MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
McMaster via the Internet Alchemist11 General Discussion 5 08-25-2009 04:43 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM

internet at mcmaster

Old 11-29-2010 at 11:02 PM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Just like the beginning of the year, more students on campus cause majority of people attend last week of classes
Old 11-30-2010 at 12:06 AM   #17
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Commander is right guys. I looked over the undergrad tuition breakdown and there is no money from your tuition that goes to internet services. Quite frankly I find they do a pretty good job. Only 1 internet outage that I've been aware of has occurred thus far, and it was dealt with pretty quickly. My dorm internet is almost always super fast too. I can't really comment on the wi-fi though, but it only logical your wi-fi isn't super-fast. The wi-fi is for academic purposes only. You don't need MiB/S to download your lecture powerpoint or email a .doc to your lab partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Mac dosent have a means of controlling what students do on the internet, which they should. There are plenty of people massing their torrents.
Not necessarily true. When the total internet traffic is high enough they do enact a bandwidth cap. I hit it once @ roughly 4 GB downloaded. They throttled me to sub-dial-up speeds. It took 2 minutes to load avenue. However my roommate still had super fast speeds.
Old 11-30-2010
Juve
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-30-2010 at 02:21 AM   #18
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

wow i don't think they actually enforce the cap though :S
Old 11-30-2010 at 02:30 AM   #19
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Hmm maybe i'm not being effected in the same ways that everyone else is. Apart from the day that the whole campus' internet went down, i have to say that the internet on campus has been flawless and damn fast(8mb/s dl rates are not poor)
Old 11-30-2010 at 04:32 AM   #20
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

My friends at UofT never had their campus internet down yet...we've had like two outages now? Still, it beats my shitty student house internet. /Sigh.
Old 11-30-2010 at 07:18 AM   #21
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
My friends at UofT never had their campus internet down yet...we've had like two outages now? Still, it beats my shitty student house internet. /Sigh.
We have 16mb/s Internet at my student house which is faster than you usually get on campus, you just need to find a house with people willing to pay for it
Old 11-30-2010 at 09:22 AM   #22
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
wow i don't think they actually enforce the cap though :S
They only seem to enforce it when the traffic is high and thus when you are actually slowing the internet down with your excessive downloading, which seems fair to me.
Old 11-30-2010 at 10:14 AM   #23
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

If anyone's seen the film Cube, this whole discussion about hitting the bandwidth cap and being throttled and whatnot for some reason made me think of the slow savant guy..

Astro...nomical?

Old 11-30-2010 at 10:28 AM   #24
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Not necessarily true. When the total internet traffic is high enough they do enact a bandwidth cap. I hit it once @ roughly 4 GB downloaded. They throttled me to sub-dial-up speeds. It took 2 minutes to load avenue. However my roommate still had super fast speeds.
Quote:
They only seem to enforce it when the traffic is high and thus when you are actually slowing the internet down with your excessive downloading, which seems fair to me.
I agree they have cap but more should be done. They are giving us a 4GB bandwidth, which is not meant to download games, movies etc. People who leave their torrents running while doing their work is doubling their stress on the network, no matter what bandwidth restrictions are put on them.

Other colleges and Universities, actually have port restrictions which make it very hard for someone to use it other than for academic reasons. Only way they can access other ports is if a request is put in.

I understand that Mac is a fairly big school to do that for and it would be hard, but it would deff help. In my personal opinion, the Internet has been for me thus far, I can deal with slow speeds once in awhile. It's not like it's happening every day.

Last edited by Crzyrio : 11-30-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2010 at 11:02 AM   #25
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

yeahh and with dc++
downloading can be brought to a minimum
Old 11-30-2010 at 02:10 PM   #26
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
We have 16mb/s Internet at my student house which is faster than you usually get on campus, you just need to find a house with people willing to pay for it
Considering that I live with 7 other people, I think we really need to upgrade our internet. I'm pretty sure we're all willing to pay more for faster internet. It's just that our landlord takes care of the internet stuff and I don't know what to do about it. We told our landlord it was too slow and got ignored. Erm, who's your provider?
Old 11-30-2010 at 04:02 PM   #27
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Considering that I live with 7 other people, I think we really need to upgrade our internet. I'm pretty sure we're all willing to pay more for faster internet. It's just that our landlord takes care of the internet stuff and I don't know what to do about it. We told our landlord it was too slow and got ignored. Erm, who's your provider?
We have the Cogeco Standard Business package, it's $9/month/person (it's slit over 10 people), 16mb/s, and has a 200GB bandwidth cap. If you don't have any heavy downloaders in the house the highspeed speed standard pack is $42/month, 14mb/s, and has a 60GB Bandwidth cap.

I'm not sure if Teksavvy has Cable connections here yet, but if they do you can basically get my business package (~16mb/s, 200GB) for half the price.

Desda says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 11-30-2010 at 07:15 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Mcmaster gets the money from donations. That's how they bought the things.

Tuition actually pays for your courses. Only a small percentage is used by the University to make your life better and Internet is excluded from that.
I'm a Mac alumni (graduated in June, currently doing a second degree), and I've made a few donations since I graduated. So I don't see why I can't complain ..?
Old 11-30-2010 at 07:17 PM   #29
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Haha, kind of in the same situation myself.
I have 7 other roomates and our internet can get really slow. Although one big difference is our landlord actually listens...