MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:38 PM   #181
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Infront of the student centre, someone changed the P's to B's and wrote "butts" at the end.
"KGButts"

Uhhh...

'KGB' was better, methinks

Old 03-05-2010 at 12:52 PM   #182
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
"KGButts"

Uhhh...

I think the people/person who changed the P's to B's are different than the people/person who added "Butts".

The B's were added yesterday. The butts were added today (I think).
Old 03-05-2010 at 01:39 PM   #183
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

What will they add next!!??!! :O

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:02 PM   #184
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

Some thoughts:
Not all people that believe in God are religious
Not all people that believe in the bible are religious
Everything (science or beliefs) has a faith aspect to it at least to some degree
The bible (and Jesus) says to love your neighbour and your enemy. If people who call themselves Christians hate in the name of Jesus or God, are they really Christians?

Joey likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:05 PM   #185
melchizedek

Liked: 35 Times

just one question:
is anyone on here actually seeking truth? are we actually trying to understand the other person?
or is the true motivation for all this thrusting and parrying simply to convince others and ourselves that what we already think to be true is, in fact, true?

i dare you to get past the connotations of the word "thrusting" and honestly answer the question...

drez99 says thanks to melchizedek for this post.

drez99 likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:13 PM   #186
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I thought the KGB is worse than the original KGP. Now instead of having some abbreviation no one knows, our campus is littered with the initials of a Stalinist spy agency best remembered for its assassinations of its own citizens at the request of their psychotic dictator.

Yay Mac!
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:41 PM   #187
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
i dare you to get past the connotations of the word "thrusting" and honestly answer the question...
Sorry...all I saw was thrusting and that made me think of other un-holy acts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I thought the KGB is worse than the original KGP. Now instead of having some abbreviation no one knows, our campus is littered with the initials of a Stalinist spy agency best remembered for its assassinations of its own citizens at the request of their psychotic dictator.

Yay Mac!
Imagine what visitors to mac must think.. 0_o
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:46 PM   #188
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Imagine what visitors to mac must think.. 0_o
Leaving from class in BSB today, i passed a family with a kid around 8 on their way in, presumably to the planetarium. I can just imagine the kid asking "Whats KGB?" to his parents, as they exchange awkward looks with each other.
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:49 PM   #189
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Okay.. a lot of valid points were made here. But honestly, everything that was said won't change someone's belief. Whoever is already christian, jewish, muslim, atheist, buddhist, sikh, of if you believe in just evolution even, etc will REMAIN what they are. Simply supporting your own religion or attacking another's won't change SH*T. You guys completely diverted off the topic of the thread. Audriana was merely asking what KGP stood for, not why it's there, who did it, what are they implying, what do they want, etc. And seriously, like other people mentioned several times, there are a lot of things that bother all of us, but as soon as it turns into a conversation about faith and religion we all suddenly pop up and start making a whole big deal out of it. Why?! I have my religion and you all have yours. If I want to explore your religion I'll do so by will and on my own. Similarly, I will defend what I believe in, within limits of not offending others, and just simply stating a point, not implying that the other person is wrong or anything. And at the same time, I expect others to respect my view too. Seriously, we're past the childish arguing, yet the thread keeps growing and growing day by day...

Afzal, Bree_21 all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

camais likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:51 PM   #190
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Leaving from class in BSB today, i passed a family with a kid around 8 on their way in, presumably to the planetarium. I can just imagine the kid asking "Whats KGB?" to his parents, as they exchange awkward looks with each other.
Wow.. I'm speechless..
Old 03-05-2010 at 02:54 PM   #191
drez99

Liked: 2 Times

In an attempt to try and shift the conversation towards something more worthy of intelligent aethiest and theist university students, and going along with melchizedek's comment:

"is anyone on here actually seeking truth? are we actually trying to understand the other person?"

Why don't we do this... :p

If you are a theist, why don't you post why you believe what you believe?
If you are an aetheist, why don't you post why you believe what you believe?

