MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone took Japanese 1Z06? mimi8330 Academics 4 09-13-2012 07:49 PM
Japanese 1Z06 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 10 04-16-2012 02:33 PM
Japanese 1Z06 AdelaisAer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-16-2011 03:53 AM
Japanese 1Z06 winter02 Academics 9 07-04-2011 04:13 PM
Chinese 1Z06 & Japanese 1Z06 wani Academics 2 08-14-2010 07:38 PM

Japanese 1Z06 Dr. Iwai would appreciate your opinion for help

Old 08-10-2013 at 01:39 AM   #1
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Japanese 1Z06 Dr. Iwai would appreciate your opinion for help
Hello all

I need some advise from anybody who took Japanese 1Z06 with Dr. Tsuneko Iwai. So I'm very interested in Asian culture especially Japanese & Chinese, and I was thinking of applying for a student exchange program in Japan as one of the countries I have in mind. The thing is I'm not that great in Japanese, actually I'm not even good enough to have a proper discussion with anyone other than introducing myself. I managed to get into the Chinese/Mandarin 1Z06 last year so I have an idea of how the characters are, and a bit of a background on Kanji.

My problem is, as expected, the course is totally full and I've had no hope in getting in so far. I however have contacted the department about two months ago to be on the waiting list. I don't think I'm that hopeless yet lol I was just wondering would talking to the prof about accepting me in her course would do me any good and would she be understanding of my situation? I heard she's a fair and nice prof but I don't know why I have the impression that she is strict with university rules, so I don't know ^^"

But it's definitely worth a shot and I'm not willing to give up yet. It's just with my experience in Chinese it wasn't in the instructor's hand whatsoever to accept students and it was really hard to get into that course. So should I just wait for a free spot or go directly to the prof? I'd appreciate your opinions, because if I was to choose going to Japan I better know how to at least speak the basics & I think being in class would be more helpful than teaching myself.

Thanks a ton in advance
Old 08-10-2013 at 01:58 AM   #2
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

I don't think Dr Iwai -could- do anything even if she wanted to [and I believe she would because she is very nice]. It's a very high demand class. Keep trying on Solar as well [I have no idea how waitlists work, but if you're on one and you're trying on Solar too, higher chances, ne?] it might open up. Even after classes begin keep trying until the deadline. Especially the first/second day of class.

Also, it's offered in the summer [and is easier to get into, if that is an option for you]. You don't choose exchanges until 3rd year, so technically you could take first year Japanese in the summer and second year Japanese in your second year, making you no less behind than anyone getting in during this semester

EDIT: I took your profile saying you're in your first year as meaning you're just starting this semester. But as you've taken Mandarin last year, it stands to reason you're in your second year making my "you'd not be behind with summer school" sentiment false.
You could do an exchange in fourth year? [Is this a possibility?]

Galanthus says thanks to Ziggi for this post.

Galanthus likes this.
Old 08-10-2013 at 03:14 AM   #3
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Dr. Iwai can't do anything. I went to her during office hours asking for a seat for the sake of my JET application, and was told to refer to the department.

Your only shots are the wait list or getting lucky on SOLAR.

Galanthus says thanks to Grover for this post.
Old 08-10-2013 at 08:50 AM   #4
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Thank you very much I'm actually a second year, I totally forgot editing my profile. Thanks for the heads up! I didn't really start thinking of the exchange program until the start of this summer if I had this idea earlier I would've went into Japanese instead of Chinese so I'm a bit behind but I think that's fine I'll just have to study extra hard

Unfortunately I'm not too sure about exchange in fourth year. My search shows that applications should be submitted for 3rd year. I guess it would be hard due to graduations in fourth year for some students. But I'll ask the office maybe it is possible. Arigatou gozaimasu :')
Old 08-10-2013 at 06:34 PM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Dr. Iwai can't do anything. I went to her during office hours asking for a seat for the sake of my JET application, and was told to refer to the department.

Your only shots are the wait list or getting lucky on SOLAR.
You're right about third year being the preferred year for an exchange.

Your experience with the administration with the Chinese course may not apply here, because that programme with run under the Confucius Institute, which has been wrapped up.

The advice you got about appealing to the Linguistics and Languages Department is valid. They are often willing to make accommodations, especially if there is a programme-related reason, such as your exchange plan. Humanities has a form to request space in a course.

Bottom line: Hang in, keep pushing!

Galanthus says thanks to oldviking for this post.

Galanthus likes this.
Old 08-11-2013 at 12:08 AM   #6
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'll do my best and I'll give it another shot with the department! Thanks for the advice