MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Help setting up router on res Juicebox Computers & Tech 6 01-14-2010 11:42 PM
Wireless router in rez rooms fat~fat Residence & Housing 13 07-07-2009 06:09 PM

Internet Router

Old 01-25-2011 at 12:48 AM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Internet Router
Not a techy guy so any tips would be great.

I have a D-link router DIR-601 (bought it for $40) and I'm frustrated with the performance. Internet connection stops every 15 mins and it is driving me crazy. I have to disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect several times to get it back on track. I sometimes even have to restart the laptop.

Now, I live in an apartment and I think maybe someone else could be using my router but I doubt it because it is security protected. (I remember setting up the security when I first installed the router) So I don't think that would be a factor. Or am I missing something here?

Anyways, to solve this problem I'm thinking of maybe plunging more cash (~$80) to get a "better" router...but isn't sure if that would make a difference. What do you think? What would be a good solution? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jeboi7 : 01-25-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2011 at 12:50 AM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Do you have any wireless devices near your wireless router? Including wireless home phones, etc... anything that sends out a frequency?

If you do, have you tried setting a different channel for your router?
Have you tried resetting your router?
Old 01-25-2011 at 12:53 AM   #3
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Do you have any wireless devices near your wireless router? Including wireless home phones, etc... anything that sends out a frequency?

If you do, have you tried setting a different channel for your router?
Have you tried resetting your router?
Nope, no wireless devices nearby the router.

I haven't tried to reset the router tho, is it worth a shot?
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:01 AM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Well... in regards to wireless devices, do you have any at all? Any incoming calls from wireless phones can cause a disruption; including people below/above your apartment.

To do a hard reset you're going to need to go to your router and find the little reset button (usually requires a pen or something to push the button on the back). Do this for and hold for 30 seconds.
By doing this you will reset your router to the factory settings.

Once you've reset it, you're going to need to set a password again.
Go to 192.168.0.1 to find your router configuration. The password should just be admin, or password, or blank, whatever you may have set it to.

Find the wireless configuration, setup a name/encryption.

Also, find the channel it is on. And change it to a different number.

jeboi7 says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:05 AM   #5
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Also, it could be your wireless network adapter.

Go to control panel -> device manger -> wireless network adapter -> right click -> properties -> update
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:08 AM   #6
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Dip it in a pool of sulphuric acid overnight. There's probably some creepy-crawlies inside, messin up your circuits 'n' shit
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:08 AM   #7
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Well... in regards to wireless devices, do you have any at all? Any incoming calls from wireless phones can cause a disruption; including people below/above your apartment.

To do a hard reset you're going to need to go to your router and find the little reset button (usually requires a pen or something to push the button on the back). Do this for and hold for 30 seconds.
By doing this you will reset your router to the factory settings.

Once you've reset it, you're going to need to set a password again.
Go to 192.168.0.1 to find your router configuration. The password should just be admin, or password, or blank, whatever you may have set it to.

Find the wireless configuration, setup a name/encryption.

Also, find the channel it is on. And change it to a different number.
Thanks, I will try to reset it later when the sun is up!

So it seems like the router itself isn't the problem? I'm just tempted to buy a better one since I am lazy...lol

Last edited by jeboi7 : 01-25-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:11 AM   #8
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Dip it in a pool of sulphuric acid overnight. There's probably some creepy-crawlies inside, messin up your circuits 'n' shit
Nahh, it is a very clean router. I do question the performance tho.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:14 AM   #9
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Also, it could be your wireless network adapter.

Go to control panel -> device manger -> wireless network adapter -> right click -> properties -> update
I can't seem to get to the device manager part..I'm using window 7 btw.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:17 AM   #10
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Nahh, it is a very clean router. I do question the performance tho.
I was kidding...

Rakim likes this.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:23 AM   #11
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
I was kidding...
olololololol
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:25 AM   #12
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I was kidding...
I knew you were kidding, it is just hard tell when I can't see your face ya know?
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:32 AM   #13
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
I can't seem to get to the device manager part..I'm using window 7 btw.
Oh ok, then click control panel -> hardware and sound, then under devices and printers you should see device manager with a shield beside it.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:33 AM   #14
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Thanks, I will try to reset it later when the sun is up!

So it seems like the router itself isn't the problem? I'm just tempted to buy a better one since I am lazy...lol
Well, it's best to see if it is the router or not, that way you won't go out and buy a new router and end up with the same problem.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:49 AM   #15
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

If you're already considering getting a new router, then you should try a firmware upgrade first. There is a new firmware available for your router which fixes a bunch of issues related to wireless, connectivity, etc. Please note that the process of upgrading your firmware can result in a router that is "bricked" i.e. will never work again, however, it can also solve problems.

The process for updating the firmware can be found on page 73 of the PDF Of the user manual here:
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir601/M...manual_100.zip

and a direct link to the new firmware is here:
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir601/F...re_101NA .zip

As a final warning. DO NOT ATTEMPT to update your firmware via a wireless connection, get a network cable and plug your laptop directly into the router.