MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Dentist Jamalf Body & Food 2 03-11-2011 12:36 AM
Is there a campus dentist? rcmp1234 General Discussion 17 03-08-2011 05:55 PM
Campus Dentist TLulu General Discussion 7 01-06-2010 04:48 PM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
Dentist on Campus? Allan General Discussion 11 04-08-2009 10:18 PM

Irresponsible Dentist... Sad story

Old 04-19-2011 at 11:28 AM   #1
destiny_clov

Liked: 0 Times

Irresponsible Dentist... Sad story
So... here is the story. I was looking through the MSU handbook and decided to go to a dentist in Westdale since it's close and convenient.

I gave them all the info they asked for, including an appointment that I had with another dentist earlier due to tooth ache. It was $40, I paid them and I got a cheque from the insurance company. She told me that everything is covered and they would take care of the billing to the insurance company. So for the first appointment, she did tons of X-rays and took tons of pictures. She told me that this would be good for my profile and that I don't need to do these when I come back in the future years><" She cleaned two of my teeth and told to me come back for another appointment.

For the second appointment, she cleaned half of my teeth and told me to come back for another appointment. I showed up to the third appointment on time but the office was closed. I called their other location and waited for a response. They called me back in half an hour saying that the MAC insurance might not be able to cover my appointment so they suggest that I reschedule and pay up front next time. They said that my other dentist used up a lot of money><"(how? $40?) I was shocked. How irresponsible these dentist/hygienists get? Why didn't they let me know that I have to pay before and just decided not to show up? There was no apology and no explanation. They only wanted me to reschedule. A hygienist called back later saying that she left me a message to cancel the appointment, well, I didn't get anything. So I still think that they are irresponsible and not professional. What a waste of my time, I still have exams coming up.

So, I need to get the other half of my teeth cleaned. However, if I need to pay, I would rather pay for a responsible and honest dentist. In the first appointment, they told me that I get $750 for the MSU dental coverage. So i guess I got charged $710 for X-ray, pictures, and half of my teeth cleaned. What is this><" Also, they said that I might need to pay them more. What kind of world is this... Students are not billionaires... (maybe some are, not me)

SOOOOO, if you are looking for a close by dentist, look carefully. Good luck.

Last edited by destiny_clov : 04-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2011 at 11:34 AM   #2
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

all a dentist cares about is money.. They would do anything to rip you off and get some big bucks from you.. Everybody should realize this by now

AmyLia likes this.
Old 04-19-2011 at 11:36 AM   #3
Abyss

Liked: 1 Time

The coverage isn't based on a flat fee but the actual service done. IIRC, one full xray is included with some cleaning, but some are just percentage coverage.
Old 04-19-2011 at 11:40 AM   #4
destiny_clov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
The coverage isn't based on a flat fee but the actual service done. IIRC, one full xray is included with some cleaning, but some are just percentage coverage.
Well, they told me at the first appointment that everything is covered and they would take care of the billing to the insurance company.
Old 04-19-2011 at 11:58 AM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I wanna be a dentist ... but i don't want to be like that ... :(

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 04-19-2011 at 12:06 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Go to Ancaster Dental Arts, I had a GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT experienc with them a couple of weeks ago (and I hate the dentist).

What kind of dentist only cleans half your mouth? What the hell. I got xrays done, a cleaning, and I'm getting 2 of my wisdom teeth out with the Mac coverage (my dad's benefits covers the rest of the fees), but the xrays and cleaning was only like half of the Mac coverage.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

resh.jyoti, RyanC like this.
Old 04-19-2011 at 12:21 PM   #7
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Thank god I have an awesome dentist. Had him since I was a child.

I see him twice a year for check-up and teeth cleaning. My dental hygienist cleans my entire teeth for half-hour or so and my dentist comes in to check my teeth. If there are no problems, I see him in another 6 months. If there are concerns, he'd schedule another appointment with me.

That's what I'd call a responsible dentist.
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:11 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

How are the wisdom teeth covered? Is it two per year regardless of the flat fee? I was charged twice for my consultation recently and I'm wondering if it'll affect the amount that's covered for my wisdom teeth removal :(.
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:17 PM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Westdale Smiles has been good to me...which dentist was this?
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:18 PM   #10
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

It sounds like you were screwed over by this dental office. I have never heard of anyone needing to take multiple sessions to get their teeth cleaned.

Joey likes this.
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:20 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Go to Ancaster Dental Arts, I had a GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT experienc with them a couple of weeks ago (and I hate the dentist).

What kind of dentist only cleans half your mouth? What the hell. I got xrays done, a cleaning, and I'm getting 2 of my wisdom teeth out with the Mac coverage (my dad's benefits covers the rest of the fees), but the xrays and cleaning was only like half of the Mac coverage.
Planning on going there next year; heard a lot of good things about them.
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:29 PM   #12
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
How are the wisdom teeth covered? Is it two per year regardless of the flat fee? I was charged twice for my consultation recently and I'm wondering if it'll affect the amount that's covered for my wisdom teeth removal :(.
I went to ancaster dental arts and they gave me a quote for 350 a tooth or something, they said that mac only covers a percentage of it but they work there way around it so you don't end up paying a cent.

My sister used to go to mac and she got her wisdom teeth removed by them and didnt pay anything, they charged the insurance directly
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:39 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Westdale Smiles has been good to me...which dentist was this?
Pretty much this. I was getting a new patient appointment to sign up with them in January, and they took a lot of care to make sure that every service they were providing me was covered by my insurance first (since I had had a fair amount of dental work done already this year).

I've also worked with the dentist who owns Westside Smiles outside of this, since they're a sponsor of SOCS, and they've been nothing but amazing in both their support and their professionalism.
Old 04-19-2011 at 08:34 PM   #14
destiny_clov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

OK, next year I should try them since it looks like many ppl are saying a lot of good things about them. I should have asked around before going, sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Pretty much this. I was getting a new patient appointment to sign up with them in January, and they took a lot of care to make sure that every service they were providing me was covered by my insurance first (since I had had a fair amount of dental work done already this year).

I've also worked with the dentist who owns Westside Smiles outside of this, since they're a sponsor of SOCS, and they've been nothing but amazing in both their support and their professionalism.
Well, that was what happened to me. Either I was very unlucky or that the service quality depends on the day/hygienist or maybe you had your insurance so it was different. I didn't give names because all I wanted to do is to give people a warning, and all I can do now is go back to my dentist in Markham><"
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:17 PM   #15
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny_clov View Post
OK, next year I should try them since it looks like many ppl are saying a lot of good things about them. I should have asked around before going, sigh...

Well, that was what happened to me. Either I was very unlucky or that the service quality depends on the day/hygienist or maybe you had your insurance so it was different. I didn't give names because all I wanted to do is to give people a warning, and all I can do now is go back to my dentist in Markham><"
not very helpful