MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Help setting up router on res Juicebox Computers & Tech 6 01-14-2010 11:42 PM
Wireless router in rez rooms fat~fat Residence & Housing 13 07-07-2009 06:09 PM

Internet Router

Old 01-25-2011 at 12:32 PM   #16
paulelastic

Liked: 2 Times

It's your router. the DIR-601 is known to drop connections. Google the reviews.

I had a similar problem with another D-Link router -- I tried all kinds of stuff, but nothing worked. It was extremely frustrating. I thought it was the thick walls in my house that was attenuating the signal. Then I read the reviews online and discovered that a whole bunch of people were having the same problem. I thought about going with a custom firmware, but DD-WRT or Tomato don't work with most D-Link routers.

So I went out and got myself a Linksys WRT54L. Worked fine out of the box. Later on I flashed it with DD-WRT ... made it even better. My life has just gotten so much better.

I won't say D-Link routers are all bad, but they certain have a few duds in their product line, and they're usually the budget ones.
Old 01-25-2011 at 01:22 PM   #17
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulelastic View Post
It's your router. the DIR-601 is known to drop connections. Google the reviews.

I had a similar problem with another D-Link router -- I tried all kinds of stuff, but nothing worked. It was extremely frustrating. I thought it was the thick walls in my house that was attenuating the signal. Then I read the reviews online and discovered that a whole bunch of people were having the same problem. I thought about going with a custom firmware, but DD-WRT or Tomato don't work with most D-Link routers.

So I went out and got myself a Linksys WRT54L. Worked fine out of the box. Later on I flashed it with DD-WRT ... made it even better. My life has just gotten so much better.

I won't say D-Link routers are all bad, but they certain have a few duds in their product line, and they're usually the budget ones.
Thanks for your inputs. I did read reviews online but I found it biased for most routers I checked out. Some say this router is good while others say the opposite about the same router.

I've heard Linkys is a better brand. How's the one you have? Is it dramatically better than the D-link router you had before? Is it worth it spending over $80 on a router?
Old 01-25-2011 at 03:35 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

So how do I screw around with the settings on my router? I want to make it so only a few devices in my household can use it but I don't know how!

Shanks!
Old 01-25-2011 at 07:11 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I did read reviews online but I found it biased for most routers I checked out. Some say this router is good while others say the opposite about the same router.

I've heard Linkys is a better brand. How's the one you have? Is it dramatically better than the D-link router you had before? Is it worth it spending over $80 on a router?
I have a Linkys and it's terrible. I used to have a DLink at my parent's house and it was much better. It did cut in and out sometimes, but it was 100 times better than the Linkys.
I'm using it for wireless and I can't even watch shows on sites like ctv.ca, because the internet cuts out before they completely load. My boyfriend uses the wired internet in another room with the same router and it works perfectly fine though.
Linkys is definately more user friendly, but the connection itself is poor.

It could be that we just happened to get one crappy router. But I'm pissed because the guy at FutureShop told us to upgrade from DLink to Linkys because it was so much better. Lies.
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:04 PM   #20
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
It could be that we just happened to get one crappy router. But I'm pissed because the guy at FutureShop told us to upgrade from DLink to Linkys because it was so much better. Lies.
They are commissioned there. They'll tell you anything to make a sale
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:08 PM   #21
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
They are commissioned there. They'll tell you anything to make a sale
I know :(
My old Dlink did drop out sometimes, so I assumed he was telling the truth.
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:28 PM   #22
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
So how do I screw around with the settings on my router? I want to make it so only a few devices in my household can use it but I don't know how!

Shanks!
Filter by MAC Address, pretty simple. Just go into your router settings and enter the MACA of the devices you want to be able to use the network