MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
internet service providers bowlerman13 Computers & Tech 31 10-30-2010 06:05 AM
Hey Commuters - Go Service Changes sew12 Automotive & Transportation 8 08-31-2010 01:09 AM
Service Learning Cassanova Volunteering Opportunities 5 02-26-2010 11:44 AM
Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?) feonateresa General Discussion 63 07-11-2009 06:26 PM
Service Fest '09 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-10-2009 12:20 PM

Internet Service Providers

Old 08-30-2010 at 11:29 PM   #31
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Currently trying to decide between Teksavvy's residential DSL or Cogeco's business package. House of 5 people.

Cogeco: http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/on/en/bus.../forfaits.html
Teksavvy: http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

From what I've been told, Cogeco is far and away the better option. The 7Mbit is supposed to be more along the lines of 10Mbit, the 120GB is a soft limit (ie. they won't charge if you go over) and the house is probably already set-up for Cogeco. I've also been told that Teksavvy DSL is just re-sold Bell and that, once you go beyond 40 or 60GB, they tend to throttle. As well, the farther you are from a hub, the weaker the connection gets and I'm very unsure of whether there is a Bell/Teksavvy/whatever network hub in the area. Not to mention that the modem would have to be rented/purchased, whereas with Cogeco the rental fee is incorporated into the rates.

However, the price per month is basically half of Cogeco's Business Starter (sans modem), which makes it god damn enticing.

I'd like to hear what people have to say about both services, or even just Teksavvy--I can hear plenty about Cogeco from the friends who recommended them and said to avoid Teksavvy and Acanac Canada.
A lot of incorrect information you got there.

-You *might* get upto 10mbps, but that is highly unlikely. The 14mbps profile used to be 10mbps, so 7mbps to 10mbps doesnt make sense.
-Cogeco stopped soft caps a long time ago, sometime in 2008. You will get charged overage fees if you go over (cogeco has openly admitted to this).
-Teksavvy uses Bell's line, but their own network. You will be throttled on torrents no matter how much bandwidth you use, whether it is 1gb, or 200gb. There are ways of bypassing it though.
-Yes, DSL speed can vary on distance, however, cogeco (cable) speed will vary with the number of nodes in your area
-A modem costs about $20-25 to buy for DSL
-TekSavvy has amazing customer service, Acanac CS isnt as good.
Old 08-31-2010 at 07:37 AM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post

-You *might* get upto 10mbps, but that is highly unlikely. The 14mbps profile used to be 10mbps, so 7mbps to 10mbps doesnt make sense.
-Cogeco stopped soft caps a long time ago, sometime in 2008. You will get charged overage fees if you go over (cogeco has openly admitted to this).
-Teksavvy uses Bell's line, but their own network. You will be throttled on torrents no matter how much bandwidth you use, whether it is 1gb, or 200gb. There are ways of bypassing it though.
-Yes, DSL speed can vary on distance, however, cogeco (cable) speed will vary with the number of nodes in your area
Considering Cogeco seems to be the only Cable Internet company in Hamilton that should be quite high, unless a lot of people are using DSL instead.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:50 AM   #33
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:

The friend who recommended me Cogeco has a 200GB limit but goes over it consistently by a fair margin--100-300GB per month--and gets no additional charges. Not sure if he had his Internet in 2008 (probably did), so maybe they don't apply the new policies retroactively to existing customers?

Going by Teksavvy's website, they list the cost of the cheapest modem at $75, with $10 shipping. The cable service has a listing of acceptable modems, and the lack of listing for DSL leads me to believe that there is no such restriction for the DSL service. Correct? Which means I can just find any modem online and use it, or will Teksavvy decide to Jew me and tell me otherwise?

Probably going to call them up later and see what they're saying.

Old 08-31-2010 at 10:18 AM   #34
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

You could go for Cogeco's "High Speed Internet Standard" package which will cost you 56.95 + tax. It gives you 60GB download limit. And if you exceed the limit then a maximum of $30 can be charged. So basically you get unlimited download at $98.25 all inclusive at 14 MBPS if you care about the speed. Otherwise if speed is not a big issue then you could go for Teksavvy.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:03 AM   #35
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You can get a TP-LINK modem from Canada Computers or online for under $30. usually $20-$25
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:14 AM   #36
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
You can get a TP-LINK modem from Canada Computers or online for under $30. usually $20-$25
My friend uses this; I can vouch for it :p.