MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-05-2010 at 08:29 AM   #166
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez99 View Post
slightly ignorant comment... :s
Is speaking from experience ignorant now?

micadjems likes this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 08:32 AM   #167
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Thats the most retarded and ill-informed post i've seen on these forums yet. Gratz.
Because you said so? Damn, my life is meaningless.

See you have it backwards: Ad Hominem is not a logically acceptable response. If you have a dispute with a point I've raised let me know...until then, try to keep quiet and avoid drawing unnecessary attention to yourself. Because right now, it just looks like you're bitter because I've given an argument you can't counter. (So counter it.)

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2010 at 08:34 AM   #168
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Lmao, there is so much hate in this thread right now.
All the problems in the world could be solved by abolishing all religions.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-05-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Old 03-05-2010 at 08:50 AM   #169
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
The irony is, because there are so many holes in evolution (whether true or false) that it's possible to disregard evolution completely without completely missing the facts...instead what you're disregarding, is 'filling in the details.'

Here's a little thought experiment:

Suppose we all die out as a species and the planet becomes desolate. In zillions of years, a race of Transformers (just for fun) comes to Earth and begins to dig into its crust in search of scientific evidence.

After some digging, they come across some modern cars, like say, a Mustang. They dig even deeper and find some Model T's.

Optimus Prime then makes a hypothesis: The Mustang evolved from the Model T. (which is clearly absurd, and it completely disregards the interaction with human beings. The analogy is, more people get sick during the Christmas Holidays...do we then conclude the Christmas Holidays make people sick? No, there are other factors such as the cold weather/stress, which are being overlooked)

---------------

While I'm not saying that, beyond all doubt, I'm certain that this is an incorrect assumption (assuming we evolved based on fossils), it is a leap in the logic...we've been conditioned to say 'of course we did, there are bones.' But examining raw facts doesn't mean too much...there are no facts that give us this causal relationship between homo habillus and homo erectus (let's say). It's simply the best guess science has at the moment. Some day it may change drastically, should we ever come up with a more thorough, more complete explanation for what happened.

Personally I'm more inclined to believe that human beings are silly and are likely to have made an incorrect assumption somewhere...and that someday evolution will be refined into something completely different because science is dynamic, it's ever-changing. Besides...I don't feel like a monkey. ):

So I pitch to you: I'm technically denying evolution in this post, does it seem like I'm disregarding facts? I'm choosing logic (in essence, my personal interpretation of the facts) over other peoples' opinions/explanations of them. In essence I am choosing faith but I'm not choosing it over fact.
Actually, yes. You are disregarding facts. Because evolution isn't just some hypothesis to explain fossils we found, there is much more to it than that. You're ignoring interspecies similarities, mitochondrial DNA lines, vestigial features, etc. I know you've learned about these things since you got into Kin, and I know that some of them could easily be adapted into your thought experiment. But evolution boils down to the logic that traits that get passed on stay around, those that don't die out.

Yes, science is dynamic. And yes, we might end up revising evolution to some extent. That doesn't make it wrong, any more than the theory of gravity is wrong because it doesn't work perfectly on extremely small or extremely large objects. I don't need to see every word on a page to know that its in English, having small parts of a theory that need to be revised doesn't make the idea wrong.
Old 03-05-2010 at 08:54 AM   #170
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

In the olden days when they didn't know how something happened god did it.

Now we're smarter than that right?

(or I guess nowadays it just 'doesnt exist' if science proves it http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/sc...04climate.html)

Last edited by micadjems : 03-05-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: OOh a link!
Old 03-05-2010 at 09:28 AM   #171
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

This Mowicz guy cracks me up. Easily the biggest troll on macinsiders.
Old 03-05-2010 at 09:32 AM   #172
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Actually, yes. You are disregarding facts. Because evolution isn't just some hypothesis to explain fossils we found, there is much more to it than that. You're ignoring interspecies similarities, mitochondrial DNA lines, vestigial features, etc. I know you've learned about these things since you got into Kin, and I know that some of them could easily be adapted into your thought experiment. But evolution boils down to the logic that traits that get passed on stay around, those that don't die out.
First note that my 'thought experiment' was intended to be particularly silly as I thought this thread needed a bit of a lift.

