MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Troubles... britb General Discussion 14 10-19-2010 08:20 AM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM
Internet in Res Chad General Discussion 26 08-18-2007 03:25 PM

Internet Cap

Old 11-12-2008 at 11:53 AM   #16
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

The best is when you call to buy and they tell you the speed is 128 kiloBYTES. I always try to get them to say it and put it on paper. 128 kiloBYTES.

Eventually they change their tune to the truer kiloBITS.
Old 11-20-2008 at 11:14 PM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Cogeco doesn't throttle download from what I can tell. Upload is throttled I think though, but only sometimes. At least they aren't a bunch of douches like Bell that throttles everybody including ISPs buying bandwidth off of them...
Old 11-21-2008 at 06:47 AM   #18
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

i have bell at home and we've got 60gb bandwidth, my family rarely gets close to that number (unless my brother is home downloading). And we do not get throllted at all. However here at mac the internet is horrible. Sometimes its high speed but most of the time it is a slow as dial-up lite. You pay a fortune for tution and they skimp out on internet speed.
Old 11-21-2008 at 07:53 AM   #19
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Cogeco doesn't throttle download from what I can tell. Upload is throttled I think though, but only sometimes. At least they aren't a bunch of douches like Bell that throttles everybody including ISPs buying bandwidth off of them...
They don't throttle but they cap, so they might as well be throttling.
Old 11-21-2008 at 09:27 AM   #20
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Ya, that's true. A 100 GB cap with a 16 Mb/s connection is absolutely retarded. Anyone that likes downloading should look into TekSavvy. That's what I have at home, and they are the only company that seems to support net neutrality and torrents. They have a 200 GB cap with a 5 Mb/s connection that costs less than half of Cogeco's service. I've went over the cap by 60 GB and pulled a whole 260 GB in one month, and they didn't charge me for the overages.

Best internet company evar.
Old 11-21-2008 at 09:29 AM   #21
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Yes, because they average the 200GB over 2 months. So if you exceed 400GB in 2 months then you're charged.

And my findings on Cogeco are if you queue up 40GB or so, it only counts as half or less on their bw counter.
Old 11-21-2008 at 09:51 AM   #22
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Ya, that's true. A 100 GB cap with a 16 Mb/s connection is absolutely retarded. Anyone that likes downloading should look into TekSavvy. That's what I have at home, and they are the only company that seems to support net neutrality and torrents. They have a 200 GB cap with a 5 Mb/s connection that costs less than half of Cogeco's service. I've went over the cap by 60 GB and pulled a whole 260 GB in one month, and they didn't charge me for the overages.

My student house has a 60GB cap (we found out the hard way by being disconnected for "over use"). Teksavvy's plans are great because they're reasonable.

Hell Canada and Cogeco don't (want to) understand that the internet is meant to be free both in terms of $ and content. I'm not saying they don't deserve remuneration for laying down the cable for connections but I wish that was the only thing they were charging us for.

And quite frankly, Cogeco's cable internet service has been about $40 / month for like 10 years now. Getting that much money from their customers each month, you'd think they would have upgraded the infrastructure so they wouldn't have to cap connections.
Old 11-21-2008 at 09:53 AM   #23
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster View Post
And my findings on Cogeco are if you queue up 40GB or so, it only counts as half or less on their bw counter.
Could you say that again, I don't quite understand what you mean.
Old 11-21-2008 at 12:26 PM   #24
Chris L

Quote:

That sounds nice. I just checked out their website and for $30/month you get 5mb/s and a 200GB cap. I have Cogeco Lite (640 Kbps/150 Kbps) with a 10 Gb cap a month and it costs the exact same! I think I'm getting screwed here. Also, how much does the modem cost? Or is it included in the monthly fee?

Last edited by Chris L : 11-21-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2008 at 12:47 PM   #25
gregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Could you say that again, I don't quite understand what you mean.
My findings have been that if I download, say 30-50GB all in one go overnight, it counts as less than half of that on their official counter.
Old 11-21-2008 at 12:49 PM   #26
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
That sounds nice. I just checked out their website and for $30/month you get 5mb/s and a 200GB cap. I have Cogeco Lite (640 Kbps/150 Kbps) with a 10 Gb cap a month and it costs the exact same! I think I'm getting screwed here. Also, how much does the modem cost? Or is it included in the monthly fee?
The modem is about $150 dollars if you get it from TekSavvy. I think you can use any normal DSL modem though - I just bought it from them since I couldn't reuse the cable modem from the rogers service I was ditching.

Rogers got ridiculous. Ever since 2005, they started focusing on buying new equipment from that douche bag company cisco to specifically block encrypted P2P packets going through their network. They probably could have just spent that money on upgrading the friggin infrastructure....
Old 11-21-2008 at 12:51 PM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
My findings have been that if I download, say 30-50GB all in one go overnight, it counts as less than half of that on their official counter.
Be careful about that. Sometimes the shitty bandwidth counter your shown gets screwed up, while the company has the real bandwidth recorded.
Old 11-21-2008 at 01:08 PM   #28
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
I was about to say the same thing. It may be that it's just not updating. But hey if you're getting away with it, cool beans
Old 11-22-2008 at 05:03 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
30GB per day.
I don't know if Japan's internet is really as good as it is claimed to be. I was there for a week a few years ago because my dad needed to go there for business or something. The thing about Japan's internet is that it is really good - in Japan. If you try to access anything outside Japan, the speed is almost as bad as dial-up. That's why you never notice yourself leaching off of computers in Japan when you check your seeders on a Torrent :p. So if you go there and you don't absolutely love anime - you'll pretty much go insane.

All the fast seeders are always in the Netherlands and the eastern European countries. Maybe those are the places to go :p