MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you should be keeping in mind ... Rossclot General Discussion 3 04-26-2010 11:41 AM
Keeping in Touch, with a Mac. goodnews.inc General Discussion 18 07-19-2009 12:11 AM
Am I keeping my options open?!?! jimimusic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 07-09-2009 09:53 PM
Keeping in Touch with Your Representatives - The SRA Blog casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-16-2009 01:03 PM

Keeping bugs outta the house.

Old 09-18-2009 at 04:47 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
>_< Unfortunately my roomates suck.

And actually, I think I saw a RED ant the other day. Or a tiny red spider. It was weird.

Just as a funny note: I haven't been in my bathroom all day, and actually showered in someone elses. And plan to do so for a very long time. xD

Edit: Jeff, now that you said silverfish... I googled it, and I think that's what it was. GROSS.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._centipede.jpg

Definitely just gave myself goosebumps. So they're just coming in 'cause it's cold? It's not ;cause we're dirty or anything?
No, most people will see an increase in insect activity in their houses this time of year... it's getting cold at night and the insects are looking for warmth.

If it was because you were dirty, then you would have had this problem for much longer and it would be throughout the house, with different species of insects.
Old 09-18-2009 at 04:55 PM   #17
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I second the de-humidifier idea.

My parents live in a fairly old house, which means that the basement is damp. Unfortunately my bedroom at their house is in the basement which is (in)conveniently placed above the Hellmouth of centipedes. Seriously, I used to see 4 or 5 of those bastards a day.

My dad bought a de-humidifier and almost instantly we saw less of them. He just leaves it running during the day, empties the tank at night and then leaves it off so the noise doesn't bother anyone while they're trying to sleep.

Long story short, try picking up a cheap one at Wal-Mart and Home Depot and see if that helps.
Old 09-18-2009 at 05:09 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
No, most people will see an increase in insect activity in their houses this time of year... it's getting cold at night and the insects are looking for warmth.

If it was because you were dirty, then you would have had this problem for much longer and it would be throughout the house, with different species of insects.
Question. Why is it only the basement? The basement is the coldest area of our house. o_O

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-18-2009 at 05:16 PM   #19
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Its cool and damp in the basement where they thrive but the -30 winters in Calgary make it unsuitable for a lot of insects to live. Also the basement is the most accessible place for them to enter because you will get cracks in foundations, windows at ground level that they are able to slip through
Old 09-18-2009 at 05:17 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Question. Why is it only the basement? The basement is the coldest area of our house. o_O
Your original post was talking about the bathroom...

The basement generally has lots of critters for a few reasons:

1) Like people have said, it's moist. Basements tend to have moist, damp air, and insects and other critters like that.

2) It may have a cooler average temperature, but it's warmer than outside, especially at night/in winter, and more importantly, the temperature is more stable. A place that always stays the same temperature is considerably more habitable than a place that could heat up or cool down uncontrollably at any time

3) It's darker... most arthropods don't like being exposed to bright light

These are a lot of the same reasons you'll find bugs under logs and rocks and stuff... moisture, consistent temperature, and shelter.
Old 09-18-2009 at 05:33 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Your original post was talking about the bathroom...

The basement generally has lots of critters for a few reasons:

1) Like people have said, it's moist. Basements tend to have moist, damp air, and insects and other critters like that.

2) It may have a cooler average temperature, but it's warmer than outside, especially at night/in winter, and more importantly, the temperature is more stable. A place that always stays the same temperature is considerably more habitable than a place that could heat up or cool down uncontrollably at any time

3) It's darker... most arthropods don't like being exposed to bright light

These are a lot of the same reasons you'll find bugs under logs and rocks and stuff... moisture, consistent temperature, and shelter.
Oh ya, sorry. I'm in the basement, and we have a bathroom in the basement. And the bug was originally on a ceiling, but when I ran by it, it ran into the bathroom. >_<

Thanks for the info. I knew they liked damp areas, but it didn't make sense to me since our basement is pretty darn cold. And it's reassuring that it's not 'cause we're dirty. >_<

Also. Under logs always reminds me of black widows. I think my heart would stop. Lmao.

Old 09-18-2009 at 05:50 PM   #22
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

if u wana get rid of ants, just feed them this fungus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
Old 09-18-2009 at 06:04 PM   #23
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Also. Under logs always reminds me of black widows. I think my heart would stop. Lmao.
I am never going near a log again. In fact, just to be safe, I'll stay away from trees, and anything made from wood or paper. All my notes will now be chiseled into stone.

niteskie likes this.
Old 09-18-2009 at 07:13 PM   #24
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

There is another place that you should look out for them except the occurrences have dropped quite considerably so it doesn't warrant much attention anymore but I will only expand if there is demand because I don't want to frighten people away from the great outdoors.
Old 09-18-2009 at 08:03 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
There is another place that you should look out for them except the occurrences have dropped quite considerably so it doesn't warrant much attention anymore but I will only expand if there is demand because I don't want to frighten people away from the great outdoors.

telll meeeeeeeeeeeee

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-29-2009 at 07:11 AM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Oh jesus.

I just had a centipede the size of a grown man's entire thumb in my room. I had to effing wake my roomate up at 7:30.

I feel like I'm gonna vomit. ._. I STILL have goosebumps, and it's been 40 minutes.

I ****ing hate this place.

Old 09-30-2009 at 02:59 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Oh jesus.

I just had a centipede the size of a grown man's entire thumb in my room. I had to effing wake my roomate up at 7:30.

I feel like I'm gonna vomit. ._. I STILL have goosebumps, and it's been 40 minutes.

I ****ing hate this place.
I'm pretty sure the longer you live in the house, the less and less bugs you will see. The day I moved in and the following week or two there were TONS of spiders. They were everywhere. But I don't see any at all anymore. I think the last time I saw a spider was last week.

I also had a centipede in the living room last week.

Either all the bugs have gotten ninja training, they all left or it's just too damn cold in my house (I'm pretty sure it's under 20 right now...).
Old 09-30-2009 at 03:01 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm pretty sure the longer you live in the house, the less and less bugs you will see. The day I moved in and the following week or two there were TONS of spiders. They were everywhere. But I don't see any at all anymore. I think the last time I saw a spider was last week.

I also had a centipede in the living room last week.

Either all the bugs have gotten ninja training, they all left or it's just too damn cold in my house (I'm pretty sure it's under 20 right now...).
Hopefully the first part of your comment is true, b/c as of now, I HATE this house. >_<

And my landlord brought me a dehumidifier. Lmao. So hopefully it friggin works! D:

Old 09-30-2009 at 03:03 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Hopefully the first part of your comment is true, b/c as of now, I HATE this house. >_<

And my landlord brought me a dehumidifier. Lmao. So hopefully it friggin works! D:
Wait a second... you live in the basement and the landlord didn't initially provide a dehumidifier? o.O
Old 09-30-2009 at 03:11 PM   #30
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Wait a second... you live in the basement and the landlord didn't initially provide a dehumidifier? o.O
Yea.

That's exactly what I said. Here's the e-mail I sent him:

"Hey Kevin. I'm just wondering, do we have a dehumidifier in this house (89 haddon south)? The amount of centipedes we're getting is just disgusting... plus it doesn't help that I have an inherent fear of creepy-crawlies. :S

Thanks,
Cheri."

And he came by that night and put one in. I barely even asked. XD