Review? lampk Academics 4 08-20-2008 07:59 AM
Review... Nino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-11-2008 01:18 AM
Hello + Review GT_Pure Introduce Yourself 1 09-28-2006 03:24 PM

Kaplan vs. Examcrackers vs. Princeton Review

Old 06-08-2010 at 05:43 PM   #1
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Kaplan vs. Examcrackers vs. Princeton Review
Which of the three has better textbooks to review from (for the MCAT)? Also tell me why you think so ^^
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:13 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

To study by yourself, The Princeton Review Hyperlearning set (the one you get for taking the $2000 course) is probably the best. Exam Krackers is best when used in conjunction with TPRH or Kaplan, it assumes a lot of prior knowledge and can have some tricky practice questions (which is a good thing if you're not relying on it alone). From everything I've heard, The Kaplan set is good, but TPRH has better passages, and you need good passages to prepare for the MCAT well.

So:
TPRH+EK > TPRH > Kaplan+EK > Kaplan > EK

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

tisdelae likes this.
Old 06-08-2010 at 07:52 PM   #3
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Kaplan in my experience is decent. Unfortunately, it was SAT prep, not MCAT. I think their decency(?) can be applied though.

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to dmzz for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 08:11 PM   #4
tisdelae

Liked: 0 Times

I definitely agree with BJ.
I'm currently taking the TPR Hyperlearning course, and it's very succesful.
For someone who didn't have a lot of the prior knowledge I have found the tutorial component extremely helpful, but the books are very thorough in that for many of the sections I would have felt comfortable even without the classroom component (except for Orgo - since I have no experience with Orgo I needed the classroom!)

I have an exam krackers textbook for Physics and purchased it last year, couldn't get through the first chapter's practise Qs without getting stressed out because the info they "taught" in the chapter did not apply at all to the questions (too much prior knowledge was expected)

I have no experience with Kaplan.

Hope that helps!

If you already have a good understanding of the elements of the MCAT, then see if you can purchase the TPR textbooks off of someone who has taken the course before - because the course is EXTREMELY expensive if you don't think you're going to make good use of the classroom time.

-Ash.
B.Sc. (Life Sciences)
Nursing III

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to tisdelae for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 08:19 PM   #5
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

It depends on your level of knowledge and what subjects you've already done.

Examkrackers specifically tells you they assume a lot of prior knowledge as if you were to have taken a course in these subjects and if you need to learn them they have a second series of books called 1001 or something which teaches you the stuff.

As a sci student who just finished second year, having taken bio, chem, 2 orgo chems, two physics, and more bio, i really like the Examkrackers prep but of course i wont rely on it alone and would caution you not to rely on any one as well. If possible ask your other friends who may be studying for MCATs to lend you their books as well.

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to aviaf for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 08:49 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

TPR has far too much detail than necessary. Kaplan is more focused on strategies, but covers the material sufficiently.

But, the Exam Crackers 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning book is really good for practice. The passages are similar to the actual AAMC test in length and difficulty.

Mr.Prodigy says thanks to Lois for this post.