But yes, you're bang on...we could adapt all that stuff into the analogy. The moral of the story is not that Evolution is wrong...it's that science makes mistakes. It's all a part of growth.

But besides that, there's even dispute regarding DNA's specific influence in genetic variance...scientists are investigating a theory that it isn't the 'coding' or 'dna similarities' that are the best indicator of genetic offspring, and instead it may be the introns/exons...namely the specific way the DNA is cut/assembled, that are a better indicator.

Quote:
Yes, science is dynamic. And yes, we might end up revising evolution to some extent. That doesn't make it wrong, any more than the theory of gravity is wrong because it doesn't work perfectly on extremely small or extremely large objects. I don't need to see every word on a page to know that its in English, having small parts of a theory that need to be revised doesn't make the idea wrong.

You'll note that I never said evolution is wrong...I'm simply pointing out that there may be other ways to fit the facts that we haven't even considered. You do need to see every word on a page is in english to conclude every word is in english. To conclude every part of the theory is correct, you need the entire theory.

And yes :p that does make the theory of gravity wrong. Ask a physicist.
Old 03-05-2010 at 09:47 AM   #173
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

lol 10 pages of arguments over something (god/religion) that has no evidence at all to support its existence. Nice work everyone. I learned to ignore the religious crazies a while ago.

Thought I'd post this because it's relevant and hilarious. Enjoy:

Shmowen says thanks to Taunton for this post.

micadjems, Shmowen like this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 09:57 AM   #174
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lmao, these is so much hate in this thread right now.
All the problems in the world could be solved by abolishing all religions.
I don't know about all the problems (there are certainly some nutjobs who we can't blame on religion) but I agree with the general sentiment about organized religions.

I'm not anti-faith, if people want to believe in God or whatever else that's their own business. Its when these religious groups start trying to force their own beliefs on society at large (note I'm not talking about the KGP chalking) that I start to have issues. Like the whole gay marriage thing in the US and elsewhere in the world (and even in Canada to a lesser extent given the current law). Marriage is a legal institution as it stands now and for a religious group to try and bar others from attaining certain legal benefits and rights based on their personal, religious beliefs a heinous injustice. I have more problems with the US based on their issues surrounding the Religious right than I do with the stereotypical ugly American.

Organized religion has become a justification for hatred and intolerance and its disgusting. Hating in God's or Jesus Christ's name is just so warped. So many hateful and devastating things in this world stem from religion (ie terrorism) and its just so sad.

I'm inclined to believe that a man like Jesus existed, whether or not he was divine or the son of God is a different question entirely. If he lived though and if he was how he has been described I imagine he would be horrified at all the hatred spewed in his name. If Jesus loved everyone why can't his followers?

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent but I just agree with Cheri's general sentiment so much. So many of the world's problems stem from religion.

drez99, Shmowen like this.
Old 03-05-2010 at 09:58 AM   #175
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Thats the most retarded and ill-informed post i've seen on these forums yet. Gratz.
Did you even take highschool biology?
It seems as if you missed the point of that passage entirely. Is that what they taught in high-school biology?

Just from an observational point of view - it seems that a lot of forumers are having trouble separating the argument from their opinions of religion's influence in the modern world (alternatively, discussing the topic descriptively rather than prescriptively - thanks Linguistics 1A03, for the verbatim)

Last edited by Mahratta : 03-05-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2010 at 10:19 AM   #176
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post

Just from an observational point of view - it seems that a lot of forumers are having trouble separating the argument from their opinions of religion's influence in the modern world (alternatively, discussing the topic descriptively rather than prescriptively - thanks Linguistics 1A03, for the verbatim)
I think its more that we have multiple discussions going on simultaneously.

We're discussing KGP, Creationism/Evolution and the evils of Religion all at once even though they're all separate issues.
Old 03-05-2010 at 10:41 AM   #177
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

http://fora.tv/2009/10/07/Richard_Da..._Show_on_Earth

There.
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:16 PM   #178
Kathy2
Elite Member

Infront of the student centre, someone changed the P's to B's and wrote "butts" at the end.
Old 03-05-2010 at 12:19 PM   #179
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Wasn't me, I swear...
;D

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-05-2010 at 12:27 PM   #180
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

haha yes I noticed too! Pretty funny~