MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
internet service providers bowlerman13 Computers & Tech 31 10-30-2010 06:05 AM
Hey Commuters - Go Service Changes sew12 Automotive & Transportation 8 08-31-2010 01:09 AM
Service Learning Cassanova Volunteering Opportunities 5 02-26-2010 11:44 AM
Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?) feonateresa General Discussion 63 07-11-2009 06:26 PM
Service Fest '09 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-10-2009 12:20 PM

Internet Service Providers

Old 08-08-2010 at 11:18 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
They will.
That sucks, the speed goes down the more people use it...
Old 08-14-2010 at 03:18 PM   #17
BryanM

Liked: 0 Times

There's also a special scam you can pull on Bell if you buy this "grab and go" internet pack from dell:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...DFugFw4eTA1 Q

Essentially Dell mails you a piece of paper with a code which you use when you call Bell. You get 4 months of free internet, no contract and free install. So if you only need service for 8 months, you could potentially only pay $30 for the piece of paper, and $60x4 months for the whole school year (Fibe 16 package). This averages out to <$35 / month + tax if you play it right. You're supposed to use it to hook up a Dell computer, but I'm sure between one of you and your friends, you can source one Dell to make it look legit on install day (I'm doing it and going to use my 8 year old Dell laptop).

when you buy this grab and go kit are you paying for the install/hookup of your bell internet?
Old 08-14-2010 at 03:23 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanM View Post
There's also a special scam you can pull on Bell if you buy this "grab and go" internet pack from dell:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...DFugFw4eTA1 Q

Essentially Dell mails you a piece of paper with a code which you use when you call Bell. You get 4 months of free internet, no contract and free install. So if you only need service for 8 months, you could potentially only pay $30 for the piece of paper, and $60x4 months for the whole school year (Fibe 16 package). This averages out to <$35 / month + tax if you play it right. You're supposed to use it to hook up a Dell computer, but I'm sure between one of you and your friends, you can source one Dell to make it look legit on install day (I'm doing it and going to use my 8 year old Dell laptop).

when you buy this grab and go kit are you paying for the install/hookup of your bell internet?
Awww, 75GBs a month :(

If you read the overview it says:

Quote:
Free wireless home networking and full installation4
There are conditions so be sure to check those out.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2010 at 04:49 PM   #19
PaganoJ

Liked: 0 Times

Bell has a 6 mbps 100 gb student package for 32.77
Old 08-30-2010 at 05:39 PM   #20
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

To anyone who has Teksavvy cable: How is it? Was the installation a good experience? I've been reading DSLReports for ages and I read some horror stories about installation.

I'm eager to make the switch from Cogeco to Teksavvy (amazing caps + price) but still a little reluctant since the setup costs are a bit much and if anything goes wrong switching back would be a pain in the ass. So I just want to get a sense of how they are before finally going through with it.
Old 08-30-2010 at 05:55 PM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

TekSavvy still does not offer TSI Cable in Cogeco-land. Only toronto is served right now (rogers-land)
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:39 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
TekSavvy still does not offer TSI Cable in Cogeco-land. Only toronto is served right now (rogers-land)
Ya, I heard from a friend who was just trying to get TekSavvy cable that they're not actually getting it in Hamilton till sometime around November.

wtf....
Old 08-30-2010 at 08:51 PM   #23
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, I heard from a friend who was just trying to get TekSavvy cable that they're not actually getting it in Hamilton till sometime around November.

wtf....
Damn that sucks. Last I heard it was supposed to be available late July early August. I was hoping to get some reviews from the Hamilton area.
Old 08-30-2010 at 09:12 PM   #24
blackdragon
Elite Member

Yea, its pushed back cause Cogeco refuses to cooperate. dam.
Old 08-30-2010 at 09:14 PM   #25
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

I emailed TekSavvy support about this a week ago (who were very nice, by the way), and not confirming anything, they expect it to be available in September.

Stay tuned to dslreports.com and the website.

On a related note, good news out of the small ISP world today: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...rnet-crtc.html
Old 08-30-2010 at 09:25 PM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
I emailed TekSavvy support about this a week ago (who were very nice, by the way), and not confirming anything, they expect it to be available in September.

Stay tuned to dslreports.com and the website.

On a related note, good news out of the small ISP world today: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...rnet-crtc.html
Very doubtful it will be out in september, but lets hope.

And the 'good news' wasnt much of a change... sure it enables better tiers, but they cant afford anything 'innovate'? dumb.
Old 08-30-2010 at 09:41 PM   #27
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Hmm...shame Tekksavvy does not have cable in Hamilton yet....looks like Im going to have to switch from Cogeco cable to Tekksavvy DSL this year.
Old 08-30-2010 at 10:25 PM   #28
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Ya I've been reading dslreports.com for quite a bit now. I like how the TSI CEO himself (R0CKY) and other reps post on there frequently giving updates and such. Pretty cool.
Old 08-30-2010 at 10:36 PM   #29
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Ya I've been reading dslreports.com for quite a bit now. I like how the TSI CEO himself (R0CKY) and other reps post on there frequently giving updates and such. Pretty cool.
Yup, thats why TSI forums are #1 or #2 on DSLReports
Old 08-30-2010 at 11:04 PM   #30
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Currently trying to decide between Teksavvy's residential DSL or Cogeco's business package. House of 5 people.

Cogeco: http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/on/en/bus.../forfaits.html
Teksavvy: http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

From what I've been told, Cogeco is far and away the better option. The 7Mbit is supposed to be more along the lines of 10Mbit, the 120GB is a soft limit (ie. they won't charge if you go over) and the house is probably already set-up for Cogeco. I've also been told that Teksavvy DSL is just re-sold Bell and that, once you go beyond 40 or 60GB, they tend to throttle. As well, the farther you are from a hub, the weaker the connection gets and I'm very unsure of whether there is a Bell/Teksavvy/whatever network hub in the area. Not to mention that the modem would have to be rented/purchased, whereas with Cogeco the rental fee is incorporated into the rates.

However, the price per month is basically half of Cogeco's Business Starter (sans modem), which makes it god damn enticing.

I'd like to hear what people have to say about both services, or even just Teksavvy--I can hear plenty about Cogeco from the friends who recommended them and said to avoid Teksavvy and Acanac Canada.