MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-19-2011 at 10:58 AM   #136
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

I mean if beta versions of 3rd party software is all your operating system has going for it...
Old 10-19-2011 at 04:10 PM   #137
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
I mean if beta versions of 3rd party software is all your operating system has going for it...
lol. what?

that is the most ridiculous thing I've read about any extensible platform.

They allow making apps at that level so that it improves the platform.
Old 10-19-2011 at 05:57 PM   #138
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
If you get an app that is updated everyday, that pretty much means its in beta but they dont tell you. its out of beta once the product is fully done and there are very infrequent / no updates. This applies to all platforms.

Take minecraft (http://www.minecraft.net/) for example, its been in alpha and beta for over 2 years, but at any time in its "beta" i felt like it was a complete game

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-19-2011 at 09:41 PM   #139
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

I know what a beta is. Betas are fine and dandy for testing a product and getting the kinks out.

I mean that Apple is known for its ease of use and stability and optimization of iOS, they aren't going to put (other than Siri which is a huge marketing ploy to get users to upgrade to the 4S, but its 1st party anyways) 3rd party beta software in their OS.
Old 10-19-2011 at 10:18 PM   #140
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
I know what a beta is. Betas are fine and dandy for testing a product and getting the kinks out.

I mean that Apple is known for its ease of use and stability and optimization of iOS, they aren't going to put (other than Siri which is a huge marketing ploy to get users to upgrade to the 4S, but its 1st party anyways) 3rd party beta software in their OS.
Android is stable too, so thats not a great argument. the app is as stable as the person that makes it. i was using an app on my ipod that has crashed a few times but as more updates came out then it worked better.

Most of your arguements for apple being the best are not horribly strong. well iphones and ipads may operate faster than many droids, thats because they are often more then $200 more then the top android. the top androids have the best hardware and never have issues, but the problems that happen with lag occur more often on lower end androids that are like $300 that arent nearly as powerful.

I am very pro-competition and am not a fan of any 1 company, which is why i dont like people that are huge fans of apple since they think that apple is the top company ever. andorid is open to everyone so there is a huge selection of phones, which means competition will increase quality and bring price down. this happens with computers as well, where my $800, custom made desktop is more powerful than any $2000 Mac.

Afzal says thanks to Snowman for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-20-2011 at 12:42 AM   #141
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
Android is stable too, so thats not a great argument. the app is as stable as the person that makes it. i was using an app on my ipod that has crashed a few times but as more updates came out then it worked better.

Most of your arguements for apple being the best are not horribly strong. well iphones and ipads may operate faster than many droids, thats because they are often more then $200 more then the top android. the top androids have the best hardware and never have issues, but the problems that happen with lag occur more often on lower end androids that are like $300 that arent nearly as powerful.

I am very pro-competition and am not a fan of any 1 company, which is why i dont like people that are huge fans of apple since they think that apple is the top company ever. andorid is open to everyone so there is a huge selection of phones, which means competition will increase quality and bring price down. this happens with computers as well, where my $800, custom made desktop is more powerful than any $2000 Mac.
There's still something to be said for optimization. The WP7 phones running on 1GHz single core processors still seem to run smoother and more responsively than the current top of the line Android phones (and will probably still feel smother than the 1.5 GHz Dual Core beast that is the Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE when it's released). It seems the performance/optimization issues may just be a problem with Android trying to be all things to all people. It's the same reason why you can't build a $200 computer that'll run games as well as PS3/360.

Anyway, Zango is a huge Apple fanboy so I agree with your basic response, just adding some nuance to the argument.
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:10 AM   #142
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post

The reason iOS runs so smoothly and is so stable is the simple fact that apple both programs the software and makes the hardware to go hand in hand (there are always exceptions like the 3GS with iOS4, but iOS5 seems to run nicely on that). Then you take android and throw it on 100 different phones, i highly doubt any of the handset makers take much time to streamline the code for their devices. Price has nothing to do with it. Android can afford to be cheaper because Google gives it out for free to handset makers. And because there are a number of them its cheap. Price has nothing to do with quality here.

Yes there are certain apps that will give you more crashes than other but I am referring to the overall OS not specific apps.
Old 10-20-2011 at 09:45 PM   #143
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
The reason iOS runs so smoothly and is so stable is the simple fact that apple both programs the software and makes the hardware to go hand in hand (there are always exceptions like the 3GS with iOS4, but iOS5 seems to run nicely on that). Then you take android and throw it on 100 different phones, i highly doubt any of the handset makers take much time to streamline the code for their devices. Price has nothing to do with it. Android can afford to be cheaper because Google gives it out for free to handset makers. And because there are a number of them its cheap. Price has nothing to do with quality here.

Yes there are certain apps that will give you more crashes than other but I am referring to the overall OS not specific apps.
What you said there shows that you actually know nothing about manufacturing process of any phone.

There's a little thing called quality control in every company, google it up. Apple doesn't make its hardware, it buys the hardware from the same manufacturers everyone else buys their stuff from. Heck! Exynos and the next Apple processor are coming from the same company.

The only difference was custom drivers, which is not a concern since 2009 really.

Also, that's why Google has the Nexus phones for reference. The Nexii are made specifically under Google's supervision so all the hardware is used properly by the software.

The overall OS is almost the same actually, if you use an iPhone and see where it lags, you'll see it does something different to account for it (i.e. stops the user from interacting until it's back to normal).

Android, on the other hand, let's the user continue with the operations even in times of lag...which is unnoticeable in the latest phones now.

Freija, Snowman like this.