can come and meet as well as calibrate together on projects, pretty much everyone helping everyone.
2)Have a space with professional equipment where students & Professionals can use for a small membership fee.

Feel free to PM me for more information.
Will do. o/ I'm very interested in the process of Grant application so I'll PM you within the next few days.

In terms of space, I'd much rather rent a studio space outside campus grounds. The 2 main aspects you've listed is definitely within the ballpark I am aiming for for this hackerspace, but separation from the school promises a freedom that's too hard to pass up. There'll be an association with it of course, just not the hackerspace's only one (I hope).

Also less paperwork that way, and yeah, have I mentioned how much pain paperwork brings me?
But it's up for discussion. I'm open-minded. If the team decides on a campus space in the future, for whatever reason, I'm happy to oblige. I'll ask you for advice on that too, just in case.

Thank you for offering assistance!

Last edited by justlily : 06-20-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2013 at 02:12 AM   #7
justlily

MEMBER UPDATE
06/20/13

Since I can't regularly edit messages, I'll work on a list off-site for a better directory once (if) more members join / express their interest.

The Team so far:
1. [hsAdmin] Me. (Hi, I'm Lily. A bit late on introductions, but: most people call me Lily, but I also respond to L, Lils, Lilers, Lilia, Lili, and Dude. I personally recommend the first and last.)
2. [Web Admin/Tech Support] Ash.
Users here who have expressed interest in the Hackerspace: (Potential Space/Team members?)
1. Mix999