MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, can anyone review my timetable ? ruby101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2010 10:45 PM
Can someone please review my timetable? aya. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-09-2010 08:04 PM
Informal review? Charbs Academics 5 03-19-2010 09:53 AM
Review? lampk Academics 4 08-20-2008 07:59 AM
Hello + Review GT_Pure Introduce Yourself 1 09-28-2006 03:24 PM

Review...

Old 08-10-2008 at 10:08 PM   #1
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Review...
With three weeks left until the big move to McMaster, I am worried that I might be a little rusty about the stuff I learned in grade twelve. I have been partying all summer and enjoying it but I think it might be time for me to look over the stuff I learned. So my question is whether it would be necessary for me to review the stuff I learned in grade twelve because I don't want to go to McMaster and end up all confused during the lectures or would we be doing review during the first few weeks there? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2008 at 10:31 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You're going to HATE my answer.

But it all depends on your high school. Some schools do not prepare their students well for university at all, while others prepare them so well that a lot of first year is review. I don't know what your school is like...so I can't really comment.

If you feel like it would be a good idea, review what you've learned. It can't really hurt in the end for you to do so.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-10-2008 at 10:38 PM   #3
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Haha that's true but I'm wondering if they review some of the stuff learned from high school like Biology, Chemistry and Calculus because I am enrolling in the Life Science program. I work almost everyday which is why I'm worried about whether I'd be able to review things before getting there.
Old 08-10-2008 at 10:50 PM   #4
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey nino. i went on vacation the summer before i went to mac. yay vacation! i didn't review at all and it was really bad cause i took calc in gr. 11 so it was a long time since i've done math. i had my biology and chem during the first term of gr. 12. so if you think about it... i didn't do any calc, bio or chem for 7 months! i never reviewed a thing before i went to uni either.. maybe i should have.. lol.. anyways.....back to the point

I think it was fine actually if you don' thave the time to review. During the first week, all your classes will just be basic review. so for your first 2-3 classes its review. Then they start building on a bit. but really, some of the stuff i leanred throughout the year, i felt like i have already learned in highschool (but keep in mind, my highschool is different from yours). If you do have the time, i woudl suggest just skimming through your highschool notes. GEnerally, i wouldn't worry about it as much cause they will review and make sure everyone will be on a similar pace during hte first week. if you realise you dont' rmb anything during the first week, then start reviewing more!!! that's what i think.. enjoy your summer!
Old 08-11-2008 at 12:00 AM   #5
MohitB

Liked: 3 Times

Ah Thanks for this thread. I was thinking the same thing. I would suggest to do some light skimming to review the main things you learned in Grade 12. It can only help you and getting used to the new study habits in university. Try to practice learning by yourself, it'll help you a lot.
Old 08-11-2008 at 12:55 AM   #6
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

That's a very good point Mohit! about practicing to learn by yourself...really important in university. I would suggest to review a bit, but don't worry too much. Most profs do a review in the beginning, spend some time on assumed knowledge that you should know from highschool. However, it's better to start understanding the basics now than to get lost later on. It's hard to catch up once you've fallen behind.
Old 08-11-2008 at 01:18 AM   #7
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Sounds good. Thanks, guys...I'll try to look over the important concepts from Grade 12 for the courses I'll be taking in first year. Let's just hope I can fit that in with my crazy work schedule and my partying.