MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
internet service providers bowlerman13 Computers & Tech 31 10-30-2010 06:05 AM
Internet Service Providers Deegs14 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 35 08-31-2010 11:14 AM
Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan? Allan Computers & Tech 47 06-07-2010 09:25 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?)

Old 07-10-2009 at 01:25 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You probably don't download torrents then :/
I do. Although how much/what are you downloading =/
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:29 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So which one is the best for torrents and daily surfing which may include some Youtubbing and all that. Rogers is out of the equation since it's not in Hamilton, the idiots haha.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:29 PM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I do. Although how much/what are you downloading =/
I've done 250 GB in one month once (was actually an accident :p). It's mostly uploading to private trackers that eats bandwidth. One of the ones I use has the most paranoid Nazi policy ever on keeping your ratio and not letting people know about the site. :s.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:54 PM   #19
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
If you go even 1 MB over Cogeco's 100 GB per month limit (That's there $70 plan); they'll charge you an addition $ 20 or so.
Not exactly true.

2 months ago i went over by 30 GB... thats a ton over my limit lol (limit is 60 i did 90)

and cogeco never charged me...

plus, even if they did, the price is $1.50/GB over, to a maximum of $30, not $20 for a Mb.

now to determine what is better...

double speed or unlimited downloading for about the same price (leaning towards teksavvy i think for the unlimited/and or 200gb)

and which torrent site is it ? or can you not say :|

i use demonoid its pretty sweet and they dont mind too much about the ratio as long as you dont go too low.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:58 PM   #20
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Internet providers in Hamilton
Hi,
I will be moving to Hamilton in the next month. I'm looking for what good internet service providers are available in Hamilton. The one I'm using right now is not available there. Anyone living off rez should have an idea.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:59 PM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Well considering that I probably use 60-70 GB a month, I'd rather go with double the speed. That means Bell. But Bell is trashed so much that I wonder about it...

My mom was sneaky and got me the lowest Bell plan last year, like 20 bucks for 2 GB bandwidth. So I always ended up paying 30 bucks anyway for going over. Funny I know.

Does anyone know what the exact rates are for Bell in terms of extra GB?
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:02 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Haha, here's a thread going on about that now.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2225 3

Basically, Rogers isn't available (I assume you're talking about that one). And Cogeco is a somewhat of a ripoff. Teksavvy offers a lot of bandwidth, but isn't as fast as Bell which doesn't offer that much bandwidth.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:02 PM   #23
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I have merged the Internet providers in Hamilton thread with the Cogeco/Tek discussion

myoozik says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:11 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
and which torrent site is it ? or can you not say :|

i use demonoid its pretty sweet and they dont mind too much about the ratio as long as you dont go too low.
The tracker I'm talking about is https://www.ftwr.in . Their website is disguised to look like a clothing website. I don't know if you've heard of them... apparently invites to their site were very desirable at one point. Luckily my username here and there are different :p

They have a lot of really good seeders, but really strict policies. They won't let any new members on the site (seriously nobody. They removed invites) and the ratio of seeders to leechers is really screwed (there are waaay more seeders than leechers, which makes it difficult to keep a good ratio since nobody ever downloads off of you).

They monitor what you do intensely too... one time they disabled my account because I logged in from Hamilton, and then logged in from home, causing my recorded IP to change. I had to talk to a moderator over IRC to get it back open, after answering a whole bunch of questions.

Aside from that, I also use IPtorrents, which is really good. I used to use Demonoid too, but too many people seem to know about it now. It find it has too many leechers and not a wide enough range of content :p

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-10-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:12 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So which one is the best for torrents and daily surfing which may include some Youtubbing and all that. Rogers is out of the equation since it's not in Hamilton, the idiots haha.
More importantly; how many people are using your connection?
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:17 PM   #26
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
More importantly; how many people are using your connection?
Two precisely. =D
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:25 PM   #27
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

What site is that? They still send invites?

Im currently using revolutiontt, midnight torrents (offers free dl periods), torrent leech.

Old 07-10-2009 at 02:34 PM   #28
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

wow lmao just went to the site, guessing you use the admin login in the lower right corner? thats awesome.

yeah demonoid closed memberships, but you can still sign up if you get an invite from someone with an account. (if anyone wants one pm me)

and yeah, getting a lot of leechers and no seeders lately.

im surprised your site has more seeders than leechers thats amazing lol.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:36 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
What site is that? They still send invites?

Im currently using revolutiontt, midnight torrents (offers free dl periods), torrent leech.
I have invites to IPTorrents.net if you want. They have a lot of stuff on free leech and a good ratio between seeders and leechers.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:48 PM   #30
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I've used Cogeco for the past 8 years, and they've been awesome, at least in comparison to the alternatives. Yeah, it's a 60 GB combined up/down limit, but I exceeded that countless times, and all they did was send emails saying I was over. Never got a single extra charge. When my roommate stiffed me on money and I fell behind on the bill, all i had to do was call them and explain the situation, and they let it slide until I could afford to pay it again. Plus having 24/7 support, from people that speak fluent English is nice when your internet dies at 3 AM.