MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 McMaster Engineering Musical: The Whiz micadjems MacInsiders Announcements 27 03-20-2011 06:47 PM
McMaster Musical Theatre Presents Little Shop of Horrors RianeL MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-09-2010 07:06 PM
Musical Theatre MKelly General Discussion 2 06-14-2009 07:06 PM
McMaster Musical Theatre Presents Footloose! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 6 02-17-2009 08:06 PM

Joining McMaster Musical Theatre

Old 07-27-2011 at 08:39 PM   #1
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

Joining McMaster Musical Theatre
I'm interested in joining Mcmaster Musical Theatre for their production of Into the Woods this year (it is my fav. musical) But I had some questions that maybe someone who has previously been in mcmaster productions can answer.

-When are auditions? I read that they are usually in October but just making sure it's the same this year.
-When are the dates of the show?
-When are rehearsals each week?
-How much previous musical theatre training is required?
-Can Mcmaster students who are in a program other than arts be in the show?

-I am a second year student who absolutely loves musical theatre. I have had some formal singing training and am in the mcmaster choir. I have done lighting and tech work for 3 shows in high school but I have no experience actually acting in a musical. I am in a chemistry program at Mac. Do you think I would have a chance at getting a good part? (ie. not just a one or two line part. I would still do it if I got a small part but I don' know whether I should get my hopes up for my favourite parts or not)

For anyone who knows the show, I would really love to play Little Red Riding Hood or the Baker's wife (I'm not good enough of a soprano for Rapunzel or Cinderella)

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011 at 08:51 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Have you contacted any of the exec members? Just from the MMT website, here's the contact info of the producer: [email protected] om. I'm sure he'll be able to answer a lot of your questions .
Old 07-27-2011 at 09:04 PM   #3
deaner_123

Liked: 3 Times

Hey Sheikia,

I was involved in the production of "Urinetown" for MMT this year, and let me just start off by saying that I had the time of my life. It was the first play I have ever been in, and never felt too far behind the 8-ball in terms of singing, dancing or acting. So right off the bat, that answers your fourth question.

If you have some natural talent, and a clear ability and potential to improve, that can get you pretty far in auditions. Personally, my audition I felt was pretty poor, yet I somehow still made it in!

Anyway, auditions I believe are right at the end of September, or early October. The auditions are comprised of a singing portion, a reading of a portion of the script in character, a dancing component, and a "minute to impress". The minute to impress is a time for you to showcase any crazy or special skill you have, whether its singing another song, or doing your best impersonation of Gollum's voice.

The show usually is at the end of February, and early March, spanning over 2 weeks. Also, you do not miss too much class with the shows, but I'm lost on exact dates for that sort of thing so you'll have to excuse that. One major thing you should be aware of with MMT is that you ha ve to be willing to stay in Hamilton for reading week. Over reading week, you spend 12 hours a day every day with your cast, doing all the tech rehearsals for the final product. This sounds like a long time, but by that point, the cast is like family, and you learn to have a blast.

Rehearsals each week run on Sundays from 10-4 or 5...can't remember exact time on that either. Again, not as bad as it sounds.

Finally, you can be in any program and participate in MMT. Personally, I was in it coming from a biology background, and the majority of the cast this year were from programs OTHER than music/theatre.

To sum this all up, I couldn't recommend trying out for this more. You will have the experience of your life, make some amazing friends, be part of some incredible parties, and be part of a top notch production that you can look back and be proud of.

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask any other questions!

Sheikia says thanks to deaner_123 for this post.
Old 07-27-2011 at 09:05 PM   #4
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Have you contacted any of the exec members? Just from the MMT website, here's the contact info of the producer: [email protected] om. I'm sure he'll be able to answer a lot of your questions .
Ya thanks I did. I was just looking to get some opinions from people who had been in any of the previous musicals.