Old 03-05-2010 at 03:14 PM   #192
Mowicz
Elite Member

It's probably got something to do with the fact that this is a University forum, and not a debating forum. In addition, it's a thread about some chalk markings made around campus, and not directly about anything.

But hey, what do I know...I'm just a troll right?
Old 03-05-2010 at 04:11 PM   #193
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
First note that my 'thought experiment' was intended to be particularly silly as I thought this thread needed a bit of a lift.

But yes, you're bang on...we could adapt all that stuff into the analogy. The moral of the story is not that Evolution is wrong...it's that science makes mistakes. It's all a part of growth.

But besides that, there's even dispute regarding DNA's specific influence in genetic variance...scientists are investigating a theory that it isn't the 'coding' or 'dna similarities' that are the best indicator of genetic offspring, and instead it may be the introns/exons...namely the specific way the DNA is cut/assembled, that are a better indicator.

You'll note that I never said evolution is wrong...I'm simply pointing out that there may be other ways to fit the facts that we haven't even considered. You do need to see every word on a page is in english to conclude every word is in english. To conclude every part of the theory is correct, you need the entire theory.

And yes :p that does make the theory of gravity wrong. Ask a physicist.
I did manage to pick up on that :p

I do realize that science can be wrong. And criticisms of a theory are necessary to refine it, to get it closer to the truth. However, we are merely talking about refining evolution at this point, not talking about overthrowing it. In the same way that we aren't talking about throwing out the theory of gravity, we're adding to it so that it can explain every case.

Do you have a link to that DNA stuff? I searched a bit but couldn't really find it, I'd be really interested in reading it. My understanding was that the "cutting" of the DNA was regulated by the code itself.

We might find that some parts of evolutionary biology need to be refined, but we won't be finding that the core principles are wrong. It works too perfectly.

--------------------------------------

I don't want to actually get into what I believe and why, but I will present this. I have no problem with faith, when people don't take religious texts to be science or history books. I have no problem with faith when it is not used as a substitute for common sense. And even then, I don't have a problem with it- unless they start pushing for others to adapt that same form of thinking.

drez99 likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 04:19 PM   #194
harmonysky

Liked: 1 Time

they better be using their own money to pay for all that chalk and not club funding through student fees =)
I feel that school shoould be a place to go without being bombarded with religious advertisements by students. It's a place to chill.. study and relax. Each person choses to believe or not believe in their own God. It doesn't matter what religion you are or if you don't believe in god itself... It's just stupid seeing KGP written across every surface by idiots who claim and pride themselves in "knowing god". I especially didnt like it being drawn in classrooms and on res doors. I mean.. seriously. Consider that there's different people out there with different views... if you found god and know him/her personally.. that's great! but don't bother me with that news!

Joey likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 06:20 PM   #195
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysky View Post
they better be using their own money to pay for all that chalk and not club funding through student fees =)
I feel that school shoould be a place to go without being bombarded with religious advertisements by students. It's a place to chill.. study and relax. Each person choses to believe or not believe in their own God. It doesn't matter what religion you are or if you don't believe in god itself... It's just stupid seeing KGP written across every surface by idiots who claim and pride themselves in "knowing god". I especially didnt like it being drawn in classrooms and on res doors. I mean.. seriously. Consider that there's different people out there with different views... if you found god and know him/her personally.. that's great! but don't bother me with that news!
I agree. I think it's okay when certain clubs or groups on campus hold discussions or meetings, and they put posters in the student centre and things like that. But when it's plastered all over campus on the ground, it's just annoying. It's even on the sidewalk leading up the hospital. I'm fine with people celebrating their beliefs and getting together with people who feel the same way, but it doesn't need to be advertised in such an "in your face" manner. It's on the chalkboards in leture halls and the profs have to waste time erasing it all .. It's just such a waste and so unnecessary. I know a lot of groups write on the ground with chalk, and it's usually no big deal - but this time it's too much. I just want to come to school, relax and not have to deal with this kind of stuff.

As for cleaning it up, I think someone on this thread said it will be "washed away by the rain in 2 days". It's obviously not going to rain in 2 days so I'm guessing it's going to be there for a while.

syan9184 says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.