MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal plans jdia General Discussion 3 11-06-2009 10:26 PM
OSAP and Payment Plans! hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-14-2009 11:35 AM
payment plans on solar, need help oDianao First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-13-2009 11:03 PM
Meal Plans katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2008 11:25 PM
Meal Plans J-Met First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2008 10:55 AM

Internet Plans

Old 07-31-2009 at 01:48 AM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You actually need to get the dry loop service, which basically means they partially activate your phone line (just enough to send some internets over, but no voice). I believe it's about $10 a month for a dry loop.
Yeah, but I meant that you don't need to get a phone plan from another company. I'm certain that Teksavvy (or however you spell it) does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Fortunately all the great downloads from DC++ didn't count toward your 2 GB and they were blazing fast.

Not living in residence this year momentary depression. Me wants DC++.
It's always good to know friends living in residence ^-^
Old 07-31-2009 at 02:22 AM   #17
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I miss DC++ Downloading too...

=/
Old 07-31-2009 at 02:25 AM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, but I meant that you don't need to get a phone plan from another company. I'm certain that Teksavvy (or however you spell it) does it.
Yup. Back in the day when I first got TekSavvy (May 2007) you had to call bell to get it hooked up, and there was a ridiculous fee...

I'm glad to see that TekSavvy has so much support. Maybe one day they'll be able to set up their own infrastructure, and we'll truly no longer by tied down by Bell
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:32 AM   #19
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

I'm looking into switching from Sympatico to TekSavvy, mainly because of the cost difference. Sympatico is charging me like $55 a month for unlimited bandwidth (and I only get that because it was part of the contract when I first signed up).

I'm just wondering... will TekSavvy will be any faster than Sympatico? I heard they get their service from Bell, so it's capped through Bell, but right now, I'm lucky to get above 10kb/s on torrents, and can't play Xbox live because my connection is so bad.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:27 PM   #20
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Teksavvy uses bell lines so they too are throttled, but there is no throttling after 2am so just leave your downloads on overnight. Your Xbox live shouldn't be affected by throttlng
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:30 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
I'm looking into switching from Sympatico to TekSavvy, mainly because of the cost difference. Sympatico is charging me like $55 a month for unlimited bandwidth (and I only get that because it was part of the contract when I first signed up).

I'm just wondering... will TekSavvy will be any faster than Sympatico? I heard they get their service from Bell, so it's capped through Bell, but right now, I'm lucky to get above 10kb/s on torrents, and can't play Xbox live because my connection is so bad.
Wait, there is Sympatico in Hamilton? I thought it was just normal Bell...
Old 07-31-2009 at 09:14 PM   #22
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Im switching to Teksavvy in a few days hopefully. Been delaying it for a while lol. Anyways I'm on Cogeco right now and the bandwidth caps are killing me. Cogeco has awesome reliability and speeds (I'm on LITE Plus which is 3 Mbps but Im actually getting close to 7.5 Mbps hehe) but they need to rethink about their caps. Their highest service available 'Ultimate' is 50 Mbps and ONLY 150GB cap which is rediculous and overchage is ~$2/GB!

Teksavvy on the otherhand is 5Mbps with a 200GB cap (VERY hard to go over unless your a downloading fiend lol) and $0.25 overcharge per GB! You could also combine lines to get higher speeds. Another thing to consider before switching to Teksavvy is that sometimes you will not achieve 5Mbps as its advertised since it depends on the quality of your lines. You can easily check this by going to the link I've posted in a previous thread but I'll put it here too and telling them the area or phone number you want internet service. Heres the link http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect keep in mind this is a locked forum and is their direct forum to Teksavvy reps and sometimes the owners will pop in too which is kinda cool.
Good luck!

Last edited by Colin : 07-31-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:56 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

So, I'm most likely going with Teksavvy. I just wanted to know what a Band Rate is.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:59 PM   #24
syaseen
Elite Member

I believe its the cost associated with using dry line DSL connections.
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:12 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
I believe its the cost associated with using dry line DSL connections.
But what are the differences in rates and what are the factors for the different rates?
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:21 PM   #26
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
But what are the differences in rates and what are the factors for the different rates?
I not sure exactly, but I believe the bands are decided by where you live. So you dont choose the band its assigned to you and you pay accordingly. Best thing to do would be to call Teksavvy and ask customer service is very helpful.
Old 08-11-2009 at 11:26 PM   #27
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

look it up on Google.
You probably don't need Dry Loop.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:45 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
look it up on Google.
You probably don't need Dry Loop.
I thought you need Dry Loop if you don't have an active phone line? As in my house will not have phones (but will still have the phone wires physically there).
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:46 AM   #29
syaseen
Elite Member

You're right dry loop is needed if there isn't an active line.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:48 AM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, I was planning to call to ask about band rates. I'm calling tomorrow but was asking in case someone already knew.